Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does your Premium Connectivity music pause or start over?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone ...

I have a 2021 Model 3 and my spouse has a 2021 Model Y. (March '21 builds). We both have Premium Connectivity music but they seem to behave differently regarding playback when we get back into our cars (both using same streaming station).

In my Model 3 when I get back into my car whatever song was playing when I got out starts over from the beginning. It does the same even if I press the pause button before I get out.

In the Model Y the song will resume at the same spot as when we got out of the car.

I'd rather have my car behave like the Model Y. Is there a setting I might be missing somewhere? How does your car behave? Just curious which one of us is the odd man out.

Thanks.

It boggles my mind that something that seems so basic can be so hard to f*&@ up in the software, but it's likely just a software bug, not an actual setting. You didn't say exactly which service you were using, but I normally listen to podcasts using TuneIn in the car, and the behavior (or misbehavior) changes from software update to software update. It had actually been improving (it seemed to remember my episode and where I was in the episode) for awhile, and then suddenly a few SW updates ago it took like 5 steps backwards. Very frustrating, but in your case, I would just wait until the next major software update and hope it gets fixed, because yes, the normal behavior should be to resume exactly where it left off.

Note that Tesla isn't the only platform with this issue...now that Google Play Music has switched over to YouTube Music I have seen the exact same issue you are describing. Sometimes (but not always), YT Music will go back to the beginning of the song I was listening to in my last session. This is especially annoying because I usually pause it at the end of the song at the end of a listening session, so I hear the entire song twice!

It boggles my mind that something that seems so basic can be so hard to f*&@ up in the software, but it's likely just a software bug, not an actual setting. You didn't say exactly which service you were using, but I normally listen to podcasts using TuneIn in the car, and the behavior (or misbehavior) changes from software update to software update. It had actually been improving (it seemed to remember my episode and where I was in the episode) for awhile, and then suddenly a few SW updates ago it took like 5 steps backwards. Very frustrating, but in your case, I would just wait until the next major software update and hope it gets fixed, because yes, the normal behavior should be to resume exactly where it left off.

Note that Tesla isn't the only platform with this issue...now that Google Play Music has switched over to YouTube Music I have seen the exact same issue you are describing. Sometimes (but not always), YT Music will go back to the beginning of the song I was listening to in my last session. This is especially annoying because I usually pause it at the end of the song at the end of a listening session, so I hear the entire song twice!

We're just using the built in streaming service. Searched for 90's music and picked the '90's Alternative' station, I believe. I hope it does correct itself because it's a pretty annoying bug.

We're just using the built in streaming service. Searched for 90's music and picked the '90's Alternative' station, I believe. I hope it does correct itself because it's a pretty annoying bug.
Yeah, behaves like that for us too. Was like that in 2021.11.102 and still is in 2021.32.21. All Tesla's streaming stations I tried so far are like this.

Is there a website that Tesla monitor where you can report stuff like this or are we supposed to hope that SA have a hear into Telsa's QA. Like Microsoft's feature request website.

Edit: Hmm, surfing the web and found these voice commands to report bugs. Anyone tried that?

1633491427201.png

Last edited:
Yeah, behaves like that for us too. Was like that in 2021.11.102 and still is in 2021.32.21. All Tesla's streaming stations I tried so far are like this.

Is there a website that Tesla monitor where you can report stuff like this or are we supposed to hope that SA have a hear into Telsa's QA. Like Microsoft's feature request website.

Edit: Hmm, surfing the web and found these voice commands to report bugs. Anyone tried that?

View attachment 718263
Is your Model 3 a LR or SR+?

I still continued to dig around after posting this thread and from what I've read in other posts here is this another difference between premium and partial premium sound systems. Premium systems pause and resume while partial-premium starts the song over.

Last edited:
In my 2018 Model 3 with the latest software (and many versions before) I have the same issue of restarting a podcast. But it only happens about 1 out of every 8 or 10 times. The other times it remembers the previous pause point from when I stopped and got out of the car. Sometimes it doesn't restart from the beginning, but rather to (maybe) a previously remembered pause point.