Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does this look like dual chargers to you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
See photos. Should the second slave charger be on the left seat side, where there currently is an empty space?
IMG_1049.jpg
IMG_1055.jpg
IMG_1054.jpg
IMG_1053.jpg
IMG_1052.jpg
IMG_1051.jpg

See photos. Should the second slave charger be on the left seat side, where there currently is an empty space?

No, that isn't dual chargers. But dual chargers aren't even an option for that vehicle. (You can't add a slave charger to the newer cars.)

You have a never vehicle and it can come with either a 48A or a 72A charger, and that one is clearly labeled a 48A variant. (The older cars had either one or two 40A chargers, so with dual chargers you could charge at up to 80A.)

No, that isn't dual chargers. But dual chargers aren't even an option for that vehicle. (You can't add a slave charger to the newer cars.)

You have a never vehicle and it can come with either a 48A or a 72A charger, and that one is clearly labeled a 48A variant. (The older cars had either one or two 40A chargers, so with dual chargers you could charge at up to 80A.)

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/SB-10081836-5448.pdf

So does this bulletin not apply to my vehicle? The way it's written leads me to believe it does (2nd gen charger)

• Helpful
Reactions: David99
Your signature says you have a 2014 Model S, your photo shows that it's a GEN2 charger.
It doesn't look like the 2nd charger is installed to me, and yes your car falls under this bulletin.

Quote from the bulletin:

NOTE: If the vehicle has a 1st generation charger, do not perform this procedure; refer to SB-12-44-005 instead.
NOTE: If the vehicle has a 3rd generation charger, do not perform this procedure; refer to Toolbox article 28740 to perform
the “High Amperage Charger Upgrade”.

From the above, It looks like all newer Model S and Model X have a GEN3 charger, which is software upgradable from 48A to 72A. IIRC, the 72A charger upgrade used to be an option when you order, then changed to a service center upgrade only option. I don't know if it has changed since.

OP maybe helpful to list car ...duals went away when refresh came u either got a 48 or 72 ..some early one had software upgradeable 48s
Yeah, definitely, @rjscoder could you list the month and year of your car? That would make this much easier. Because it layout kind of looks to me like it would be a single out of dual chargers, but the label on the one says it's 48A, which would seem to indicate it's not, so I'm just a little lost.

Actually, dead simple answer is this: Does your car have the new updated facelift "nose" or not? If it's pre-facelift, then it had the single/dual. If it's post-facelift, then they had switched to the 48/72 one only chargers.

Reactions: P85_DA
Yeah, definitely, @rjscoder could you list the month and year of your car? That would make this much easier. Because it layout kind of looks to me like it would be a single out of dual chargers, but the label on the one says it's 48A, which would seem to indicate it's not, so I'm just a little lost.

Actually, dead simple answer is this: Does your car have the new updated facelift "nose" or not? If it's pre-facelift, then it had the single/dual. If it's post-facelift, then they had switched to the 48/72 one only chargers.

Manufactured: 03/2014. It has the nose cone, pre facelift. So how do I have the 48? My console only allows 40 AMP max, is this a mistake, and it should instead be 80?

Enough about the chargers... how easy is it to lift the rear seat, as you've done there. Is there a trick? (I haven't even tried yet).

There's a marble rolling around under the rear seat and is starting to drive me nuts clinking around.

Super easy, you just have to pull straight up with a lot of force, not wiggle, in two spots. left and right right where there is most resistance

Reactions: scottm
Manufactured: 03/2014. It has the nose cone, pre facelift. So how do I have the 48? My console only allows 40 AMP max, is this a mistake, and it should instead be 80?
Well there ya go then. That's the same month and year as mine. That is the single/dual 40A chargers. I'm a little mystified at the 48 number then. Maybe the old ones were a little overbuilt and not running at their max level?

Please do. Took me all of 5 seconds to pull it up
All right, I went out at lunch, so I went ahead and pulled up my back seat. Side note for people doing this: pull up on the front edge of the seat. From one of your pictures, I had the impression it came up from the back, and I pulled on that for a bit with no success.

So mine is from March 2014, and I know it is the single 40A charger. It looks exactly like yours does in every detail. The single charger is under that back right seat, and the empty space under the back left. And yes, I looked at several of the key things from the label:
ASY CHRGR GEN2
And for INPUT, it does say 48A RMS

So I'll bring it back to your original post to find out what question you were trying to ask. You had some PDF of a service bulletin, which I did try to read through, and it looked like the description of the job to add the second charger. Is that all you are asking? You just want to find out if you can get the second charger added to your car? If so, then that is definitely yes.

All right, I went out at lunch, so I went ahead and pulled up my back seat. Side note for people doing this: pull up on the front edge of the seat. From one of your pictures, I had the impression it came up from the back, and I pulled on that for a bit with no success.

So mine is from March 2014, and I know it is the single 40A charger. It looks exactly like yours does in every detail. The single charger is under that back right seat, and the empty space under the back left. And yes, I looked at several of the key things from the label:
ASY CHRGR GEN2
And for INPUT, it does say 48A RMS

So I'll bring it back to your original post to find out what question you were trying to ask. You had some PDF of a service bulletin, which I did try to read through, and it looked like the description of the job to add the second charger. Is that all you are asking? You just want to find out if you can get the second charger added to your car? If so, then that is definitely yes.

Okay, good to know it's a common thing. Thanks for checking!

Out of curiosity I pulled my seat up. Mine is also a March 2014 Model S with a single charger. Looks the same. Also labeled 48 Amp. It says GEN2. I remember seeing one that had an upper input voltage of 277 Volt. This one has a 300 Volt limit. Everything is ready for the second charger to be installed. The coolant tube has the right length to be hooked up and it just bridged. The junction box has the cutout with a cover on it.
2018-09-17 14.09.45.jpg

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA and rjscoder