Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does your AP1 read speed signs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I keep hearing about AP1 cars reading speed signs. But my facelift AP1 MS car has not done so for a long time. It clearly uses goofed up gps and no longer changes right at the sign and is often way wrong.

At least it gets speeds in places where there are no signs.

I can’t imagine there is anything special about my car. It is up to date on firmware.

Any one else?

Last I paid attention, which IIRC was about a month and half ago, it still worked on my AP1 car. My wife told me at that time that her AP2 shows an incorrect speed limit on a highway which had it reduced a few months ago (which was what prompted me to check that AP1 showed the correct speed limit after reading the signs).AP1 showed the correct speed, AP2 the old one. So, parity my ***.

We have an AP1 Model S and my AP2 Model 3 and drive both on the same commute which includes a 20 mile long section on a private road (so, not in the map databases). AP1 reads the signs correctly as 65mph, but doesn't know what the limit is until it hits the first sign. AP2 thinks the limit is 45mph all the way through.

I am tracking this one very closely, as fixing this issue will allow me to use AP on half of my commute on a perfect AP road. It was one of my unexpected surprises when getting the AP2 car.

I would say 95% of the time it does it correctly. I have been in a 100 km/h zone and the dash stated it was 30km/h, yet my cruise was set to 110 and happy to keep me at that speed.

I am amazed at how it won't change the speed when it sees this:
images-1.png

but it changes when it sees this:

Unknown.jpeg

So AP1 is able to distinguish the arrow? or does it wait until 2 signs have passed?

Technically using AP1 you could get a ticket, because at the second sign you should be doing 50 but this is when AP1 starts to slow down, so you may be going 70 a hundred feet after the sign if you were travelling at 100 for example before the speed change.

It's really hard for us to make definitive statements about this, because it's not like the car says, "Hey I saw a speed limit sign!" All I can say is that my S85D's behavior is consistent with being able to read signs with a high degree of accuracy. I notice the speed limit on the IC change just as I pass the speed limit sign...whenever I pay attention to the IC, it seems to be doing this correctly.

I remember the behavior on the 6.2 firmware being somewhat different (this was with AP1 hardware, but before we had autosteer functionality). Remember the huge speedo on the original IC? There used to be an indication when the car read a speed limit sign, but before you reached the sign for it to take effect...it was one of several tick marks around on the speedo. It was easier to see what was going on with the speed limit detection then. I was a little disappointed that with the 7.0 IC, you didn't get that preview anymore.

Bruce.

• Funny
Reactions: Mark_T
Mine seems to do a little of both (April 2016). There are times where I pass a sign and it immediately changes. There are times where I pass a school zone sign and it drops it to 25 (annoying when school is not in session). There are times I pass a school sign and it does nothing. There are times when I pass the same school sign and it goes to 50 (actual speed limit is 45, but it **used** to be 50 -- makes me think old database. ????? And there are times when it just randomly picks the wrong speed limit with no sign in site. Happened a ton on our road trip through Wyoming -- Would pass 80 MPH speed limit, which it would read, then about 2 miles later it would drop it to 70. So it seems to read signs, misread signs, and also just has a mind of its own.

It's really hard for us to make definitive statements about this, because it's not like the car says, "Hey I saw a speed limit sign!"
If you really want to know and are willing to put in the time to find out, drive by a speed sign, watch the speed limit change as you drive right by it. Then park, cover the AP camera (cover it with some painter's tape, something you can easily peel off after), drive by the same speed sign. Compare results with a few signs.

Reactions: JohnnyG and f-stop
I know it's not ideal, but why don't you engage AP and then bump the stalk upwards 4 times increasing the speed to 65? Large bump +5mph, little bump +1mph.

Sadly, that doesn’t work. AP2 is limited to 50mph on that road because it isn’t classified as a highway in the database. AP1 is cool since it knows the speed limit.

• Informative
Reactions: unbelievable
It definitely reads speed signs in AP1. I haven't done the last update, however. I know it reads the signs because some Highway 40 signs will set the speed to 40 MPH although the actual limit is much higher. It's a long, flat, straight, isolated section of road where the limit would never have been that low. As soon as I pass a route sign, the max speed drops. As soon as I pass a speed limit sign, the max speed changes again.
It also uses a speed database, but obviously the signs take precedence.
It would be interesting to know, given what OP is saying, if the latest firmware has removed sign recognition.

Last edited:
I was about 2 hours north of Toronto in cottage country this weekend with my AP1 refresh Model S and it was reading all signs perfectly. I was taking some pretty obscure roads and I was amazed at the accuracy. Boy would I ever hate if an update changed how it work (the way the recent updates increased the nag).