Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Virtual Power Plant option require Gateway 2 ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bkp_duke

May 15, 2016
San Diego, CA
For a few months, my neighbors have had the option in their Tesla App to add themselves to a VPP group (not sure if it is live, none of them have tested it yet), similar to what is reported here:

I don't have this option, even though I'm on the same utility as them. The only differences I know of between their setup and mine are:

1) Gateway 2.0 (I'm on GW 1)
2) Powerwall 2.1 (I'm on 2.0)

Would appreciate anyone that is able to see the VPP option in their phones to contribute with their setup specs.

Thanks!

For a few months, my neighbors have had the option in their Tesla App to add themselves to a VPP group (not sure if it is live, none of them have tested it yet), similar to what is reported here:

I don't have this option, even though I'm on the same utility as them. The only differences I know of between their setup and mine are:

1) Gateway 2.0 (I'm on GW 1)
2) Powerwall 2.1 (I'm on 2.0)

Would appreciate anyone that is able to see the VPP option in their phones to contribute with their setup specs.

Thanks!

I used to have the option in my app to opt into this (gateway 1) but I was never interested in it so ignored it. I dont see it there now. I am fairly certain that @bmah (gateway 1) also had it, and also might have participated in it.

I am not sure when it went away in my app as I never cared about it. I do have options to charge from the grid now in my app that I didnt have before (we have a long thread on that here). I dont use that either, but may use it in the winter.

Reactions: bkp_duke
I used to have the option in my app to opt into this (gateway 1) but I was never interested in it so ignored it. I dont see it there now. I am fairly certain that @bmah (gateway 1) also had it, and also might have participated in it.

I am not sure when it went away in my app as I never cared about it. I do have options to charge from the grid now in my app that I didnt have before (we have a long thread on that here). I dont use that either, but may use it in the winter.

Yep, I have GW1 and PW2s. I participated in the VPP trial and even got a check from Tesla for it.

I got the notification for the "real" VPP program (yesterday, iOS mobile app). I opted in out of curiosity, same as for the VPP trial. Assuming that it works as documented, it's basically zero risk because you have the option to suspend your participation at any time.

Bruce.

Yep, I have GW1 and PW2s. I participated in the VPP trial and even got a check from Tesla for it.

I got the notification for the "real" VPP program (yesterday, iOS mobile app). I opted in out of curiosity, same as for the VPP trial. Assuming that it works as documented, it's basically zero risk because you have the option to suspend your participation at any time.

Bruce.

So Tesla pays you, it's not a bill credit on PG&E?

Was the per kwh reimbursement rate variable, or the previously mentioned $2/kwh ?

Hmmm...I think for the VPP trial it was a fixed amount but it might not have been $2/kWh. Sorry, my memory on that is a bit hazy for various stupid reasons, but the rate is probably discussed in the "original" VPP thread.

The check stub just shows a dollar amount, but not how it was derived (they didn't "show their work").

Bruce.

I got the option to sign up yesterday. GW1 & 2xPW2 installed in 2018.

Since they pay you directly, it seems that it might be possible that the amount is $2/kWh on top of your normal NEM credits. How they calculate the kWh quantity they are paying you on is another story though. I will be sure to check the details of every discharge event if I end up participating.