Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does your Tesla crash? I mean, the software!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

My screen goes blank while driving, stays off for a random period of time (several minutes) until it reboots and comes back on.

This seems to be happening only while I have my phone playing music over Bluetooth.

While the screen is off, Autopilot continues to drive, but if I take control, I cannot signal. Of course, there's also no way of seeing your speed.

This used to happen rarely, then started happening about once a day, and last time it happened twice during my ~hour-long commute!

Is this a known problem that is expected to be fixed in a future update, or should I contact the service, as there may be a hardware issue?

Thanks.

...known problem...

In some cases, you can still use your phone app to control other options of your car and monitor your driving speed.

For a relatively new Tesla, the software does crash but not that often.

For older cars like 2012, you might expect lots of crashes and it's time to swap out the old eMMC memory for a new one.

If you have MCU1 that works fine with HW2 and HW2.5 and then when you upgrade it with HW3.0, you should expect it to crash often. You might want to upgrade to MCU2 if you have HW3.

Reactions: Huskyf
In some cases, you can still use your phone app to control other options of your car and monitor your driving speed.

For a relatively new Tesla, the software does crash but not that often.

For older cars like 2012, you might expect lots of crashes and it's time to swap out the old eMMC memory for a new one.

If you have MCU1 that works fine with HW2 and HW2.5 and then when you upgrade it with HW3.0, you should expect it to crash often. You might want to upgrade to MCU2 if you have HW3.

This is just about a year-old car in Australia (pre-ordered). Is there a reliable resource listing which cars where have which of these hardware?

Thanks.

This is just about a year-old car in Australia (pre-ordered). Is there a reliable resource listing which cars where have which of these hardware?

Thanks.

You can go to your car's screen and click on the final tab labeled "Software" then click on "Additional Vehicle Information".

If you can show me the picture of that screen, I can tell you which is which.