Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does your E-car charge when hit by lighting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sheesh! Power travels from areas of excess to areas that can absorb it. The "Shortest Path to Ground". Batteries charge when a potential is presented at their terminals, but they are never connected to ground and thus would not be on that shortest path.

As to exploding, there is nothing in a car battery that has that capability, it's not like they are full of gasoline. They may burn if the lithium is exposed to oxygen, but no explosion, just a long burn.

This is a cell phone cell, the burn causes the plastic to inflate and pop:

Sheesh! Power travels from areas of excess to areas that can absorb it. The "Shortest Path to Ground". Batteries charge when a potential is presented at their terminals, but they are never connected to ground and thus would not be on that shortest path.

As to exploding, there is nothing in a car battery that has that capability, it's not like they are full of gasoline. They may burn if the lithium is exposed to oxygen, but no explosion, just a long burn.

This is a cell phone cell, the burn causes the plastic to inflate and pop:

But, due the fact the battery's are WAY bigger and much more of them in 1 car. This might give more a explosive power because all battery's start burning, due to overpowering.

No it won't explode like gasoline indeed. But all battery's igniting at the same time, seems very dangerous to me.

But, due the fact the battery's are WAY bigger and much more of them in 1 car. This might give more a explosive power because all battery's start burning, due to overpowering.

No it won't explode like gasoline indeed. But all battery's igniting at the same time, seems very dangerous to me.
What makes you think the batteries would be affected? It would be similar to a human in a car being struck by lightning, which, by the way, would be rare as cars have rubber tires, so the shortest path to ground may be arcing around the car.

So,

My partner came to me with the question what happens to a electric car when it get's hit by lightning....
I'm amazed that no one has given you the correct answer. If the car's charge port is hit with a lightning strike delivering
1.21 GigaWatts (aka the Brown Flux-Capacitor Threshold),
with a repeat-strike discharge duration of say
100 milliseconds,
then the energy delivered into the pack will be
33.6kWh.
Though this is only about half the pack capacity of a typical Tesla, the nearly-instantaneous charge transient overwhelms the space-time safety-regulation circuitry, leading to rapid thermal Sensor Fusion which will cause the vehicle to Tunnel at unheard-of speed directly to the nearest Starbase, probably directly to southern Texas (unless the event originated in Texas, in which case it may execute a seemingly nonsensical HyperLooping detour through a neighboring state before returning).

The relativistic time-compression of this HyperBlitz Ludicrous Launch will fling you 30 years into the future. Upon your arrival, you'll have to re-calibrate your Vision, but I caution that you still may not notice any obvious improvements in the general state of things. However, the good news is that if you paid for FSD you should be just in time for the first public-release download. Also you can check this forum to see if the new headlights are available yet.

The following video illustrates the effect, it was required viewing for all of us who lived through the 1980s:

• Funny
Reactions: israndy
Had a lightning strike a tree beside our house a few years ago, coincidentally I happened to be standing under the rear door awning enjoying the light show when it happened and got the full experience from 25 feet away. There was a sharp crack, bark shot off the tree like flaming lava and it knocked all of the electronics in our house out...

EXCEPT the two electric cars which were unaffected, parked and plugged in to our garage circuits.

• Love
Reactions: israndy