TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Does your P85+ pull right on Bay Area roads?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by 403portside, Jan 30, 2014.

1. 403portside

403portside Member

Specifically much of 880 and 101? I know roads are crowned but I'm starting to get concerned that my P85+ can't keep alignment. Or perhaps my expectations are out of whack. It seems to pull right on the highway, at certain times.

I've already had it aligned once. It got better after, but now seems to pull again.

2. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

The best way to test whether your car drifts is by driving on roads that are known to be flat. If your car drifts there, you probably have an issue with alignment, inflation, or uneven tire wear. If your car only drifts on certain roads, then it's most likely specific to that road. Early on, Tesla did not have its own alignment benches and farmed the work out to other local dealerships. Here in AZ they sent cars to a Mercedes dealer for alignment. When they did that, it was the worst alignment I had ever received. The car came back with an off-center steering wheel and it pulled to the right quite obviously. It was serious enough that I sent an email to Jerome at corporate. I can't believe a Mercedes dealer, contracted by Tesla, would do such a terrible job. I feel pity now for anyone who bought their Benz from that dealer.

It wasn't until Tesla aligned my car using their new in-house alignment bench that my car felt like it did from the factory. If you had your alignment done early, and not done in-house by Tesla, you might want to have them redo it.

3. 403portside

403portside Member

Thanks for your feedback. I actually had the car aligned at the Tesla Burlingame center. I will test it on different roads to see what's up.

4. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

Would you mind posting your alignment report? That may shed some light on whether the original alignment was done properly. I know there was some chatter a couple of months ago about the alignment benches not having the right specifications initially.

5. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

No trouble on the 101 or any other Bay Area roads beyond what you'd expect from road crowning. Sounds like possibly an improper alignment (non-zero thrust angle?), or maybe not holding alignment. Probably worth getting it checked.

Does it still pull to the right if you let off the accelerator just a little so that it's coasting (not in regen)?

6. clmason

clmason Member

#6 clmason, Jan 31, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
    Your model s is probably trying to go home. Is right for you in the direction of Fremont? :)

7. JPP

JPP Active Member

In addition to alignment, be sure that tire pressures are exactly dead on and to spec, and also be sure you do not currently have unusual tire wear.

8. 403portside

403portside Member

Update:

SC ruled everything out and then ended up swapping right and left rear wheel/tire and seems to have gone away.

9. Nubo

Nubo Test Mule

Everyone knows that SF Bay Area roads all lean to the left :tongue: