Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does your Tesla come fully charged at delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We pick up our MY tomorrow and live 211 miles from the Tesla pickup. For those that have already picked up, how much do they charge them before pickup? I tried to respond to a text asking if we wanted to pick it up today instead, but had to shift a bunch of things on our schedule for tomorrow. But they did not text me back. Curious if I should just plan on a supercharger stop?

I don't remember the exact SoC. It definitely wasn't full (which is best practice unless you absolutely need to on an exception basis). I believe it was 80% but could have been as high as 85 or 90. It probably varies based on how busy your delivery location is that day, since they will have only a finite number of charging stations and if your location is like the ones around here, likely a boatload of deliveries taking place most days.

And, just throwing in a point, perhaps to the uninitiated: While some Service Centers have Superchargers, not all do. What all of them will have is what's known as Destination Chargers. That'll get you around 40-45 miles of charge per hour. So, if a car with a 300-mile range comes off the truck with a bunch of others, and they all have 50% charge, getting them to 80% charge (a reasonable number) means putting (300*0.8 - 150)=90 miles, which is a couple of hours of charging. Per car. Getting a couple of dozen cars charged up with, say, five destination chargers present is therefore going to be 90*24/(5*45) = 9.6 hours of charging. Doable, but it could be a scramble. And I have zero idea how many destination chargers a service center might have.
On the other hand: At a Supercharger one can go from 20% to 80% charge on a $RANDOM modern Tesla in about 20 to 30 minutes. So, if you're picking up a car, it might be in order to stop at a nearby Supercharger for a celebratory slice of apple pie and coffee before heading home. If the Supercharger's not busy, you can even make it up to 100% charge in about an hour; useful if you've got a serious trip ahead. In this case you'd likely want to stop for a meal.
In my experience, Supechargers are always located near food establishments 😁.
Finally: If you do have a distance to go after picking up the car, just put the destination into the Nav screen and let the car navigation do its thing. If you don't have sufficient charge to get you home, it'll pick Superchargers and the amount of time to stay at each (if there's more than one) in order to minimize your trip time. (For example: The spouse's Model 3 can make it in one go from New Jersey to Boston, but it'd arrive with near-zero charge if it did that. The Nav often has us stopping at an SC when the SoC is well below 50% for, say, anywhere between 5 and 15 minutes. Mind you, the car charges fast when it's at a low State of Charge; at a 250 kW SC, you can get 100 miles in about ten minutes.)

I think I had 200 miles or so range (MYLR) when I picked up, wound up stopping at a Supercharger on the way home because it was down to about 20% charge when I got home. First Supercharger stop is a trip because you just plug in and it goes and they chase after your billing info later.

If you do use a SC on the way home, make sure to either set it as a destination or it's on your route on the map. That way it will pre-condition the battery before you stop which saves time.

I think I had 200 miles or so range (MYLR) when I picked up, wound up stopping at a Supercharger on the way home because it was down to about 20% charge when I got home. First Supercharger stop is a trip because you just plug in and it goes and they chase after your billing info later.

If you do use a SC on the way home, make sure to either set it as a destination or it's on your route on the map. That way it will pre-condition the battery before you stop which saves time.
Again, for the uninitiated: If you plug your destination into Nav and it has you stopping at a Supercharger, it'll put up the, "Preconditioning the Battery" message when it gets close to the SC it has you stopping at. Admittedly, sometimes the car's idea of "close" can be, "90 miles away", but, why argue with the car?
Another example: Say that your destination doesn't have Superchargers near by, and/or the only charging solution is a 120 VAC line to the house, or anything like that, and maybe You've Got Plans to show off your Shiny New Car to every friend and relative in the tri-county area 😁 . So, you're going to need ~150 miles of charge on the car when you finally get home, but the Nav, being the Nav, has you getting home with 10% SoC. (This will show up on the Directions part of the Nav, after you put your destination in, and it's just figured out how to get you where you're going.) Which would be fine if you'd be charging overnight, but you're not.
So, in the bottom right side of the Nav screen, tap it. A set of three icons will appear, one of which will be a lightning bolt. Tap on the lightning bolt; every Supercharger for a good-sized area around will appear, usually with the Nav screen zooming out to encompass them all. You can pan and zoom; find an SC close to home, and tap it; it'll do a routing to that Supercharger, rather than your house. And then you can do a final charge-up so you don't have to spend a half-hour charging somewhere with kvetching relatives in the back seat. And the car will start doing its pre-heating thing on the way to that Supercharger, thus minimizing your time spent charging.

Well the sales center texted me back and said they will have it at 90% for me today. Still considering a stop at a super charger on the way home just to do it once and get familiar with the process. Not sure why a busy super charger feels like surfing to me, where the locals are going to yell at me to get off their wave, or get out of their way....Excited to join the EV community today.