TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Does your driver's seat "creak" when making a left turn?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by HX_Guy, Aug 15, 2017.

1. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Member

The driver's seat in my S makes a very annoying, and cheap sounds, creaking noise whenever I make a left turn.
    It's because caused but the seat flexing and rubbing against the center console.

Ive been thinking of putting a piece of foam or something in between the two - has anyone else ran into this? Is it a possibly defective seat?

• Like x 1
  2. kev1n

kev1n Member

have you tried adjusting the seat to a different position and seeing if it still creaks?

3. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

The next gen seats are bad about this. Took ours in to the service center and they applied something to the side of the seat that stopped it.

• Informative x 1
  4. SeminoleFSU

SeminoleFSU Voluntaryist

My seat creaks going straight, turning left, turning right... braking, accelerating, etc. When people call out how loud it is who ride in my car, I tell them it's haunted.

• Funny x 1
  5. boonedocks

boonedocks Member

Don’t laugh but my service center puts Lemon Pledge furniture polish on it. The oils stop the squeak and lasts quite a while.

6. _jal_

_jal_ Member

I had a creak, squeak, crackle in my drivers side door. I surgically stuck a little piece of black cotton rag between the two panels. Then the seat belt anchor started bumping against the seat, so I gingerly stuck a little piece of cloth there. It's so weird. I feel like I'm shimming up a game of Jenga, or playing Operation - Tesla Edition, or something.

• Funny x 2
  7. Safari

Safari Member

I have the same issue with my 2016 S90D: the SC inspection found a crack in the seat bracket that causes the seat to move laterally as well as fore/aft when turning and accelerating/braking respectively. A new bracket is on order but I'm told 'seats take several months to get into repair stock'. Current 'fix' is to stick a bubble padded envelop between the centre console and the drivers' seat, with a bit of tape to keep it in place during turns, when the gap widens enough for it to fall out. Not impressed with a six figure car but the SC has been diligent on trying to get it diagnosed and (hopefully) fixed.

8. tstafford

tstafford Supporting Member

I jam a cloth in between center console and drivers seat bolster. This fixes it.

• Like x 1
  9. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

I just consider it normal operation. Sometimes I think about doing something about it. Haven't yet, though. I don't really consider it as anything broken, per se, so I'm not going to ask the service center to do anything about it (though if they volunteered I probably wouldn't stop them). I might do something myself some day; maybe a cloth or something to put between console and seat.

10. deonb

deonb Supporting Member

Even the very original seats are bad (I have VIN 4601). I have to put a piece of fabric between the seat and center console because of the squeak. In a pinch, I sometimes stick a floor carpet in there.

Probably can use a 3"x6" piece of self-adhesive velcro (the fuzzy side) to resolve this.

Sad that it's needed, and more sad that it's still a thing on new cars.

11. JasonA-EV

JasonA-EV Member

I had the same issue with my next gen seats originally.. took it to the SC and they applied this (all SC's use this as this is a Tesla approved process)..

Chemours Krytox GPL 205 Grease, Pure PFPE / PTFE, 0.5 oz Tube: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

A little goes a long ways! And I mean just abit. I bought the tube myself and have used it twice now and have on 2 other S owners to fix their squeaks.

Look at this thread awhile back where it all started...
    Squeak between driver seat and armrest...

By the tube and you're set for a few years atleast!

• Informative x 2
  12. deonb

deonb Supporting Member

Do you apply that to the seat or to the center console?

[EDIT] I think we are all using 'center console' incorrectly... I mean the big cupholder/armrest station in the center :)

13. Safari

Safari Member

edit: for greater clarity, I mean the large, cup-holder console in-between the seats, not the optional centre floor module. Also, my seat actually moves while driving, creating an unsafe condition, hence the repair instead of lubrication approach. Hopefully everyone else's squeak issue isn't as serious.

14. cantanko

cantanko Member

Hate to say it, but the parallels are uncanny :-D

15. JasonA-EV

JasonA-EV Member

it's the center console between the seats. not the floor console. Don't see how someone could confuse the 2 as the floor console doesn't rub or touch the seats on the bolsters at all.

Anyways.... yes, buy that stuff and put just a tad on there. Done and Done!

16. tstafford

tstafford Supporting Member

Thanks. Just placed an order for it.

• Like x 1
  17. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Member

Received my tube yesterday and problem fixed! Thanks for the advice on this!

• Like x 1
  18. JasonA-EV

JasonA-EV Member

Glad it worked out! I'm on a road trip right now for the eclipse through Oregon and my seats are starting to squeak again!!!

Ughhhh!!!

19. singleview

singleview Member

I have the same problem with my Model S, and Next Gen Seats, and will give this a try! So annoying!! Grr...

20. Struja

Struja Member

You are in luck. There is a thread about it.

Creaking/Rubbing with Next Gen Seats

Since you are in the US, you can get Krytox off amazon. I initially got some from a TMC member and applied it about a month ago and no more noise. It is said to last about six months.

I hope this helps.

---------- edit --------------

Just realized you got the suggestion before I sent it to you. I was so giddy I was finally going to be helpful I didn't read the full thread!!! :(

• Like x 1