TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Does your map traffic info auto-update?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by zer0cool, Jul 31, 2018.

1. zer0cool

zer0cool Member

So have had my Model 3 for just a few days but I noticed that my car's map traffic info doesn't auto-update.

So with BMW, Model S, the car map's traffic info would update say every few minutes so it stays current. However with my Model 3, the traffic info is stagnant. So for example I see the map as green as I begin driving, then later when I get to a part of the freeway, I notice a huge jam but the map is still green.

However if I just click the traffic info button twice (so turn it off and then on again), the map would update and show the segment of the highway as being red. The map would then stay stagnant until either I do the same thing again, or change the zoom level of the map; basically when the map reloads.

Is this how it works for you? Or is there something wrong with my map software?

• Informative x 1
  2. PoitNarf

PoitNarf The Clown Prince of Crime

Others have reported the same bug. I believe zooming out and in also forces the traffic info to refresh. Hopefully they’ll have this working better in a future update.

3. Boourns

Boourns Active Member

Mine is the same. Sometimes it updates sometimes it doesn't. But since I've been burned before I have gotten in the habit of turning it off then on when I get in the car for rush hour.

4. TurnFast

TurnFast Member

I wonder if this is a cost saving measure to reduce data usage or if it’s a bug.

5. BioSehnsucht

BioSehnsucht Model 3 LR

I don't usually leave the navigation function running while I'm driving to/from work but I've had it once redirect my route home from work to avoid an accident, partway through the trip (before reaching the bad traffic).

6. redhooker

redhooker Member

It was working just fine. The last update (I'm on 24) broke it for me. I waiting for 26 and hopefully it will be fixed there.

7. Runt8

Runt8 Active Member

If they were that concerned about data usage they would have enabled WiFi updates a lot sooner. Traffic data is tiny.

8. Inside

Inside Member

On the Model S the traffic updates every 2 minutes. Problem is... the first update is 2 minutes after you start the car. Until then it shows stale traffic info from yesterday. This is a bug that was introduced about 3 years ago. Before that I never had a problem.

9. yyzunderdog

yyzunderdog Member

I haven't noticed this in my 3. I usually use the navigation almost all the time (mostly for arrival time, with voice muted)... and I've had it update the route along the way to respond to traffic.

10. Reevo

Reevo New Member

I’m having this issue as well, and also noticed that the quickest fix is to toggle the traffic filter off/on, and it instantly updates. Hoping this gets fixed in a new release.

I’m on 26.3.

11. Boourns

Boourns Active Member

Just to be clear the problem is not with the navigation. It is the UI display of traffic conditions. If you don't turn traffic display off then on (by pressing the stoplight icon) it will display traffic on a given road as green when, in fact, it is red.

12. zer0cool

zer0cool Member

Ok looks like a pretty general software bug. Hopefully will be fixed in the next update.

13. yyzunderdog

yyzunderdog Member

Yup - I understand. I haven't seen the noted behaviour. The representation generally seems accurate to the traffic conditions I am experiencing. I will however keep a close eye on it to see if it does transpire. Thanks for the clarification and info.

14. Boourns

Boourns Active Member

I rarely use navigation, so it would be an interesting experiment to see whether the navigation relies on the traffic displayed or whether it knows the actual traffic conditions.

15. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

I had understood that the route calculation was being done server side. Deduced that (or induced? I'm not good at logic terminology) was why the non-premium data plan will include traffic conditions when calculating the route but won't be able to display traffic conditions on the map.

• Informative x 1