TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Does weight have an affect on range?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by Tocunvt, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Tocunvt

Tocunvt Member

Page 55 of the M3 owner’s manual lists “Driving Tips to Maximize Range” and goes on to state “Lighten your load by removing any unnecessary cargo.”

Has anyone had any real world experience with this? A quick google search denies this principle but I feel like the owner’s manual wouldn’t lie.

I’m about to go on a 250 mi road trip with (a very crammed) 5 full-sized dudes who all weight around 200lbs. Curious how this will impact my range.

2. tinm

tinm 2013 S85 Owner

Sure weight impacts range. I once jammed every square inch of my S with heavy book boxes and furniture, car filled to the absolute brim, and drove 900 miles during a move, and saw definite hit on range.

Have to assume the Model 3 is no different. Takes more energy to move more mass.

• Like x 1
  3. AviP

AviP Member

Pick up a 20 lb dumbbell and walk a mile. Then throw it away and walk back. Which mile was easier? :eek:

4. rdlink

rdlink Member

Of course it does. Then again, it does in ICE cars, also.

5. Tocunvt

Tocunvt Member

Did you notice the actual degradation, like difference of kwh/mile? Or just a basic guesstimate of perecentage difference in range?

6. rdlink

rdlink Member

It affects it appreciably. Go to abetterrouteplanner.com, and create some trip calculations. One of the many variable settings it allows you to put into the calculation is "extra weight," which means things like luggage and passenger weights. Try plugging in the passengers you plan on taking, and with just one person, and it will give you a decent approximation of the impact.

• Informative x 1
  7. wwu123

wwu123 Member

Forget range - look at your four friends and see which one you can jettison...the two remaining dudes in the back seat won't want to kill you when you get to your destination ;)

• Funny x 5
  8. SVMike

SVMike Member

Unfair comparison. Put 20lbs in a wagon and pull it. Now compare to 40 lbs