Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does your map traffic info auto-update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So have had my Model 3 for just a few days but I noticed that my car's map traffic info doesn't auto-update.

So with BMW, Model S, the car map's traffic info would update say every few minutes so it stays current. However with my Model 3, the traffic info is stagnant. So for example I see the map as green as I begin driving, then later when I get to a part of the freeway, I notice a huge jam but the map is still green.

However if I just click the traffic info button twice (so turn it off and then on again), the map would update and show the segment of the highway as being red. The map would then stay stagnant until either I do the same thing again, or change the zoom level of the map; basically when the map reloads.

Is this how it works for you? Or is there something wrong with my map software?

On the Model S the traffic updates every 2 minutes. Problem is... the first update is 2 minutes after you start the car. Until then it shows stale traffic info from yesterday. This is a bug that was introduced about 3 years ago. Before that I never had a problem.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
I haven't noticed this in my 3. I usually use the navigation almost all the time (mostly for arrival time, with voice muted)... and I've had it update the route along the way to respond to traffic.

Just to be clear the problem is not with the navigation. It is the UI display of traffic conditions. If you don't turn traffic display off then on (by pressing the stoplight icon) it will display traffic on a given road as green when, in fact, it is red.

Just to be clear the problem is not with the navigation. It is the UI display of traffic conditions. If you don't turn traffic display off then on (by pressing the stoplight icon) it will display traffic on a given road as green when, in fact, it is red.
Yup - I understand. I haven't seen the noted behaviour. The representation generally seems accurate to the traffic conditions I am experiencing. I will however keep a close eye on it to see if it does transpire. Thanks for the clarification and info.

Yup - I understand. I haven't seen the noted behaviour. The representation generally seems accurate to the traffic conditions I am experiencing. I will however keep a close eye on it to see if it does transpire. Thanks for the clarification and info.

I rarely use navigation, so it would be an interesting experiment to see whether the navigation relies on the traffic displayed or whether it knows the actual traffic conditions.

I rarely use navigation, so it would be an interesting experiment to see whether the navigation relies on the traffic displayed or whether it knows the actual traffic conditions.
I had understood that the route calculation was being done server side. Deduced that (or induced? I'm not good at logic terminology) was why the non-premium data plan will include traffic conditions when calculating the route but won't be able to display traffic conditions on the map.

• Informative
Reactions: Boourns