Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does your 3 "click" at all?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys:

I have a 2019 P3D (bought demo end of March 2020). The car is lowered (Eibach Pro-Kits) and is on spacers (front: 5mm; rear: 20mm) with OEM 20" wheels.

I am getting a click, like an on-off switch when accelerating from hold as well as when regen braking kicks in at low speed. If I roll my window down, the sound seems like it originates from the driver's front wheel area and then I hear the same sound from the driver's rear wheel slightly later.

I've mentioned the click sounds like an on-off switch. It seems directly linked to when the accelerator is engaged or disengaged and only appears at low speeds. It is a single, "clean" sound and like you would expect to hear from an electrical solenoid or relay almost (or perhaps the motor(s) switching on and off?). I don't really recall if the sound was always there or not or if it is newer.

I will rotate the tires/wheels and retorque everything in the next week or so as it is time anyways (~4000 miles on the car). I haven't really done any troubleshooting. Car drives and handles great...as expected. If the noise is still there after I do a some easy checks and rotate, I'll probably request a service visit.

Anyone with a similar experience?

Guys:

I have a 2019 P3D (bought demo end of March 2020). The car is lowered (Eibach Pro-Kits) and is on spacers (front: 5mm; rear: 20mm) with OEM 20" wheels.

I am getting a click, like an on-off switch when accelerating from hold as well as when regen braking kicks in at low speed. If I roll my window down, the sound seems like it originates from the driver's front wheel area and then I hear the same sound from the driver's rear wheel slightly later.

I've mentioned the click sounds like an on-off switch. It seems directly linked to when the accelerator is engaged or disengaged and only appears at low speeds. It is a single, "clean" sound and like you would expect to hear from an electrical solenoid or relay almost (or perhaps the motor(s) switching on and off?). I don't really recall if the sound was always there or not or if it is newer.

I will rotate the tires/wheels and retorque everything in the next week or so as it is time anyways (~4000 miles on the car). I haven't really done any troubleshooting. Car drives and handles great...as expected. If the noise is still there after I do a some easy checks and rotate, I'll probably request a service visit.

Anyone with a similar experience?
Quite a few and as above the SC should fix it but I'd be interested to hear if they comment on the modifications you've made and try and suggest it's something to do with them.

Reactions: cdswm3 and TypeRx
Sounds like the Model 3 "axle click". Had it on mine, and had the service center take care of it.

Thanks -- i've googled that issue after your post and it seems like exactly what I am experiencing.

Quite a few and as above the SC should fix it but I'd be interested to hear if they comment on the modifications you've made and try and suggest it's something to do with them.

Good point. I'll probably take the spacers off when I rotate the tires/wheels to see if it has any impact on things. Assuming it won't. So, if they give me trouble because of the lowering springs I'll need to deal with it. I don't think they will though if this is a known issue.

There is a thread somewhere here about the spring loading and unloading allowing it to rotate with aftermarket setup. I can't seem to find it though but might bet worth a look. I think mountain pass had suggestions on how to diag it. @MountainPass that sound familiar?

Reactions: TypeRx
Oh yes - join the clicking crowd. I have posted in the other threads regarding this. I had a LF axle shaft replaced in June but I'm still getting the axle click from a stop - forward and reverse. The way it occurs definitely sounds like a load applied/released situation. Tapping the accel pedal, releasing, tapping, releasing. Like you mentioned; on-off switch.

Been to SC three times for this and Ive given up for now. (First trip was lubing the axle but that didn't help) It seems like service doesn't care about a remedy for this and communication with them is difficult as we know. My only reason for delaying another attempt at repair is the distance to a SC near me. To be continued.....

There is a thread somewhere here about the spring loading and unloading allowing it to rotate with aftermarket setup. I can't seem to find it though but might bet worth a look. I think mountain pass had suggestions on how to diag it. @MountainPass that sound familiar?
That's not the issue. My clicking starting happening on a 100% stock vehicle with low miles. According to mobile tech the axle nuts found loose. (~4K miles)

I suspect this is extremely common, and how the vehicle is designed to operate. My car does this, and has since new. My brothers car and a Leaf I had prior did as well. It's extremely likely just caused by the backlash in the axle splines, and nothing of considerable concern.

I've had a rapid clicking/ticking when going into regen at low speeds, something like let off the accel pedal and click click click in rapid succession corresponding to the rotation of the tire/axle from 15 ish mph and under. The only time I could hear it is if I had no music on, windows down and I was next to something to reflect the sound back at me.

I torqued my axle nuts with a torque wrench to 180ish ft lbs, which I don't think got rid of it at the time but I haven't heard it in a few thousand miles although i haven't been listening for it either.

Just came back from SC for clicking. Here's the invoice notes:

Concern: Rear driver side wheel clicks when moving from stop.
Technician replaced axle nuts, and cleaned and lubricated axle hubs. Performed torque inspection and rear suspension
components as required. Performed validation test drive and verified operations are working as designed, noise is no
longer present.
Correction: General Diagnosis
Correction: Wheels - Axle Set (Remove & Install)
Correction: Perform Validation Test Drive

My car has Eibach springs and UP sways. I know these items are unrelated to clicking and happy they didn't use this as an excuse to void warranty.

• Helpful
Just came back from SC for clicking. Here's the invoice notes:

Concern: Rear driver side wheel clicks when moving from stop.
Technician replaced axle nuts, and cleaned and lubricated axle hubs. Performed torque inspection and rear suspension
components as required. Performed validation test drive and verified operations are working as designed, noise is no
longer present.
Correction: General Diagnosis
Correction: Wheels - Axle Set (Remove & Install)
Correction: Perform Validation Test Drive

My car has Eibach springs and UP sways. I know these items are unrelated to clicking and happy they didn't use this as an excuse to void warranty.

Good to know...will eventually take mine in to get this resolved. No rush on my end since it doesn't appear to be a significant safety risk.