Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does this mean it has FSD? (Buying used model x)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello!

I’m buying a used 2020 model X and curious if this means it has fSD. The dealer does not seem too sure but says no, but to me it looks like it does…

On the software screen under full self driving compatibility it says ‘included package’

Under software it says ‘FSD Beta 10.12.2’

Autopilot computer: full self driving computer

Tesla wipes out FSD, free Supercharging for life when transferred to a dealer whereas private sellers it doesn’t.
It may depend on whether the former owner purchased another Tesla with FSD. One of the things folks are supposed to do when upgrading cars, is to request that FSD Beta be removed from their previous vehicle before getting the feature activated on their new vehicle. It does not remove FSD from the purchased options, but it might remove the beta from operating, forcing the new owner to apply for access to the beta.

Even though I traded in to Tesla, I did all that. Though I still have not been able to get FSD Beta activated on my new car, despite managing to maintain a 100 safety score. Annoying, since I had the feature for nearly a year, on my 2018

• Informative
Reactions: FOOLSLFDRVNG
"Autopilot computer: full self driving computer" means its capable not that is has it
"full self driving compatibility: included package" means its activated.
If you buy through a 3rd party dealer and they got it from Tesla via action it will likely be removed after ownership transfer (in app) so make sure you have in writing that it has the actual software, not just the hardware.

I agree with folks have said on this thread. If the previous owner had FSD subscription, it would also state 'Included Package'. In such a case, the subscription will expire at the end of the month. Someone who has the FSD subscription can probably add more details to help OP.

It may depend on whether the former owner purchased another Tesla with FSD. One of the things folks are supposed to do when upgrading cars, is to request that FSD Beta be removed from their previous vehicle before getting the feature activated on their new vehicle. It does not remove FSD from the purchased options, but it might remove the beta from operating, forcing the new owner to apply for access to the beta.

Even though I traded in to Tesla, I did all that. Though I still have not been able to get FSD Beta activated on my new car, despite managing to maintain a 100 safety score. Annoying, since I had the feature for nearly a year, on my 2018
I don’t think FSD beta is the concern but FSD for the OP. From what I heard here as soon as dealers or auctions make the purchase from previous owner and sells to a consumer private owner, FSD is removed. I wouldn’t even chance it as 12k value unless the dealer is willing to guarantee. There has been several post here every time it was sold private FSD was transferred while license dealers triggers Tesla to delete it.

I don’t think FSD beta is the concern but FSD for the OP. From what I heard here as soon as dealers or auctions make the purchase from previous owner and sells to a consumer private owner, FSD is removed. I wouldn’t even chance it as 12k value unless the dealer is willing to guarantee. There has been several post here every time it was sold private FSD was transferred while license dealers triggers Tesla to delete it.
Actually, I'm pretty sure I've heard the opposite.

First: There's the FSD subscription, where one pays for FSD on a month-by-month basis. And there's the bit where one buys the FSD option, as in forking out (these days) ten or twelve grand, and one has FSD in perpetuity. That's what I have. The below is about this bought FSD option.

Case 1: Somebody has a Tesla with FSD. They trade it in for a new Tesla at a Service Center. The car is now in Tesla's hands, Tesla (importantly) has the title: They remove FSD, and sell the car without it. Their prerogative, the buyer of the used car knows that it doesn't have FSD.

Case 2: Somebody has a Tesla with FSD. They walk into a non-Tesla location (Car Max, a Ford dealer, whatever). They sell the car and get money for the car with the additional value of the FSD included. Car Max, the Ford dealer, whoever, has the title, sells the car to a new owner, with the knowledge that the car has FSD on it, and the new owner forks over the value of the car, including the FSD option.

In Case 2, if Tesla comes down from on high at some point and removes FSD, that's theft, and no two jokes about it. Unless Tesla pays the new owner the value of the FSD they just removed. Which Tesla has never done.

Now, a couple years back, there was a big kerfuffle. There were several people, maybe a dozen? Who did the back end of a Case 1 and bought a used Tesla from Tesla. The problem: Tesla had been planning to remove FSD from these cars but forgot. So, they came down after the fact and removed FSD when the cars were in possession of the new owners. OK, so maybe the cars weren't priced as if they had FSD on them. The new owners were delighted with their new purchases and were happy to have the FSD. Losing FSD like that got them to the point where steam was coming out of their collective ears and the next thing you know there were articles in online places like Ars Technica, Tesla Forums everywhere, and it was getting into dead-tree publications.

It wasn't exactly like Tesla was.. doing something.. wrong, except that they got the timing of all this with the removal after selling those FSD-equipped cars very, very wrong. And the lawsuits, they were a'coming. And Judges and Juries can get very picky about stuff getting removed from sold objects after the fact, be it software or no, be it advertised or not. So, Tesla blinked first, restored FSD to that selected group, and that was that.

Far as I know, that's the situation. If the OP bought the car from somebody, and the chain of ownership didn't involve Tesla (and that means: If the Tesla in question is owned by, say, CarMax, and CarMax takes it to a Tesla SC for a tune-up and general check, Tesla doesn't own the car and should not be removing any FSD options), then the FSD should stay on the car.

Now, if Tesla showed up at an auction, bought the car, buffed out the dents, removed FSD (it's their car at that point), then sold it at auction again, that's their call to do that. When they have actual ownership of the car. Otherwise, no.

Now, if Tesla showed up at an auction, bought the car, buffed out the dents, removed FSD (it's their car at that point), then sold it at auction again, that's their call to do that. When they have actual ownership of the car. Otherwise, no.

Still many reports of Tesla stripping FSD AFTER the car is sold and in the hands of a new owner if the car passed through Tesla's hands at some point during the sale (e.g. car traded in to Tesla, then Tesla sold at auction to another dealer). Supposedly the ownership change in the app triggers the removal of FSD.

It would be important for the OP to know where the car came from. Did the dealer get the car as a direct trade in or did they purchase from an auction?

Still many reports of Tesla stripping FSD AFTER the car is sold and in the hands of a new owner if the car passed through Tesla's hands at some point during the sale (e.g. car traded in to Tesla, then Tesla sold at auction to another dealer). Supposedly the ownership change in the app triggers the removal of FSD.

It would be important for the OP to know where the car came from. Did the dealer get the car as a direct trade in or did they purchase from an auction?
What I suspect happened is that Tesla removed FSD Beta only, since the new owner did not qualify for it. Easy way to check is to drive on a multi-lane highway, turn autopilot w autosteer on, and see if automatic lane change works. That requires FSD. All the very enhanced information will be gone, since the Beta is not present.

If Tesla ever took ownership through a trade-in, lease return or whatever, all bets are off as you suggest.

Hello!

I’m buying a used 2020 model X and curious if this means it has fSD. The dealer does not seem too sure but says no, but to me it looks like it does…

On the software screen under full self driving compatibility it says ‘included package’

Under software it says ‘FSD Beta 10.12.2’

Autopilot computer: full self driving computer
you have it then

Thanks man I appreciate the response!
And, FWIW: There's been reported cases of Tesla buying used cars without FSD, putting FSD on the cars, and selling them at a higher price. Basically, all over the map.

The general point: If Tesla actually owns the car, title and all, they can do whatever they want to it. Take FSD off? Sure. Put FSD on? Sure. Paint it a different color? Why not! It's their car.

Taking FSD off a car that they have in for service, or doing it remotely: Nope.

There was a big foo-fer-aw some years back where some punters had bought used cars from Tesla and discovered, to their delight, that the FSD option was installed. At that time, Tesla had been in the habit for cars that they bought used of removing FSD. So, after the punters had their cars, Tesla magically, remotely, removed the option. Kind of like, "Oops, we forgot to do that!". But the point was that, at this point, those weren't Tesla's cars any more.

Cue Mad As Heck Punters who were telling all and sundry about their experience, it was all over the tech press (like here) and working its way towards major newspapers, and lawyers were in the offing. At which point somebody sane in Tesla's hierarchy got involved, restored those punters back their FSD option, and that was the last time that happened.

So nowadays, if one walks into CarMax, buys a Tesla with FSD upon it, one gets to keep it. No question. Trips to a Service Center or not.

Reactions: FOOLSLFDRVNG
And, FWIW: There's been reported cases of Tesla buying used cars without FSD, putting FSD on the cars, and selling them at a higher price. Basically, all over the map.

The general point: If Tesla actually owns the car, title and all, they can do whatever they want to it. Take FSD off? Sure. Put FSD on? Sure. Paint it a different color? Why not! It's their car.

Taking FSD off a car that they have in for service, or doing it remotely: Nope.

There was a big foo-fer-aw some years back where some punters had bought used cars from Tesla and discovered, to their delight, that the FSD option was installed. At that time, Tesla had been in the habit for cars that they bought used of removing FSD. So, after the punters had their cars, Tesla magically, remotely, removed the option. Kind of like, "Oops, we forgot to do that!". But the point was that, at this point, those weren't Tesla's cars any more.

Cue Mad As Heck Punters who were telling all and sundry about their experience, it was all over the tech press (like here) and working its way towards major newspapers, and lawyers were in the offing. At which point somebody sane in Tesla's hierarchy got involved, restored those punters back their FSD option, and that was the last time that happened.

So nowadays, if one walks into CarMax, buys a Tesla with FSD upon it, one gets to keep it. No question. Trips to a Service Center or not.
Thanks for being a guarantor. Will this be co-signed by you personally or on your family trust?

Reactions: Huntfortelsa