Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does/will the Model 3 have a heated steering wheel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know the sentence is a bit confusing, but I believe you parse "Premium heated seating and cabin materials throughout" as Premium cabin materials throughout, not heated cabin materials throughout (since that doesn't make any sense). In other words "Premium <heated seating> and <cabin materials> throughout."
There are four ways to parse it:
“Premium heated seating throughout and premium cabin materials throughout” - no heated steering wheel but heated rear seats.

“Premium heated seating and premium cabin materials throughout” - heated front seats only (this matches what we are currently seeing on the employee deliveries).

“Premium heated seating throughout and premium heated cabin materials throughout” - would imply heated rears and a heated steering wheel.

“Premium heating seating and premium heated cabin materials throughout” - heated fronts only plus a heated steering wheel.

With an obviously unfinished UI in the current employee cars there’s no way to tell for sure if its missing in hardware or software. Realistically I think that it’s going to be one of the first two.

There are four ways to parse it:
“Premium heated seating throughout and premium cabin materials throughout” - no heated steering wheel but heated rear seats.

“Premium heated seating and premium cabin materials throughout” - heated front seats only (this matches what we are currently seeing on the employee deliveries).

“Premium heated seating throughout and premium heated cabin materials throughout” - would imply heated rears and a heated steering wheel.

“Premium heating seating and premium heated cabin materials throughout” - heated fronts only plus a heated steering wheel.

With an obviously unfinished UI in the current employee cars there’s no way to tell for sure if its missing in hardware or software. Realistically I think that it’s going to be one of the first two.

However you parse it there isn't any mention of a heated steering wheel. I think anybody who figures they are saying "heated cabin materials" to mean a heated steering wheel is engaging in wishful thinking. I agree that it isn't clear about the heated seats. The exact same part of the Model S specifications says:

• Heated seats throughout the cabin
  • Heated steering wheel

However you parse it there isn't any mention of a heated steering wheel. I think anybody who figures they are saying "heated cabin materials" to mean a heated steering wheel is engaging in wishful thinking. I agree that it isn't clear about the heated seats. The exact same part of the Model S specifications says:

• Heated seats throughout the cabin
  • Heated steering wheel
I agree, I think if a heated steering wheel were included it would deserve its own mention. I go back and forth between heated rear seats.

It might be mis-information, but my son just picked up his Model 3. He was told that the car does in fact have a heated steering wheel but it isn't enabled yet. This always seemed like a big omission to me - I use the heated steering wheel often in my X - so I have been holding out hope. Only time will tell.

It might be mis-information, but my son just picked up his Model 3. He was told that the car does in fact have a heated steering wheel but it isn't enabled yet. This always seemed like a big omission to me - I use the heated steering wheel often in my X - so I have been holding out hope. Only time will tell.
Thanks for sharing. Unfortunately, my money is on misunderstanding and they were thinking about heated rear seats. Hope I'm wrong, though.

Also no heated rear seats even though the description of PUP indicated heated materials "throughout" in the web description
You You Xue was told that the rear seats of the Model 3 are heated and will be enabled later with a software update • r/teslamotors

I was almost positive that I saw some tweet from Musk about this, but can't find right now.
Rear seats will be heated.

I also see here The Great Rear Heated Seat Debate
Email communication from Sales Advisor:
Not enabled (Will be enabled soon via over the air updates)

• WIFI
• CALENDAR
• AUTOMATIC EMERGENCY BRAKING
• AUTOMATIC HIGH BEAM HEADLIGHTS
• AUTOMATIC WINDSHIELD WIPERS
• SUMMON
• ON-SCREEN OWNERS MANUAL
• SOFTWARE UPDATE RELEASE NOTES
• REAR HEATED SEAT CONTROLS
• CHAdeMO COMPATIBILITY

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Last edited:
I picked up my Model 3 Wednesday and the delivery guy told my wife no heated rear seats when she asked how to turn them on. I told him to check again. He disappeared for a few minutes then came back and said no heated rear seats. I pointed to the "throughout" wording and he and his manager disappeared for like 10 minutes. Then he came back and said the rear seats are heated, it's just not enabled in software yet.

As for the steering wheel, I thought there was a Musk tweet saying the 3 wouldn't have a heated steering wheel. Hoping it actually does, but I'm definitely not counting on it.

Reactions: insaneoctane
Take this from somebody who lives on the Left Coast... I've done without a heated steering wheel for all my 45+ years of driving; most of it with my car parked outside (i.e., not garaged). Yeah I suppose it's nice to have when going up to Tahoe for the weekend but I'm not doing that that often anymore. For the several times a decade where San Jose gets to freezing or below, again, it's nice when that happens but it's not a deal-killer for me. Now, for people in MN or ME, I can see where it's a necessity and should be part of a cold-weather package.

As to the heated seats, it was offered as a separate option with my 2000 BMW 3-series but I thought it was not worth it. Leather seats warm up pretty fast. The wife's Honda Odyssey and daughter's Nissan Murano has them and I do see some advantages but with a car powered by batteries, I think they will be mostly left unused. Unless I pre-heat the cabin while charging.

This is one of the problems with fair weather regions for car manufacturing. The thought that heated seats are "not needed" is crazy in this day and age. 45 degree nights would be considered warm half the year in much of the country. A heated steering wheel is "not necessary" but far better than a preheated cabin (I am an S owner, so I am aware how nice a preheated cabin is in Upstate NY). With heated seats and heated steering wheel you could drop the cabin temp 10 degrees, and it would save tons of range without discomfort, which is why it is ridiculous for it to be missing from an electric vehicle. I am optimistic that the two key missing items for me will show up around the time of the AWD I have deferred for becomes available (hitch for bike rack, and heated steering wheel).

As to the heated seats, it was offered as a separate option with my 2000 BMW 3-series but I thought it was not worth it. Leather seats warm up pretty fast. The wife's Honda Odyssey and daughter's Nissan Murano has them and I do see some advantages but with a car powered by batteries, I think they will be mostly left unused. Unless I pre-heat the cabin while charging.
Heated seats are necessary because the car is powered by batteries. It’s much more efficient to heat the person directly than it is to heat the entire car. The central heater uses ~10x more power than the seat heaters.

Reactions: croman
I have a heated steering wheel in my Leaf and its awesome.
Freezing cold car with heated wheel and drivers seat is just perfect, especially preheated.
I'd be sorry to lose that when I get my Model 3, but it will be more than offset by getting way more range, great handling etc

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
As someone who lives where it gets cold, I find it slightly offensive that the cold weather package is now relegated to the premium upgrade package as a luxury. This is pure California thinking.

When the temperature drops below -25C, my hands in my current non-heated steering wheel will go numb by the time I reach my destination. No matter how thick and clumsy my gloves are. The car will often not heat up enough to keep warm when it drops below -30. I have to resort to mittens, and that's awkward to drive with.

I know Musk lived in Canada for a year, and spent a summer on his cousin's farm here in SK. I would have thought he would have known better about the cold.

Reactions: croman
I lived in Fargo, ND for ten years. If it's so cold that you want a heated steering wheel, you should probably be wearing gloves anyway. Seriously, first world problems. Try going to work at 4:30 a.m. when it's -30F and your clutch is stuck wide open.

And no lectures. I'm about to get my car, with the PUP. Chill.

• Funny
Reactions: halfricanguy