TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Does Tunein Premium Work In our Cars?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Andyw2100, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Well-Known Member

A few days ago Tunein launched a new premium service that for $7.99 per month allows, among other things, unlimited access to 40,000 audio books. I'm wondering if anyone has tried this service yet (there is a free trial offer), and if so, if it works in the Model S?

Thanks.

2. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Funny, I'm wondering the same. I got as far as adding my credentials to the car and leaving the trial upgrade tab opened at the office, but I haven't pulled the trigger. I'd love audiobooks in the native interface.

• Helpful x 1
  3. Andyw2100

#3 Andyw2100, Aug 28, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
    There was this post that lead me to believe it may not work:

Deutsche Welle on Tunein Radio?

I also checked the Tunein Premium FAQ, and found this:

--
    WHY ISN'T TUNEIN PREMIUM AVAILABLE ON MY DEVICE?

The TuneIn Premium subscription service is currently only available on a our website, tunein.com, and on Android and iOS devices. We plan to extend this to more devices in the future. We apologize for this inconvenience.
    --

But that's at least somewhat ambiguous.

I wrote to Tunein support, but haven't received a response yet.

I don't want to waste the free month if it doesn't work yet, (as I would definitely not use it any other way). if in a month or two it may actually work in the car. I'm not asking anyone else to waste a month either. I just thought there may be someone who signed up, because they can use it in a number of different ways, and the car would be just one more, if it worked.

4. Andyw2100

I received the following answer, which says essentially the same thing as the FAQ. I guess the answer sounds like "no." I'm just not familiar enough with how our cars are implementing Tunein to know if they are truly viewed as another "device" as opposed to somehow just accessing the Tunein website somehow.

--
    Hello

Thank you for contacting us regarding this issue. Currently Premium is only supported by iOS, Android and the Web. We plan to have more devices soon.

Sincerely,

Derek
    TuneIn
    --

5. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

yeah sounds like a no

6. redi

redi 2013 P85+ with HumanPilot Technology

#6 redi, Aug 29, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
    I like audiobooks and Tunein premium is a pretty good deal, but the Tesla implementation does not see the favorites in Tunein where you bookmark the audiobook.

Even Tunein's web and iOS implementation to support the books is rather basic, IMO. Maybe someday this will be fixed, but since both Slacker and Tunein are pretty close to where they were 2-3 years ago, someday is probably a few years off.

7. robatbeach

robatbeach Member

Did anyone send a request to Tesla as well? Seems like both sides may need to co-operate if Premium access is to happen in the car.

8. msnow

msnow Active Member

I see my TuneIn favorite stations (never tried audiobooks). In the iOS app I click "follow" and it shows up as a favorite in the Tesla Media Player.

9. Andyw2100

Does the above refer to Tune-In Premium? If so, would you mind checking if audio books work?

Thanks!

10. msnow

msnow Active Member

Sorry no. It's the free version but I created an account that I use both for iOS and Tesla.

11. robatbeach

robatbeach Member

I have tried and do not see the premium content in the Tesla under favorites....other favorites are there.

12. msnow

msnow Active Member

#12 msnow, Nov 27, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
    Sorry if I wasn't clear. I meant in order to see TuneIn favorites in your car you have to a) create an account (free or paid) in TuneIn and click "follow" in your mobile app on a station b) log on to TuneIn in your car with the same ID/password. I didn't mean you can see a Premium content. I don't know if you can but I would guess you will if you subscribe.

13. robatbeach

robatbeach Member

Sorry if I wasn't clear.
    1. I have TuneIn premium.
    2. I have logged into my account from the car.
    3. I have followed audiobooks and other premium content from my phone app and from a web browser.
    4. From my phones app and browser I see all followed content - both premium and not premium
    5. From the Tesla, you only see nonpremium content under favorites.

14. msnow

msnow Active Member

Ah, ok I see now, thanks. Glad I didn't sign up for it then. I had thought about buying it for MLB and NFL.

15. Andyw2100

Thanks for clearing that up.

Tunein claims that they are adding support for additional platforms, so it would certainly be appreciated if you would update this thread if you ever find the premium channels working in the car.

Thanks!

16. jeagle

jeagle New Member

New Model S owner with TuneIn Premium account, which doesn't seem to be working. The TuneIn Premium login doesn't work in the car. Bummer. It works through my phone, but I'm not anxious to use up mobile data listening to (for example) audiobooks on long trips.

17. jeagle

jeagle New Member

Message to TuneIn Support:
    Is there any hope in the near future of allowing Tesla users with Premium TuneIn accounts to listen to Premium content through the Tesla? I understand that it's not allowed now, but I don't understand why. James

Hello James:
    Thank you for the suggestion and we apologize for the inconvenience. I will pass your feedback on to our developers - but we already working on adding Premium to other platforms, including the Tesla, but for now there area various technical hurdles that would compromise the overall experience, especially for a paid service that must be equal across all platforms. Thanks for your continued support!

Sincerely,

Matt
    TuneIn
    --
    Have questions? Please visit:
    TuneIn | Portal