TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Does your dashcam record RecentFiles when parked?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Nikola M3, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Nikola M3

Nikola M3 Member

I have had the car since March 2018, before dashcam. I never remember the dashcam recording files when the car was parked / unoccupied. My camera is now recording over the last driving videos ... after being parked. If I pull the drive after being parked for more than an hour all I see in RecentClips is video of the car parked.

2. DontBetAgtsEln

Looks like it's recording when parked, doors locked and no sentry mode. I was washing the car and was surprised to see it all saved. (that was about 3 weeks ago)

3. Dinosaurus

Dinosaurus Member

Mine only does when it is awake. So...if I walk away for 30 minutes and come back, there will be some, but it stops and the most recent will likely be me having come back.

So I *think* it is only when awake / engaged? Not 100% sure though.

4. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Member

Mine will record for one hour after parking. I have started turning my DashCam off when parking at home.

• Like x 1
  5. japhule

japhule Member

Dashcam will record while the car is awake. If you are parked and the car is awake (not yet sleeping), it will still record. The RecentClips folder has the last 1 hour of footage while the car is on. If you park your car at 2pm, and come back 3 hours at 5pm, the RecentClips will only have footage (if any) recorded from 4-5pm as any footage over an hour at that moment would've been purged.

6. Nikola M3

Nikola M3 Member

Sometimes the “parked” files show “0” MB, on all cameras for the whole hour. I don’t remember ever seeing that before.

7. Nikola M3

Nikola M3 Member

I did a test drive with the dashcam on, (red dot showing), came home and turned off the dashcam, removed the drive. It had 10 minutes of video in the RecentClips folder. ! hour later I put the drive back in the car, the camera icon came on with the red dot, I immediately turned off the dashcam and removed the drive, all the previous files in RecentClips folder were gone.

I understanding writing over the past hour of recorded video. Is the firmware time based where anything older than 1 hour (time of day) is deleted?

8. davewill

davewill Active Member

That's my understanding. If you want to save video, you need to move it out of the recent folder.