Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does tinting the roof reduce the heat?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So you think your insurance won’t cover you if you are drunk, speeding, running a red light, etc???
No (if found over legal limit). Yes. Yes. Depends.

Modifying your vehicle to be out of legal compliance with public road vehicle regulations creates an opening for the insurance company to claim you breeched the contract entered into with the policy.

Reactions: Stirfelt
The only thing allowed on the windshield is 100% transmittance (clear) film...

It doesn't need to be 100% (because basically nothing is) but it does need to be close enough to count as "clear". My understanding is that 90% 3M Crystaline counts as "clear". Some shops, that have been doing this a long time, default to installing Spectra Photosync 75 on the windshield (EVS here in Houston does). That's near the fuzzy line though.

It doesn't need to be 100% (because basically nothing is) but it does need to be close enough to count as "clear". My understanding is that 90% 3M Crystaline counts as "clear". Some shops, that have been doing this a long time, default to installing Spectra Photosync 75 on the windshield (EVS here in Houston does). That's near the fuzzy line though.

You're right, nothing will be 100% transmittance. But to be no-questions-asked legal, it should be the clearest that the company makes or offers.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
So you think your insurance won’t cover you if you are drunk, speeding, running a red light, etc???

If you make a mistake and are speeding, or make a mistake and run a red light, you insurance covers you. That's what it's for, because people aren't perfect.

But you're going to have a very difficult time trying to claim that your too-dark window tint that you paid several hundred dollars to have someone else install on your car was just a mistake.

Visually it is tinted yes, but it has 0 cermaic/heat rejection capability. The 3 needs ceramic tint all around including windshield to be tolerable driving in the sunny states.
The glass above the driver's head is heat protected. It's a two sheets of glass that sandwich a ceramic film between them.

This was validated by our tint shop who just did our Model 3 this past Friday. We did Suntek CIR 30 on the side windows, 80 on the windshield (one piece) and 30 on the back glass (one piece). No film added to the overhead glass because it comes protected from the factory.

The two photos are the doors at 30 and then the through the windshield at 80

Attachments

• 20180921_165003.jpg
    20180921_165003.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 309
  • 20180922_163640.jpg
    20180922_163640.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 280
I haven't tinted my roof, but I can confirm that the roof shade helps with the heat that seems to be emanating from the glass in the sun. I suspect tinting wouldn't help with that particular issue since the glass will still heat up.

The shade also helps to prevent glare from the sun at certain angles. I like it so much that I haven't taken it out since I got it, but I'm glad that I have the option in case I want to brighten up the interior. In my view this is a must-have accessory if you live in a sunny climate (the car should really have an integrated shade like most other cars with panoramic roofs).

I can also confirm that the shade helps a lot. It’s almost a “ Must have”.

Too much heat is hitting the top of my balding head. ....It is not an issue of cracking. I also know about the roof shade insert, which I will order if people say tint won’t help......suggestions. Thanks!

Roof Shade is better, To put it in a simple way (I am not a thermo nuclear scientist) the Sun is Hot the Earth is Hot, but space between is cold. i.e., Radiant Heat. Hot Glass (including tinted Glass) is the Sun and Balding Head is the earth. Put something in between to absorb some of that radiant heat.