Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does your Active Suspension Adjust Periodically?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering what those with active suspension hear and feel. My car seems to ‘adjust’ it’s suspension once or twice a day. It’s not raising or lowering the car, but I hear the little air ‘whoosh’ go for a second or two every so often.

Thanks.

Blowing some steam off...

Mine does it to.

If I am stopped when it happens sometimes I can feel / see the car height move a bit... it could be just one end of the car, or even just one wheel... can't tell.

My car also adjusts when stopped at intersections. Sometimes it causes me to feel a slight dizziness or disorientation.
If a slow raise in suspension causes you dizziness you should not be driving.

Or are you always a passenger? I can barely notice the suspension changes and never while moving. Just coming home or into a parking lot where I have it set to high and need to stop to enter, then I notice the movement.

Reactions: markn455
If a slow raise in suspension causes you dizziness you should not be driving.

Or are you always a passenger? I can barely notice the suspension changes and never while moving. Just coming home or into a parking lot where I have it set to high and need to stop to enter, then I notice the movement.
No, as a driver. I notice it because it feels like the world starts tilting slightly while it's adjusting. This causes a slight disorientation. Imagine if someone tilted your chair very slightly in one direction, but you weren't aware that someone was tilting your chair. The movement in your visual field, without anything to tell your brain why, causes a slight feeling of disorientation. I'm sure there's a technical explanation for how and why that's way above my pay grade. It's not a big deal, I just notice it sometimes and it feels funny. It lasts a very brief moment.

Blowing some steam off...

Mine does it to.

If I am stopped when it happens sometimes I can feel / see the car height move a bit... it could be just one end of the car, or even just one wheel... can't tell.
FWIW, my wife’s GL350 does this too. I think it’s a feature of most vehicles with air/self-leveling suspension.
And yes, I’ve noticed it happen on my S as well after coming to a stop. Even noticed it (heard the usual brief air pumping) after going slowly over some speed bumps in a parking lot