Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does turning on the climate control before leaving home precondition the battery as well?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I could swear one of the recent updates suddenly includes much more aggressive pack heating on our LR AWD.

We keep it in the garage, but that's not enough to stop regen limiting. We almost always preheat before we go anywhere, but that was never enough to make a noticeable difference in regen. It would take a good hour or more of driving to get the pack warm enough to get full regen.

Recently, two things were very noticeable that did not happen before:
  1. The noise/whir from Supercharging/L3 charging is now present when preheating the car. This seems to imply the heating of the battery based on other threads.
  2. We now usually have most if not all regen power available prior to departure, implying the pack was warmed.
It does this even if not plugged in and somewhere else (e.g. parked downtown). I have mixed feelings about this because the amount of power being used to heat the battery for short in-town trips is quite a lot, and I don't benefit from most of that wasted power.

Interesting observation. If true, I agree it could be expensive with lots of short cold trips. The user should have the option. On the Model X it does heat the battery if you have Range Mode off but does not heat if it’s on while driving or while preheating cabin. Although this might have changed slightly when preheating cabin it may ignore the range mode setting according to other posts.