Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does trip energy use prediction account for outside temp?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the trip estimated mileage or percent charge remaining at destination account for outside temperature?

For example, if I am at point A and navigating to point B would my mileage or charge estimated to be remaining at B be the same on a hot summer day as on a cold winter night?

Not at first, but it will adjust based on consumption as you go.
OK, that answers my intended question, which was whether the algorithm explicitly uses outside temperature.

The three-Supercharger trip I'm making in a couple of days is one I've made several times, but always in the summer. So I will charge to a greater end-of-leg margin than I did previously, in order to adjust for the cold weather.

OK, that answers my intended question, which was whether the algorithm explicitly uses outside temperature.

The three-Supercharger trip I'm making in a couple of days is one I've made several times, but always in the summer. So I will charge to a greater end-of-leg margin than I did previously, in order to adjust for the cold weather.

Better to use EV Trip Planner EV Trip Planner or A Better Route Planner A Better Routeplanner since they have inputs for ambient air temperatures, tire / wheel size, payload, etc. Great for LONG trip legs in Supercharger "black holes" like the 200 actual road mile segment we did in our 2015 MS P85D in Monument Valley between the Page AZ and Blanding UT Superchargers.

Reactions: Ciaopec
Better to use EV Trip Planner EV Trip Planner or A Better Route Planner A Better Routeplanner since they have inputs for ambient air temperatures, tire / wheel size, payload, etc. Great for LONG trip legs in Supercharger "black holes" like the 200 actual road mile segment we did in our 2015 MS P85D in Monument Valley between the Page AZ and Blanding UT Superchargers.
Ya, I do use EV Trip Planner, with occasional excursions to EVtripping.com and ABRP. They seem to have quite a lot of variation in their predictions. Just a while ago I used EVTP, putting in different temps for each of the three legs per the NWS forecast.

Ya, I do use EV Trip Planner, with occasional excursions to EVtripping.com and ABRP. They seem to have quite a lot of variation in their predictions. Just a while ago I used EVTP, putting in different temps for each of the three legs per the NWS forecast.

Trip planning is essential... but weather can make a Supercharger segment stressful if the weather gets nasty... especially headwinds. We almost didn't make it between Superchargers 4 years ago between Barstow and Primm when we hit a nasty 50 mph headwind / dust storm / brown rainstorm. Only made it by drafting a Sprinter van using Autopilot set on 1, lowering our suspension to Low, and using Range Mode. Probably not a problem today with all the new Superchargers but helps prevent "range anxiety". I check Tesla Winds and Elevation while driving now since it is hard to detect strong head / crosswinds when on Autopilot.

They seem to have quite a lot of variation in their predictions.
For example, for tomorrow's trip from Las Vegas to Reno:

No wind, 40F, 1.14 speed, 100% start, buffer 10%:

Supercharger (city airport code) starting SoC, ending SoC, time to charge--

evtripplanner
BTY 37% to 60% 16 min.
TPH 10% to 53% 25 min.
HTH 10% to 66% 35 min.

A Better Route Planner (incl. 5 min. charging time overhead)
BTY 18% to 77% 44 min.
TPH 10% to 70% 39 min.
HTH 10% to 84% 56 min.

I'll be interested to see what my SoC is when I get to BTY!

No wind, 40F, 1.14 speed, 100% start, buffer 10%:

Supercharger (city airport code) starting SoC, ending SoC, time to charge--

evtripplanner
BTY 37% to 60% 16 min.
TPH 10% to 53% 25 min.
HTH 10% to 66% 35 min.
I am betting on this one. Seems pretty spot on from doing an independent calculation using another method that uses weather at every stop.

* 8:00 am Las Vegas, Las Vegas, NV, USA - Depart with the car charged to 100%.
* 9:49 am Beatty, NV Supercharger, 900 Hwy 95 N, Beatty, NV - Charge for 0:15 from 37% to 64%. Estimated departure at 10:09 am.
* 11:39 am Tonopah Supercharger, 171 Main St., Tonopah, NV - Charge for 0:20 from 10% to 52%. Estimated departure at 12:04 pm.
* 1:42 pm Hawthorne Supercharger, 705 Hwy 362 Hawthorne, Hawthorne, NV - Charge for 0:30 from 10% to 66%. Estimated departure at 2:16 pm.
* 4:33 pm Reno, Reno, NV, USA - SoC at arrival will be 15%.

SoC usage Jan. 4.png

BTW: How fast did you drive? I used 65 mph as your average speed on the first 3 legs and 54 mph on the leg into Reno. If you drove with an average of 78 mph and 70 for the last leg I would have estimated this:

70%, 59%, 49%, 57%

Speed makes a huge difference with these cars and even more so when there is wind or precip involved. These are really slick cars but the negative impact of effects to the airstream or frontal forces really shows up quick. This is why you can have such an impact on your consumption when you slow down (or speed up).