Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does This Plug Charge a Tesla Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Friends!

I have just ordered my Tesla Model 3 yesterday and joined this great community. My first question is about charging.

In my garage, I've found the attached plug* and got pretty happy, thinking that I wouldn't need an electrician visit, but I couldn't find Tesla-specific information about that plug anywhere, so maybe I was wrong :)

Would you mind helping me identify that plug, and letting me know if/how I can make this work? (On Tesla's website, I couldn't find any adapters that fit. I've found this adapter on Amazon from a 3rd party [https://www.amazon.com/AC-WORKS-Charging-Adapter-Straight/dp/B0733GXHTW] but couldn't make sure if it would be safe to use.)

Thank you in advance!
Ozan

* Plug says 50A-125/250V and 10-50 on it.

(I'm sorry if it's discussed before, but I couldn't find it as I don't know how to search for it in the first place :)

Attachments

• IMG_9009.jpeg
    IMG_9009.jpeg
    576.4 KB · Views: 168
Hello Friends!

I have just ordered my Tesla Model 3 yesterday and joined this great community. My first question is about charging.

In my garage, I've found the attached plug* and got pretty happy, thinking that I wouldn't need an electrician visit, but I couldn't find Tesla-specific information about that plug anywhere, so maybe I was wrong :)

Would you mind helping me identify that plug, and letting me know if/how I can make this work? (On Tesla's website, I couldn't find any adapters that fit. I've found this adapter on Amazon from a 3rd party [Amazon.com: AC WORKS EV Charging Adapter for Tesla Use (10-50 50A 3-Prong Straight Blade to Tesla): Home Improvement] but couldn't make sure if it would be safe to use.)

Thank you in advance!
Ozan

* Plug says 50A-125/250V and 10-50 on it.

(I'm sorry if it's discussed before, but I couldn't find it as I don't know how to search for it in the first place :)
I was surprised that Tesla Shop does not have the 10-50 adapter. It has the 6-50 and 14-50 but the 6-50 is out of stock.

You could have an electrician do one of two things:

1). The 10-50 is L1, L2 and Neutral. The 6-50 is L1, L2 and Ground. You could have the electrician change the receptacle to a 6-50 and change the Neutral to Ground in the panel. Then purchase a 6-50 adapter from Tesla when in stock.
2). If the electrician can add a ground wire to the receptacle box, then you can replace the 10-50 receptacle with a 14-50 and, purchase the Tesla 14-50 adapter. The 14-50 is L1, L2, Neutral and Ground.

I was surprised that Tesla Shop does not have the 10-50 adapter. It has the 6-50 and 14-50 but the 6-50 is out of stock.

1). The 10-50 is L1, L2 and Neutral. The 6-50 is L1, L2 and Ground. You could have the electrician change the receptacle to a 6-50 and change the Neutral to Ground in the panel. Then purchase a 6-50 adapter from Tesla when in stock.
2). If the electrician can add a ground wire to the receptacle box, then you can replace the 10-50 receptacle with a 14-50 and, purchase the Tesla 14-50 adapter. The 14-50 is L1, L2, Neutral and Ground.
Thank you for your quick reply @jdcolins5!

So, as far as I understand, getting this adapter is definitely not an option, and I'll need an electrician to figure this out for me.

But I guess it won't be as hard as doing all the wiring. At least (and I hope) the existing plug covers some part of what has to be done :)

Thank you @RayK!

This one seems to do the same thing, and has lots of reviews to check out, so I was leaning toward it, but a few reviews made me a bit skeptical. They say there is a fire hazard, and you should check the plug from time to time to see if there is any melting, etc. That sounds pretty scary to me, especially as someone who absolutely has zero knowledge about electricity :)

I don't really want to pay an extra $500-600 to an electrician for a Wall Charger installation, but I guess that would be the inevitable end of my story :)

This is what I'd do. It's the easiest path forward. EVSE Adapters makes high quality adapters using genuine Tesla adapters, so all the safety stuff in the adapter still works.

If you're concerned, you could have an electrician come out to verify the outlet, wiring, and breaker are appropriate sizes and connections tight. But he might decide to try to upsell you...be clear what you want.

Don't buy the el cheapo one off Amazon you linked. It will not provide the same temperature sensing and auto shut off in case of high temps in the outlet since it won't be touching the outlet. And you will need to still buy the 14-50 adapter from Tesla.

• Love
Reactions: ozan and Rocky_H
The evse adapters are all well made, and very respected here on these boards. It would be less than a wall connector, as well. I would recommend taking a look at the one @RayK linked to, before planning to get a wall connector, unless that is what you wanted in the first place.

Reactions: ozan

OR...... You could go to The Home Depot and buy a 10-50 plug and a 14-50 outlet plus a couple feet of 6-3 w/ground. Five minutes with a screwdriver and you have your adapter. I have made a good half dozen adapters for my car. It's not rocket science. And it's a lot cheaper that Tesla's adapters.

• Disagree
Reactions: ozan and Rocky_H
OR...... You could go to The Home Depot and buy a 10-50 plug and a 14-50 outlet plus a couple feet of 6-3 w/ground. Five minutes with a screwdriver and you have your adapter. I have made a good half dozen adapters for my car. It's not rocket science. And it's a lot cheaper that Tesla's adapters.
True, if you have know-how and confidence to make your own. I make my own for my emergency generator to my house panel. Tesla adapters at $35, I would rather buy one if Tesla has it rather than make one.

I was going on the assumption that the OP did not have a lot of electrical knowledge due to his question.

*facepalm*
So someone could go make a trip to the hardware store and buy some parts and try to put a thing together to make this 10-50 to 14-50 adapter pigtail device and then.....do what with it? Seriously. What would someone plug into that? You seem to be forgetting that Tesla doesn't include a 14-50 plug anymore. This person still wouldn't have a 14-50 plug and would STILL have to go buy one from Tesla ANYWAY for $45 in addition to those parts you are suggesting. How in the world is that better than just buying the excellent $59 10-50 plug from EVSEAdapters that does still have the temperature sensor in the plug head?!

Your suggestion would be worse AND more expensive AND less safe.

I agree with option 1 above. Have someone change your 10-50 to a 6-50 by switching the receptacle and faceplate, and switch the neutral wire to ground in the panel. I am not an electrician and it would take me lessmins. For an electrician it should be a 5 minute task tops. I have a 6-50 at my house and my in-laws and charge using it for 70% of my needs with no issues to date.

good luck. Your house is almost ready!!

I agree with option 1 above. Have someone change your 10-50 to a 6-50 by switching the receptacle and faceplate, and switch the neutral wire to ground in the panel. I am not an electrician and it would take me lessmins. For an electrician it should be a 5 minute task tops. I have a 6-50 at my house and my in-laws and charge using it for 70% of my needs with no issues to date.

good luck. Your house is almost ready!!

Thank you, rtrelkins!​

So there seems to be two main options:

1. Change 10-50 to 6-50 with a little help from an electrician
2. Buy the EVSE 10-50 adapter and simply connect it to the Tesla charger

Reactions: Rocky_H
@ozan Path of least resistance (and most likely the cheaper alternative, especially if you have to hire an electrician) is #2. The only "problem" that I can see is that a 10-50 plug may be somewhat limiting in that it doesn't seem to be too popular. In other words, when you are traveling the odds favor running into one of the other 50A outlet types.

However, you should get an estimate on how much it will cost you to switch the 10-50 outlet to a 6-50 and then divide that cost by $60. That will be the number of different Tesla Gen2 NEMA adapters you could get, assuming you had to get them all from EVSEadapters. Tesla sells (when they're in stock) them from $35-$45 apiece so your overall cost can be lower. Personally, I have 5 Gen2 adapters, along with two plug converters (TT-30P to 14-30R and 14-30P/14-50P/14-60P to 14-50R) to cover most anything I might see. I haven't used any of them yet; but like a good Boy Scout, I'm prepared.

@ozan Path of least resistance (and most likely the cheaper alternative, especially if you have to hire an electrician) is #2. The only "problem" that I can see is that a 10-50 plug may be somewhat limiting in that it doesn't seem to be too popular. In other words, when you are traveling the odds favor running into one of the other 50A outlet types.

However, you should get an estimate on how much it will cost you to switch the 10-50 outlet to a 6-50 and then divide that cost by $60. That will be the number of different Tesla Gen2 NEMA adapters you could get, assuming you had to get them all from EVSEadapters. Tesla sells (when they're in stock) them from $35-$45 apiece so your overall cost can be lower. Personally, I have 5 Gen2 adapters, along with two plug converters (TT-30P to 14-30R and 14-30P/14-50P/14-60P to 14-50R) to cover most anything I might see. I haven't used any of them yet; but like a good Boy Scout, I'm prepared.
Thank you RayK! That's whole a lot of preparation on your end! Looks like a decent collection of adapters! :)

I don't think I would be able to travel a lot, and when I do in rare cases, I guess the Tesla Superchargers or the other ones with the standard SAE J1772 connector would be enough for me.

If the EVSE adapter is safe and fast enough (I can expect 20-30 miles per hour, right?), that should be it for me.

Reactions: Thp3
Connecting your Gen2 Mobile Connector to a 50A outlet (breaker) will yield about 30 miles of range per hour, as long as you have a Long Range/Performance car. If it's a Standard Range Plus, then it can only charge at a rate of 30A (limited by the on-board charger in the car). That will yield about 22MPH.

ref: Onboard Charger

Connecting your Gen2 Mobile Connector to a 50A outlet (breaker) will yield about 30 miles of range per hour, as long as you have a Long Range/Performance car. If it's a Standard Range Plus, then it can only charge at a rate of 30A (limited by the on-board charger in the car). That will yield about 22MPH.

ref: Onboard Charger
Well, no. There won't be any difference if using the mobile charge cable. That cable limits at 32A. The Standard Range cars you're talking about also have an onboard charger that can do a max of 32A, so that's matched. The Long Range cars' onboard charger can do up to 48A, but again, it would be limited by the cable to 32A anyway, so you can't get more from that method.

Thank you @RayK and Rocky_H, that has been very helpful.

22 miles per hour makes a full charge overnight, and that's more than enough for my daily needs.

(Btw, my only regret is that I wasn't aware of the referral system before placing my order. I should have used a friend's link to get some Supercharger miles :)

Well, no. There won't be any difference if using the mobile charge cable. That cable limits at 32A. The Standard Range cars you're talking about also have an onboard charger that can do a max of 32A, so that's matched. The Long Range cars' onboard charger can do up to 48A, but again, it would be limited by the cable to 32A anyway, so you can't get more from that method.
Oopps, sorry. I stand corrected :) .