Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does your Model S scrape on speed bumps?

How often do you scrape

• Frequently

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Occasionally

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Clearing all speed bumps, no problem

Votes: 64 64.0%
  • Speed bumps?

Votes: 7 7.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Scrapes on our driveway if not raised to high. Has bent the chromed U-shaped piece a couple times. Over $800 to replace. Or, since it's chromed plastic, a hair dryer for 10 minutes and a car jack to hold it back in place while it cools have made for a homemade, but not awful, repair.

My 2020 (November 2019 build) Model S scraped badly yesterday on a speed bump I have gone over many times in a 2016 Model S and in this same car before the suspension update. I was going very slowly. The recommended Low position for the suspension is too low for at least one speed bump so I will take a look at it and change it. Could I program it to raise at that location? Shouldn't the car do that automatically?

My 2020 (November 2019 build) Model S scraped badly yesterday on a speed bump I have gone over many times in a 2016 Model S and in this same car before the suspension update. I was going very slowly. The recommended Low position for the suspension is too low for at least one speed bump so I will take a look at it and change it. Could I program it to raise at that location? Shouldn't the car do that automatically?
With the new logic in the recent updates, when you change the height at a location, you need to additionally ask to remember it (choice on the screen)

This was totally my fault about my 2020 S scraping that speed bump. When I later checked my Suspension settings, I realized that I had selected the ride height to always be on Low. So I removed the default to always Low and changed it to something else. I just drove over that same speed bump yesterday and it didn't hit it. I'm so glad it was just human error instead of the car.