TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Does this hole in bumper need covered?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by fasteddie7, Oct 7, 2017.

1. fasteddie7

fasteddie7 Member

Recently had a fender bender. Small hole in my bumper and seems like park assist is out, even though it doesn't seem to be too close to the sensor. (Pic attached) do I need to cover this with electrical tape until repair or is it best to leave it be? image-20171006_194445.jpg

2. kevinf311

kevinf311 Member

If you've got tape handy, might as well tape over the hole. Of course, I think our area is about to get hammered with some rain/thunderstorms (tomorrow and Monday) since I washed my car last night, so the tape might not last. I'd still probably tape it if it were me.

I had a small fender bender last year that took down one of my parking sensors temporarily. Like yours, there was no actual damage to the sensor, but the flex in the nose cone (or bumper in your case) was enough to smush the wires leading from the sensor to the rest of the car. Easy fix for me, just popping off the nose cone and repairing the wires. Yours might be a bit more involved.

• Informative x 1
  3. BrettS

BrettS Member

I’m sure it wouldn’t hurt if it makes you feel better, but I don’t think it’s necessary. Stuff behind the bumper cover is pretty waterproof, since water can splash up behind there as you drive through puddles and such.

4. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

It nothing to worry about.

5. zackmilo

zackmilo Chrome Delete and lowering champion

This:

Attached Files:

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  6. whitex

whitex Active Member

I'd cover it, even if only with some white electrical tape as a temporary measure (clean the bumper first so it will stick). The area under the rear bumper is fairly well enclosed by plastic (more than front) so maybe Tesla wanted it shielded from most of the water.

• Informative x 1