Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does XPEL prevent this type of damage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got hit on the hood and windshield today by a pretty large rock (golf ball sized?) and it left quite the damage. A deep gouge down to the aluminum and another down to some darker finish. I know XPEL helps with road chips but would it have prevented this type of damage from a larger object? It's still too much $$$ to justify the entire car, but the hood might not be a bad idea.

Are these chips repairable? How much?
photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

Several months ago I had some road debris kicked up from a car going the other way and it made a similar looking series of injuries in the Suntek paint armour on the hood, but it didn't go through the paint. So, yes, it will certainly help, but it won't stop everything. From the short glimpse I had of the debris, it looked like a wing mirror that had fallen off some car. Xpel is reputed to be thicker than Suntek, so it has the possibility of providing even better protection. (The Xpel dealers' web sites in my area turned me off, so I went with a highly recommended installer. So far, 1.5 years, I've been pleased with the results.)

If the rock chip went down to the aluminum, then any wrap would have been pierced, but maybe not through to aluminum. So, you may have chipped the clear coat, but saved the basecoat and aluminum. Those chips can be touched up, but they're not going to be perfect. Since your car is white, you may be able to get 80%+ better. A good touch up guy or detailer should be able to help