TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Does your sunroof vent on its own out of nowhere?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by BestRadar, Oct 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. BestRadar

BestRadar Member

Lately my Sunroof seems to have a mind of its own and it vents out of nowhere. I can be just driving and out of nowhere bam it opens. Has happened around 8 times in the past 2 weeks and there is no rhyme or reason when it will decide to open on its own.

2. jareade

jareade Supporting Member

Could you be hitting the scroll wheel by accident? My sunroof was controlled by my right scroll wheel until I changed it and it was always being accidentally opened. Otherwise, mine has never mysteriously opened on its own.

• Like x 1
  3. BestRadar

BestRadar Member

No, I can be driving and not touching anything and it will just open. Last night my son closed the passenger door when he got in and it opened as he closed the passenger door. My concern is that it will open on its own at some point when its sitting there and it might be raining. Its a pain in the ass having the closest dealer over 1 1/2 hours away to bring it back in.

4. kdday

kdday Member

I've never had this, but I also think the most likely culprit is the right scroll wheel on your steering wheel. Make sure it's not set to control the Sunroof. Have it control something else (recent calls for example) and then see if Sunroof continues to have a mind of its own.

5. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

The only other 'inadvertent' thing I can think of (and I don't even have an S....) is the app "Remote S", which has the roof controls (as well as an Apple Watch version, I love it for unlocking the car, easier than getting the fob out, but I digress... ) If you use that app, it can do that.

If there is no software involved, and no 'scroll wheel' involved, I'd see if you can tie down the time involved (you said it happened in front of you and your son), and call Tesla. They can check the logs and I'd think tell you what triggered it. I hope that would include what actual control mechanism did it to solve this mystery.

I'd like to hear this answer, myself!

6. David99

David99 Active Member

I have had that happen a few times. Out of nowhere did the roof open and the HVAC turned to LO setting. There was no one using the remote app (I made sure). Tesla was never able to find the problem. It haven't happened to me in 2 years, though.

7. BestRadar

BestRadar Member

HVAC is on by default so I dont know if the two are related in any way. I contacted support and they asked me to note the time it happens next so they can check the logs.

8. David99

David99 Active Member

Yeah that's what I did. Gave them the exact time and they were going to check the logs, but never heard anything.