Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Your Charging Port Light Turn Off When Charging at Home?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had the Y for a little more than a week, and have charged L2 at home twice. Both times the charging port light did its routine fast green blinking right away, but then after about one minute, went dark. No light at all. However, the charging continued, as witnessed on the phone app. Is this normal? I had thought it was supposed to continue the green blinking gradually slowing down towards the end of the charging session. Anyone else see this behavior?

Same with me. Charger light on MYLR turns off while charging despite car being unlocked and in my garage the whole time. Is this an issue I should take to Tesla support? Or no?
It could just be a software bug for the Tesla software release installed on your Model Y. As long as you can see the normal white/blue/green lights of the charging port when the vehicle is unlocked, awake then it should not be a concern.

Reactions: DeltaChik09
Oh nice. I looked at manual as well but didn’t catch it. Can you point out where it said that? I know it does that when car is locked…but I didn’t see where it would if car is unlocked.
The wording on the manual may be a little off or not specific enough. It may literally say "locked", because of assuming how most people have auto walk-away locking turned on.

I think the actual point though, is that if the car is left alone for a few minutes, it will go out of that very "awake", "on" kind of mode into the idle, light sleeping mode, and at that point, it will turn off the light on the charging port, regardless of whether you have it set for auto locking the doors or not.

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Love
Reactions: DeltaChik09 and GSP
It could just be a software bug for the Tesla software release installed on your Model Y. As long as you can see the normal white/blue/green lights of the charging port when the vehicle is unlocked, awake then it should not be a concern.
Yes. I saw the same thing charging yesterday with my new '23 Tesla 3 std. I have a 240v line installed in my garage and a Bolt level 2 charger. I have been charging with the adapter included in the Tesla. Worked fine level 2 the first few times I charged to 100%. Charger colors normal. Yesterday, normal colors on charging but charger color turned dark after leaving it plugged in for 30 mi or so at 100% charged. And I had some trouble pulling the charger plug out. Jiggled it a bit and it came out.

My charger has a button on it, but the button serves to connect the Tesla adapter, and doesn't appear to have any other function.
One other thing: I leave my car open in the garage, without locking, but when I want to drive, it asks for the card again. Which is OK. But I wonder if I should completely open the car with my card before charging? Maybe it turned dark because the car wasn't completely unlocked? Just doors unlocked?

Yes. I saw the same thing charging yesterday with my new '23 Tesla 3 std. I have a 240v line installed in my garage and a Bolt level 2 charger. I have been charging with the adapter included in the Tesla. Worked fine level 2 the first few times I charged to 100%. Charger colors normal. Yesterday, normal colors on charging but charger color turned dark after leaving it plugged in for 30 mi or so at 100% charged. And I had some trouble pulling the charger plug out. Jiggled it a bit and it came out.

My charger has a button on it, but the button serves to connect the Tesla adapter, and doesn't appear to have any other function.
One other thing: I leave my car open in the garage, without locking, but when I want to drive, it asks for the card again. Which is OK. But I wonder if I should completely open the car with my card before charging? Maybe it turned dark because the car wasn't completely unlocked? Just doors unlocked?
The charge port will stop displaying the charge port status colors once the Tesla vehicle completes charging.

To remove the J1772 connector with the Tesla adapter from the Tesla vehicle's charging port you need to first (Step 1) Press And Release the trigger on the J1772 adapter. (If you press and hold the trigger the J1772 connector will pull away from the Tesla adapter. The Tesla adapter will remain in the charge port and the Tesla charge port cover will attempt to close (it won't be able to close.) This won't usually cause any damage but don't make a habit of it.

(Step 2) After you press and release the trigger button immediately pull out the J1772 connector (you may want to also hold onto the Tesla adapter (the Tesla adapter should come of the Tesla charging port without issue.)

(Step 3) After you have removed the J1772 connector with the Tesla adapter still attached, press and hold the trigger on the J1772 connector as you pull off the Tesla adapter from the J1772 connector.