Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does tire size affect the displayed range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It should. That's why your car has to restart every time you go change the wheel type.

I should say that it affects estimated range. That number next to your battery is a math equation from the EPA number and the battery Kwh and that shouldn't change from changing the wheel.

• Informative
Reactions: Zorak03
It should. That's why your car has to restart every time you go change the wheel type.

I should say that it affects estimated range. That number next to your battery is a math equation from the EPA number and the battery Kwh and that shouldn't change from changing the wheel.

the reason I was wondering is my car (MR) went from 264 down to 244 within a very short time after the big smart summons update. I have the 19” wheels so I was wondering if that was the reason. 244 seems to be pretty accurate based on all my trips.

Yes, if the wheel size is changed in the onboard computer, it will affect the max range that the car will display when it’s fully charged. However, the displayed max range does not necessarily reflect the true max range of the car. I have a Performance Model Y with 21” Uberturbine wheels. I swapped out the 21” stock wheels with 20” TSportline TSS wheels and had the Tesla service center update the computer to reflect the new 20” wheels. My max range increased to the range corresponding to the stock Model Y 20” Induction wheels even though my 20” TSS wheels may not provide that range (not as aerodynamic). I believe with the Model 3 (unlike the Model Y), the user can change the wheel size in the computer.

Reactions: jjrandorin
All showed the same. Maybe it was just the software version but it changed nothing.
18”, 19” and 20”

Attachments

• F1866A60-D2F4-409A-9B7F-C29D8F7D58DF.jpeg
    F1866A60-D2F4-409A-9B7F-C29D8F7D58DF.jpeg
    20.9 KB · Views: 496
  • 480F023B-ED36-424B-A63E-F6DD8747829A.jpeg
    480F023B-ED36-424B-A63E-F6DD8747829A.jpeg
    20.9 KB · Views: 328
  • BB7F1965-7A89-490E-A328-ADE054110BA7.jpeg
    BB7F1965-7A89-490E-A328-ADE054110BA7.jpeg
    20.5 KB · Views: 290
  • D0CE6362-4181-4935-B4FB-863E365236E2.jpeg
    D0CE6362-4181-4935-B4FB-863E365236E2.jpeg
    19.8 KB · Views: 303
  • DBD6EB43-6027-4BAA-BA5E-DF7EB0D87F69.jpeg
    DBD6EB43-6027-4BAA-BA5E-DF7EB0D87F69.jpeg
    19.9 KB · Views: 361
It doesn't change the range, but it changes the calculation used for range estimation. It even says it right in the wheel change window. I can't watch right now, but in this video I tested it and the different calculation meant arriving with ~3% less battery with 20" wheels on the TM3 vs 18" wheels if I remember correctly.

The calculation difference with different wheels has always been a thing, but with this update Tesla allowed us to change the wheels ourselves. Previously, only Tesla could change the wheels in the software.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
As stated above, the wheel choice does not affect the displayed range.
Possibly the Model Y is different than the Model 3 on how it adjusts the displayed range with wheel configuration. My Performance Model Y originally displayed a calculated max range (fully charged) of around 280 mi with the stock 21” Uberturbine wheels, consistent with the EPA range estimate of this car at that time. After I swapped out the 21” Uberturbine wheels with 20” third-party wheels, I had the Tesla service center update my wheel size to the 20” wheels. My displayed range went up to around 300 miles. (The user cannot yet update wheel size on Model Y.) The 300 mi range was also consistent with the EPA range estimate for the Long Range Model Y with stock 20” Induction wheels. Unfortunately, I didn't take a screenshot of the display showing the new 300 mi range at full charge.

Since then, Tesla released a software update that increased the displayed EPA range estimates for the Performance and Long Range Model Y to 291 and 316 miles, respectively. Although I don’t have a full charge, I just took two screenshots showing the remaining charge (48%) and miles (153 mi) on this charge. I assumed I could just divide 153 mi by 48% to get the range that the computer would display on a full charge which is 318 mi, fairly close to the EPA range estimate for the Model Y with 20” wheels. Maybe this method for deriving the max calculated range at full charge isn’t correct? If it is, this would imply the wheel configuration change from 21” to 20” done by the service center did change the max displayed range on my Model Y.
MY Charge.jpeg MY Range.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes, if the wheel size is changed in the onboard computer, it will affect the max range that the car will display when it’s fully charged. However, the displayed max range does not necessarily reflect the true max range of the car. I have a Performance Model Y with 21” Uberturbine wheels. I swapped out the 21” stock wheels with 20” TSportline TSS wheels and had the Tesla service center update the computer to reflect the new 20” wheels. My max range increased to the range corresponding to the stock Model Y 20” Induction wheels even though my 20” TSS wheels may not provide that range (not as aerodynamic). I believe with the Model 3 (unlike the Model Y), the user can change the wheel size in the computer.
Interesting. My Long Range Model Y is on order and I'm struggling between the 20" and 19" wheels. I like the look of the 20s, but range is most important to me. What was your difference in range estimate between the 21s and 20s? The website shows no difference in range between 19s and 20s on the non-performance model, but I find that hard to believe.

Interesting. My Long Range Model Y is on order and I'm struggling between the 20" and 19" wheels. I like the look of the 20s, but range is most important to me. What was your difference in range estimate between the 21s and 20s? The website shows no difference in range between 19s and 20s on the non-performance model, but I find that hard to believe.
Unfortunately, I didn't have the 21" wheels on long enough to do a range comparison against the 20" wheels. Also, my 20" TSportline TSS wheels may not be a good comparison with the stock 20" Induction wheels. I think mine are less aerodynamic.

So what would be the factors between the 18", 19" and 20" wheels that would affect range? I understand the weight could affect the range but that will likely be inconsistent. All wheels have varying weights regardless of diameter (cast, flow forged, forged, etc.) and so do tires, depending on what width and brand are being used. But how would Tesla's software know any of that information. I would think that outside tire diameter would have more of an effect on the range but there is no input for that information. Doesn't Tesla's 18", 19" and 20" tire packages have the same outside diameter?

So what would be the factors between the 18", 19" and 20" wheels that would affect range? I understand the weight could affect the range but that will likely be inconsistent. All wheels have varying weights regardless of diameter (cast, flow forged, forged, etc.) and so do tires, depending on what width and brand are being used. But how would Tesla's software know any of that information. I would think that outside tire diameter would have more of an effect on the range but there is no input for that information. Doesn't Tesla's 18", 19" and 20" tire packages have the same outside diameter?

You're right, there are several factors besides just wheel/tire diameter that affect max range. But Tesla's software assumes the stock 19", 20" or 21" wheel/tire packages when estimating max range. The computer will not necessarily reflect the correct max range for third-party wheel/tire packages you may install on the car because of differences in the other (non-diameter related) factors from the stock wheels/tires.