Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does upgrading Michelin Pilot Sport 4S from stock Michelin MXM4 make sense for GTA driver

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello.

Currently my standard range plus model 3 is running on winter tires for winter season.

But I am wondering if I should sell the 18 inch stock Michelin MXM4 and upgrade to more performance oriented tires like Michelin Pilot Sport 4S once winter is over.

I live in GTA. Does upgrading Michelin Pilot Sport 4S from stock Michelin MXM4 make sense for GTA rwd model 3 driver for non-winter season? Or better stick with the stock tires ?

I have the PS4S and they are excellent summer tires. I occasionally do use the tires to their potential... however most of the time I am just driving a to b. If you think you might actually use the tires regularly it is worth it, but like most performance tire purchases most people end up with expensive tires that wear out faster that they actually aren't using the tires potential. Plus they are NOT reasonable winter tires and are prone to cracking below a certain temp.

Honestly I will probably not get new PS4S when my tires wear out, I'l just get some sporty all season tires. They just came with car since I have a P3D.

• Helpful
Reactions: Char
A car equipped with high performance tires like the PS4S will stop in less distance in extreme braking events. Although a meter or two is probably not going to make a difference, sometimes it really can.

Reactions: m3snowy
A car equipped with high performance tires like the PS4S will stop in less distance in extreme braking events. Although a meter or two is probably not going to make a difference, sometimes it really can.

+1 -- exactly what I think.

There're other options between MXM4 and PS4S, but the MXM4 is probably one of the quietest out there.

Does upgrading Michelin Pilot Sport 4S from stock Michelin MXM4 make sense for GTA rwd model 3 driver for non-winter season? Or better stick with the stock tires ?

PS4S are terrific max performance summer tires. They will wear significantly faster than your MXM4's by providing outstanding grip in warm weather driving conditions. A really good choice if you're planning any track days or advanced driving schools.

The trade off will come in the shoulder seasons. As the temperatures drop so will the tires performance. To the point that in early spring and late fall a performance all season would perform better.

You may want to look at an Ultra High Performance all-season tire. It will give you more consistent 3 season performance:

Pilot® Sport A/S 3+

Tire Rack test:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...odel=Pilot+Sport+A/S+3++(W-+or+Y-Speed+Rated)

Reactions: Muskol