Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does using the accelerator to hill-hold harm the motor?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very interesting stuff. I'm a computer engineer so have some experience with power systems and signal / wave generation, but I'm certainly not up on the guts of induction motor drivers. But we have used lots of them at work and they are pretty fantastic. With just a regular three phase motor and a driver you can change direction, speed, control torque, brake, and do it all very cost effectively. You used to have to use stepper motors or servos to do a lot of that, and in some cases you still need those, but these solid state high power induction drivers / controllers are really cool. It's crazy to think that as your car effortlessly accelerates away from a stop sign that a magnetic field is whirling around at who knows what frequency inside the motor and creating a little, silent hurricane of current and electromagnetic fields that somehow make the wheels turn. In an ICE engine there's fire and explosions; that's easier to understand. But this is basically one step away from magic to 99.9% of people.

Very interesting stuff. I'm a computer engineer so have some experience with power systems and signal / wave generation, but I'm certainly not up on the guts of induction motor drivers. But we have used lots of them at work and they are pretty fantastic. With just a regular three phase motor and a driver you can change direction, speed, control torque, brake, and do it all very cost effectively. You used to have to use stepper motors or servos to do a lot of that, and in some cases you still need those, but these solid state high power induction drivers / controllers are really cool. It's crazy to think that as your car effortlessly accelerates away from a stop sign that a magnetic field is whirling around at who knows what frequency inside the motor and creating a little, silent hurricane of current and electromagnetic fields that somehow make the wheels turn. In an ICE engine there's fire and explosions; that's easier to understand. But this is basically one step away from magic to 99.9% of people.

Yup. We're closing in on the Clarke quote in several areas. Cars that move for no apparent reason, pans that get hot when put on a random smooth surface when the surface is cool with no fire.

Any sufficiently advanced technology... :)

... In an ICE engine there's fire and explosions; that's easier to understand. But this is basically one step away from magic to 99.9% of people.

It's true that "... compression, BOOM, expansion..." is an easy concept to grasp, but all the stuff that has to happen around the edges for that to work properly is just as mysterious to me as these coils of wires, spinning magnetic fields, and induction making the wheels turn

So, did the cognoscenti give us an answer to the OP's question?

I think so. I think they said he can go ahead and use the go-pedal to keep the car stationary on a hill. It would damage some other kinds of motors, but not the one in a Tesla. I'm pretty sure that's what they said.