Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Trunk Cargo Mat make vehicle any quieter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cab

Sep 5, 2013
Grapevine, TX
Hello All,

As the title asks, I'm wondering if any of you have the Weathertech or Tesla equivalent cargo liner (and perhaps cargo well liner too) and if so, did you notice if it reduced any noise levels from the rear of the car (particularly road noise)? I believe the parcel shelf helps somewhat as well of course.

Just looking for alternatives beyond quieter tires (the best answer IMO) and some of the sound deadener paths (I've done the dampener and mass loaded vinyl over foam on one other car in a past life).

Cargo liner:
2013 Tesla Model S | Cargo Mat and Trunk Liner for Cars SUVs and Minivans | WeatherTech.com

Thanks,

I haven't done a scientific test, but I don't feel like there is any noise difference with or without the Tesla version of the WeatherTech cargo liner. I agree that tires are probably the easiest and make the most difference. I just went from Pirelli P-Zeros to Michelin Pilot Super Sports and the Michelins are quieter.

Thanks guys. One option might me to put a layer of mass loaded vinyl over foam under the cargo mat itself I suppose (just an easier install vs. putting it under the carpet.

Example:
LuxuryLinerPro_001__38155.1352417539.1280.1280.jpg

It is fairly heavy if I remember correctly (i.e. about a pound per square foot). I suspect though, without lining the interior coming from the wheel wells that the returns would be very small. Indeed, that's probably why the parcel shelf makes a difference - it attempts to seal off more of that entire back area.

do you know Vinyl looped mat?The 3M Company designed the first spaghetti mat called Nomad. but
most people used it at outdoor entrances, plant doorways, water drinking fountains, and pool areas. also it could b used
at car frunk and rear trunk without any noise.

looped mat 2.png

looped mat.png

• Informative
Reactions: David29