Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does this look like dual chargers to you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These are in addition to the utility transformers. I don't think I have seen nameplates, but they are white boxes, one per Supercharger cabinet. You can see them stacked on the left side of this picture:

3ed24d30-ae9b-4cd4-95d9-444a21022729-jpeg.299551

Close picture of the boxes: Imgur

A whole bunch of them at Kettleman:
griddo-png.260326

I found one picture showing some information on one of them: (Not sure if they are all the same.)
img_1820-jpg.216858

So does that show going from 504v to 480v, or the other way around?

Nice find and great pictures!

To answer your question: The buck/boost transformer could go either direction, but I think the only logical explanation is that they are using them as buck transformers to drop the voltage 5%.

I think you have nailed the question on the head. They are likely using the newer series chargers that have challenges with the higher voltages and so they are using a 5% buck autotransformer on the input to all of them.

Extremely fascinating. Also, this seems like a massive product miss. I would love to know the story on why they can't support 277v + or - the necessary utility fluctuation range. How did Tesla screw that up? Or was it intentional as it made some key components cheaper?

Reactions: MP3Mike
I'm a bit late to the thread, but the 1st couple pages intrigued me. I have dual chargers on my June 2015 Build MS85D.
I lifted the seat, lo and behold dual 2nd gen 48A chargers.
Hope this helps
View attachment 344514 View attachment 344515
It's a 2015 car, so those are still the 40A chargers. We already went over that previously in the thread, that the 48 RMS marking isn't how they are actually used.

Reactions: Muzzman1
I'm a bit late to the thread, but the 1st couple pages intrigued me. I have dual chargers on my June 2015 Build MS85D.
I lifted the seat, lo and behold dual 2nd gen 48A chargers.
Hope this helps
View attachment 344514 View attachment 344515

Ok, so now I want pictures of the label on the chargers currently shipping in Model S and X units (the 48 and 72 amp ones). I am curious if they actually say on them that they are only good to 282 volts or whatever (hence the 277v issues since there is not enough headroom for utility fluctuation). Anyone want to lift a seat?

Super easy, you just have to pull straight up with a lot of force, not wiggle, in two spots. left and right right where there is most resistance
While yanking up on the forward edge of the seat will do, Tesla has a specific procedure to release those two retainers, to avoid, in their words, "warp[ing] the cushion".

Tesla recommends using a trim remover tool (like this) (and not used in the usual way; see instructions below) to push the seat's pin from the socket.

61QMLsxDMxL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Seat_Cushion-Lower-2nd_Row_(Remove_and_Install)_FRT_No._13021101.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H