Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does your tesla automatically connect to your iphone hotpot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed my car doesn't ever automatically connect to my iphone. The car is set to automatically connect to the network and in the phone it's set to "allow others to join", I always have to turn that setting off and on as soon as I get in the car for it to work.

I don't have the same issue with other devices connecting.

My carrier is AT&T if it helps. Do your phones automatically connect?

HotSpot on iPhone (depending on service) purposely makes it NOT automatic. They want it as inconvenient as possible so people don’t use it for say their home service and let their home router connect to their phone. Also they want you minimize sharing. It may do it to save power too.

The car will happily reconnect if it’s broadcasting. But it shuts down when it disconnects until you go back in on the phone.

Mine is on Verizon and does the same thing. Although I think my Apple devices have a way of getting connected (probably talks over Bluetooth and tells phone to turn on hotspot). Same account same user.

Reactions: DelPhonic1
HotSpot on iPhone (depending on service) purposely makes it NOT automatic. They want it as inconvenient as possible so people don’t use it for say their home service and let their home router connect to their phone. Also they want you minimize sharing. It may do it to save power too.

The car will happily reconnect if it’s broadcasting. But it shuts down when it disconnects until you go back in on the phone.

Mine is on Verizon and does the same thing. Although I think my Apple devices have a way of getting connected (probably talks over Bluetooth and tells phone to turn on hotspot). Same account same user.

thats what i thought too at first. but my other devices autoconnect.

thats what i thought too at first. but my other devices autoconnect.
Other iDevices? Under your Apple ID account? Mine will too.

I develop mobile apps on iPhone and Android. The Android phones will never auto connect, but my other iPhones will. Because it knows it’s me and uses a back door to let the phone re-enable hotspot.

well my macbook does. but i don't have the family share feature enabled.

but i also have a desktop running ubuntu that autoconnects as well as a raspberry pi.
I’m surprised the Ubuntu will connect automatically. It might be that with your other idevices around it turns on hotspot for them but the Ubuntu tail gates in ;)

Try bringing an iPad or even MacBook (just to test) and see if that allows the car to auto connect. Once hotspot is awake anything might be allowed to connect.

• Informative
Reactions: jmaddr
I’m surprised the Ubuntu will connect automatically. It might be that with your other idevices around it turns on hotspot for them but the Ubuntu tail gates in ;)

Try bringing an iPad or even MacBook (just to test) and see if that allows the car to auto connect. Once hotspot is awake anything might be allowed to connect.

good points, ill experiment around.

iPhones don't broadcast the wireless network for Personal Hotspot unless you're on the screen in the settings (you can also long press the wireless icon on the Control Center to make the Personal Hotspot discoverable).

If you don't do this, and your iPhone is locked, or on the home screen, or whatever, then the wireless network is not visible to the car, so it can't connect to it. This is unlike e.g. a MacBook that can see your iPhone and connect to it as a hotspot over Bluetooth at any point.

A more simpler reason for why Personal Hotspot isn't active 24/7 once enabled is because your iPhone can't both be a wireless access point AND use wireless itself. You will notice that if you go on the Personal Hotspot screen on your iPhone that it will drop any wireless connection it was using for its own internet access. If your iPhone was permanently broadcasting a wireless network for your car (or other devices) to use, it - and you - couldn't use wireless itself for data. That could get expensive fast, depending on your phone plan.

iPhones don't broadcast the wireless network for Personal Hotspot unless you're on the screen in the settings (you can also long press the wireless icon on the Control Center to make the Personal Hotspot discoverable).

If you don't do this, and your iPhone is locked, or on the home screen, or whatever, then the wireless network is not visible to the car, so it can't connect to it. This is unlike e.g. a MacBook that can see your iPhone and connect to it as a hotspot over Bluetooth at any point.

A more simpler reason for why Personal Hotspot isn't active 24/7 once enabled is because your iPhone can't both be a wireless access point AND use wireless itself. You will notice that if you go on the Personal Hotspot screen on your iPhone that it will drop any wireless connection it was using for its own internet access. If your iPhone was permanently broadcasting a wireless network for your car (or other devices) to use, it - and you - couldn't use wireless itself for data. That could get expensive fast, depending on your phone plan.
It doesn’t need to broadcast 24/7 for the car to auto connect. It just needs to when it’s not connected to Wi-Fi. Like when you drive away from home. As mentioned, someone’s Pixel works.

MacBook doesn’t typically hotspot over Bluetooth. It tells the phone to switch to Wi-Fi hotspot over Bluetooth and then connects to it. But it can connect over Bluetooth too.

Also watch out on plans. I have unlimited data but it has a finite limit on hotspot. Not sure how fast the car would chew through it.

It’s worth the $100 a year to subscribe for premium.

It doesn’t need to broadcast 24/7 for the car to auto connect. It just needs to when it’s not connected to Wi-Fi. Like when you drive away from home. As mentioned, someone’s Pixel works.

MacBook doesn’t typically hotspot over Bluetooth. It tells the phone to switch to Wi-Fi hotspot over Bluetooth and then connects to it. But it can connect over Bluetooth too.

Also watch out on plans. I have unlimited data but it has a finite limit on hotspot. Not sure how fast the car would chew through it.

im not doing it to avoid premium, im doing it for a project im working on. tesla requires an internet connection to connect to a wifi network so i was seeing the minimal way to get it to connect. i was able to get a single wireless card to both connect to my iphone and broadcast a hotspot for tesla to connect to (and bridged via software) but it's cumbersome to have to turn to my iphone every time. might look into an IOT sim card.

Reactions: mswlogo
The iPhone doesn't broadcast for security reasons. If it did broadcast anybody could see it and there are ways to hack into it. Your Apple ID is what connects all of your Apple devices together. It knows when your phone is in proximity, the same way your calls will ring through to other devices connected to your network in proximity.

As for why you would use your phone's hotspot, having Tidal play in Hifi requires wifi either to download or to stream. I use it all the time. As for it eating up the data, it always seems to be enough but I don't use my car enough to know how long I could go with it. I have a 40gb hotspot limit and I haven't hit it yet.

Reactions: DelPhonic1

I have the highest data plan that Verizon offers. I got so tired of smacking up against my iPhone tether limit every single month since Tidal was downloaded, that I bought a separate hotspot just for the Tesla, which I have plugged into the back. Maybe the big lie "unlimited data" is gated/limited so that I'll buy a separate device and it worked. So now Tesla data for FSD Beta now uses it for its big uploads and update downloads, and when I get in the car, it doesn't auto connect, but all I have to do is enable wifi in the display, which is rather quick and easy, and it finds the hotspot on its own pretty quickly. It's extra duckets, but there's no stress, and those 44.1 downloads/playback are 24/7. And that makes me happy.

As well, I now have a hotspot on the go, so if there is an issue with wifi at destination spots with me and wifey, we're covered. Cuz I often use a lot of data.

I have the highest data plan that Verizon offers. I got so tired of smacking up against my iPhone tether limit every single month since Tidal was downloaded, that I bought a separate hotspot just for the Tesla, which I have plugged into the back. Maybe the big lie "unlimited data" is gated/limited so that I'll buy a separate device and it worked. So now Tesla data for FSD Beta now uses it for its big uploads and update downloads, and when I get in the car, it doesn't auto connect, but all I have to do is enable wifi in the display, which is rather quick and easy, and it finds the hotspot on its own pretty quickly. It's extra duckets, but there's no stress, and those 44.1 downloads/playback are 24/7. And that makes me happy.

As well, I now have a hotspot on the go, so if there is an issue with wifi at destination spots with me and wifey, we're covered. Cuz I often use a lot of data.
Doesn’t Tidal work (same quality) over the cars premium subscription as Wi-Fi?

How much did that cost you for a separate hotspot? Isnt it just cheaper to pay the $10 a month?