Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does your car fully charge to 310+ miles of range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 3D with around 1K miles now that usually charges fully to 300-306 miles of range.

Should it at least get to the 310 miles advertised when fully charged?

Is there a way to achieve the advertised range or something I just don't understand?

Thanks in advance for the education.

Picking up my 3d this week, but a year and half with S75D has shown me (hubs is main driver) that speed plays a big factor in usage and amount filled. There is a moderate amount of degradation in battery that has been expected and driving over the speed limits that Tesla has motors wound for will cause more loss of energy. This ultimately pulls down the ability to get a full load. Also too many SChg to full is not advised. Home charge best.

I didn't know driving style was a factor. I thought I read that was not the case.

I wonder how you would reset it or if over time it will adjust?

My car has been at service for a month and I kept getting alerts that they were hitting the 85mph speed limit I set in the car.

I didn't know driving style was a factor. I thought I read that was not the case.

I wonder how you would reset it or if over time it will adjust?

My car has been at service for a month and I kept getting alerts that they were hitting the 85mph speed limit I set in the car.

You are correct driving style does not play into the miles calculation on the main screen. It is calculated based on what the battery management system has calculated for battery capacity. You can usually fix it by deep cycling the battery from <10% to 100%. But you don't want to do this very often. For a few miles I would not worry about it.

My car got as low as an extrapolated 280 miles. Deep cycled and it came back to 305 with over 6000 miles. I shallow charge very often and although it will not hurt the battery it throws off the calculation for battery capacity.

My car has not gotten over 298 mi for 100% charge the last few times I have tried it (only once above 300 for first 100% charge). Only have tried it 3 times before long trips and always had more than 40% charge when starting. 2000 miles on the car so far. The last time I tried 100% charge it showed 298 miles and 45 min remaining on a destination charger; a few minutes later charging stopped at 298 mi.

I usually limit charging to 75% for urban daily driving. So I should discharge below 10% and charge to 100% to try to calibrate the BMS?

Reactions: leporsche
My car has not gotten over 298 mi for 100% charge the last few times I have tried it (only once above 300 for first 100% charge). Only have tried it 3 times before long trips and always had more than 40% charge when starting. 2000 miles on the car so far. The last time I tried 100% charge it showed 298 miles and 45 min remaining on a destination charger; a few minutes later charging stopped at 298 mi.

I usually limit charging to 75% for urban daily driving. So I should discharge below 10% and charge to 100% to try to calibrate the BMS?

Honestly would not worry about it. We have a good battery warranty and it is pretty clear this will if you occur shallow charge due to the BMS.

I was obsessing myself about the lower capacity and deep cycled it one time. Once it came back to 305 miles I told myself I would not worry about unless it became a real issue in my routine. The BMS is under calculating the real capacity. It think we all prefer it do this and not run out of charge some where. The capacity is there you just need to run the battery really low to get to it and to have the BMS realize the capacity is there.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
I've only done 2 100% (@ 330 miles and ~1400 miles) charges and both times hit 310 miles.

*edit*
I was doing a supercharge as I was typing this post and decided to do a 100% charge (2577 miles on odo).
Shows 302 miles right now and car is still charging at 7 kW/99%. I suspect it might hit 303 miles.
*edit2*
306 mi/1 kW rate/100%

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: DR61
My RWD LR is at 11,000 miles, just did my first full charge ever yesterday out of curiosity and to balance the pack.
Charged to 308 miles.
Less than 1% degradation after 11k miles, I'll take it! (I rarely go below 20% or above 80% state of charge.)

Edit: Good to keep in mind your driving style will usually have more impact on range than battery degradation.

From Tesla corporate:
We have found that in cases where the battery is consistently charged to a lower state of charge, between 60-80% capacity, estimation becomes less accurate and tends to underestimate the true capacity of the battery. The result is an incorrect reduction in the displayed range estimate. This does not affect the true range of the vehicle, as the end-of-drive conditions are based on real-time battery measurements of reducing battery power, rather than software estimates. In any case, we recognize the inconvenience and negative user experience associated with this incorrect and reduced range estimate, and we are developing more accurate estimation algorithms which will be pushed over the air to the car when available. In the meantime I would recommend scheduling a service appointment through your Tesla account online and our technicians can assist in a kind of re-calibration for the range estimates you are current seeing.
Best regards,
XXX, Executive Care

From Tesla corporate:
We have found that in cases where the battery is consistently charged to a lower state of charge, between 60-80% capacity, estimation becomes less accurate and tends to underestimate the true capacity of the battery. The result is an incorrect reduction in the displayed range estimate. This does not affect the true range of the vehicle, as the end-of-drive conditions are based on real-time battery measurements of reducing battery power, rather than software estimates. In any case, we recognize the inconvenience and negative user experience associated with this incorrect and reduced range estimate, and we are developing more accurate estimation algorithms which will be pushed over the air to the car when available. In the meantime I would recommend scheduling a service appointment through your Tesla account online and our technicians can assist in a kind of re-calibration for the range estimates you are current seeing.
Best regards,
XXX, Executive Care

Thanks for this post; very informative. I think this is what my situation is. Imputed range of 290 on a full charge. I've been charging to 90% the last few times, and the last time, the imputed range increased to 294 miles. Estimation algorithm makes sense to me. I hope that's the case.

Teslafi has suggested my car only gets 292 on a full charge for a while. I’m at a supercharger, not full, letting my car charge to 100%. I have my ac off and it reached 293 30 minutes ago and while charging at 10kw. It’s still charging at 4kw. In 30 minutes the rated range is still at 293. I think this is interesting.

I took delivery of my 3 on Sept 30 last year & the full SOC then was about 308 miles. I installed the Stats app when the car had about 3000 miles on the ODO. I normally charge to 85% and have taken it to 99-100% probably a half dozen times. Stats linear interpolation of my data shows that my full SOC has gone up from 308-309 miles when I installed Stats to 310-311 miles now, when the ODO is at 8800 miles. My battery is getting better! (at least Stats interpretation of full SOC thinks it's getting better!) I'm watching that straight line for when it turns downward when degradation starts kicking in. I'm not in any hurry for that!

Yes - I have gotten the car to fully charge to 310. I did have to keep it charged forever - the car seemed to want to be done charging but I told to continue charging and it did eventually hit 310.

I would only charge to 100% if you have a long trip.

Delivery 9/11/18, 309 miles
306 miles, 100% 4/1/19 15k miles
294 100% & 147 50% 5/20/19,18,600m
293 100% 5/21/19, full balancing
298 97% 4/16/19
296 96% 5/1/19 17k
291 96%, 275 90% 5/21/19
264, 264, 265, 90% 5/22, 5/23, 5/24/19 19,228 60 degrees

Charged to 100% maybe 5x@ home
Supercharged maybe 10 times 70-95%