Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does tinting the roof reduce the heat?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Too much heat is hitting the top of my balding head. My car is going into the tint shop Monday and the proprietor says adding tint on the roof glass will not help at all. Does anybody have experience with this, who can comment on whether it helps or not?

It is not an issue of cracking. I also know about the roof shade insert, which I will order if people say tint won’t help. Also please hold the bald jokes, including Rogaine suggestions. Thanks!

I ordered the roof shade I leave mine on all the time big difference blocks the heat and glare. Noticed a difference in the front seats it's darker/more shade than the rear seats. Rear window is tinted one piece 45%.

You do lose about 2 inches with the shade installed but head room is a non issue for me. Easy to remove and fold up/store away if you decide to enjoy the front glass roof.

• Informative
Reactions: JPUConn and DR61
We are going to tint our Windshield with a Suntek 80 film to help with some of the heat opportunities through the glass. When we did our test drives a few weeks ago, especially sitting in the back seat, we noticed the build up of heat as we drove down our Texas Highways. One solution that helped was the A/C, in the rear seat, aimed higher towards the roof. This circulated the heated air from the glass and it did make a difference. When my Wife and I switched, she's shorter than I am and wasn't affected by the heat issue. I moved my Driver's side vents to do the same for the front and I really didn't feel the Heat while in the driver's seat either. I also lowered my Driver's seat all the way to the floor, to give me more space between the top of my head and the glass. This didn't affect my driving position or visibility at all. Our main purpose to tint is because the Model 3 will by my Wife's daily driver, 110 miles round trip, daily. That's two hours of Texas Heat, per day that she'll deal with as well as how long the car sits in an open parking lot during the day. I guess we'll find out in time, if our decision makes sense or not.

I did Suntek Carbon XP 35 on front/rear side windows, back window, and roof (35 is darkest allowed in Texas). It definitely reduces the heat coming through the roof. Now, the roof is already factory tinted, and the 35% window tint on top of it makes it really dark. You can see the sun and other items through it during the day, but at night it's pretty much opaque. It doesn't bother me, but just know that before you tint the roof.

• Informative
Reactions: apacheguy
Too much heat is hitting the top of my balding head. My car is going into the tint shop Monday and the proprietor says adding tint on the roof glass will not help at all. Does anybody have experience with this, who can comment on whether it helps or not?

It is not an issue of cracking. I also know about the roof shade insert, which I will order if people say tint won’t help.
I haven't tinted my roof, but I can confirm that the roof shade helps with the heat that seems to be emanating from the glass in the sun. I suspect tinting wouldn't help with that particular issue since the glass will still heat up.

The shade also helps to prevent glare from the sun at certain angles. I like it so much that I haven't taken it out since I got it, but I'm glad that I have the option in case I want to brighten up the interior. In my view this is a must-have accessory if you live in a sunny climate (the car should really have an integrated shade like most other cars with panoramic roofs).

Where did you find the roof shade for the Model 3? I looked at the Tesla online shop and the only thing I saw was the front glass mesh shade which only covers the front part of the glass roof over the drivers, but not the part of the glass roof where the rear passengers sit. (Or is that the one you were referring to?)

Where did you find the roof shade for the Model 3? I looked at the Tesla online shop and the only thing I saw was the front glass mesh shade which only covers the front part of the glass roof over the drivers, but not the part of the glass roof where the rear passengers sit. (Or is that the one you were referring to?)
Yes, that's the one I was referring to. It probably doesn't help for rear passengers.

I did Suntek Carbon XP 35 on front/rear side windows, back window, and roof (35 is darkest allowed in Texas). It definitely reduces the heat coming through the roof. Now, the roof is already factory tinted, and the 35% window tint on top of it makes it really dark. You can see the sun and other items through it during the day, but at night it's pretty much opaque. It doesn't bother me, but just know that before you tint the roof.

Just a slight correction. Texas law allows up to 25% tint on the side windows. For the back window, you can tint as dark as you like as long as you have side mirrors.
TxDPS - VI Window Tint Program

I have SunTek ceramic CIR 30 on my side windows. The full back and sun roof area is 20%. I wanted 30 all around but the shop where I did it only had 20 that was big enough to cover the back. I also did the front windshield at 70%. This makes a big difference especially when driving. It's actually hard to tell that the windshield is tinted.

If my car has been sitting in the sun for a while, I do feel the heat on the top of my head when I get in the car. I guess the dark color does absorb some heat and radiate it.

Yeah, you have to remember that the car itself can still get hot regardless of tint. The tint is only affecting the direct heat from the sun that would come through the glass (not ambient). So a car sitting somewhere in the sun will get just as hot. But when you are driving, that sun shining through the window is where you will notice the difference. A good quality IR tint will block almost all of the direct heat from that light. That can make a big difference in your driving comfort.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: X-pilot and Russell
Texas law allows up to 25% tint on the side windows.

You have to be really careful on this. The Texas law states that the legal limit for total light transmission is 25% when measured in combination with the original glass. Auto glass by itself has a 7-8% attenuation, so in practical terms, you cannot put less than about 35% transmittance film onto that glass otherwise the combination will be below 25% transmittance.

Different states word this differently in their laws. Some states like Texas specify the total transmittance of film + glass, while other states specify the limitation of the film alone.

Some Texas law enforcement departments do have access to a transmittance meter that they can and will use on your film + glass combination, and will cite you if the combination results in less than 25% light transmittance.

I also did the front windshield at 70%.

Not legal in Texas without a medical exemption. The only thing allowed on the windshield is 100% transmittance (clear) film or 25% total transmittance (film + glass) if it's above the AS-1 line.

Just some general advice to all: Don't violate your state's window tint laws. Bad things can happen. If you have an accident at night and your insurance company finds out your window tint isn't legal, they have grounds to refuse to cover you, even if the window tint had nothing to do with the accident.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
I Tinted all windows in the car with 3M Crystalline, including the large rear window. But I did not tint the roof because the shop owner told me that it wouldn't help. Well, I can feel a noticeable difference between the roof and the tinted portion of the rear window -- the part that comes up right next to the roof. I saved some money by not getting it tinted, but when I have some time off from work, I'm taking it back in. They did a phenomenal job, but I need one more surface tinted before I can be totally happy. I'll get the 70% (or 90% if they have it) tint so as not to reduce upward visibility that much, but that 3M Crystalline makes a HUGE difference, even on the glass that Tesla already tinted for us.

• Helpful
Reactions: X-pilot
I Tinted all windows in the car with 3M Crystalline, including the large rear window. But I did not tint the roof because the shop owner told me that it wouldn't help. Well, I can feel a noticeable difference between the roof and the tinted portion of the rear window -- the part that comes up right next to the roof. I saved some money by not getting it tinted, but when I have some time off from work, I'm taking it back in. They did a phenomenal job, but I need one more surface tinted before I can be totally happy. I'll get the 70% (or 90% if they have it) tint so as not to reduce upward visibility that much, but that 3M Crystalline makes a HUGE difference, even on the glass that Tesla already tinted for us.

I'm trying to decide on the right tint % for the sunroof. My tint installer recommended (XPEL Prime XR) 45 there so it matches the rear window (which he also recommended 45 on vs 35) but I think it will end up being too dark since it is dark already. I had been thinking more of 55 or 70 myself. Granted, the difference between 45 and 55 isn't much.

Just some general advice to all: Don't violate your state's window tint laws. Bad things can happen. If you have an accident at night and your insurance company finds out your window tint isn't legal, they have grounds to refuse to cover you, even if the window tint had nothing to do with the accident.

So you think your insurance won’t cover you if you are drunk, speeding, running a red light, etc???