Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does your Tesla try to take every exit on the Interstate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find it is much better if you have the NAV on for a destination and the AP engaged. In that scenario I rarely have issues. With just AP it a 'roll of the dice' as to if it tries to exit or stays with the main highway.
You may be totally right, but I think the general consensus around here is that AP is not talking to NAV whatsoever, so I wonder if it's coincidence? Or it could be that this has changed recently?

Reactions: croman and brkaus
Not a problem with my AP1 2015 70D (2017.34 2448c), I just came back last night from a weekend road trip and no issues, lots of AP freeway driving including right lane.

I will say that a year ago, if I was in the right lane approaching an exit that went straight ahead just at the point the main hwy curved left, then AP seemed to want to take the exit and manual intervention was required. But after one of the software updates last year tha problem disappeared and it’s behaved well at exits ever since.

I find it is much better if you have the NAV on for a destination and the AP engaged. In that scenario I rarely have issues. With just AP it a 'roll of the dice' as to if it tries to exit or stays with the main highway.

Interesting. I have found it to perform the same, regardless of using navigation. It's almost like the lane keeping is completely separate from the turn-by-turn navigation. There was a recent podcast where one of the hosts goes into detail about HD maps and autopilot, and explains what I'm experiencing in great detail: 72 – HD Maps with a Special Guest

Note: I'm not affiliated with the show, but this episode was very relevant to the topic of lane keeping and the AP system knowing where the car was going. And their guest was very knowledgeable when it came to AP technologies.

Still, I'm glad that you are having better results and I hope that the system continues to improve on the existing hardware.

-DJ

All the times when I have had the Autosteer problem (trying to take the exit), I had the Navi system working, with the destination many miles straight down the interstate (i.e., it was not trying to follow Navi directions by swerving toward the exit).

Did 750 km mixed roads yesterday and not once it tried to take an on ramp, off ramp, not even bus stops. It does shake the wheel a bit but keeps straight.
No difference if tracking a car. Going over crests are a different story though...
Ap2 2017.38 f87

...the car will try to take the exit..

I got my AP2 since March 2017 and throughout all versions so far, it seldom does an unintentional freeway exit.

Whether navigation is on or off, slow or 70 MPH speed.

Here's one sample with version 8.1 (2017.34 2448cfc) where if I go straight, that's the wrong exit and AP2 did correctly by doing a left curve to keep being on freeway:

AP2 here. If the exit has the dashed lines, it will not take it. If the exit doesn't have those dashed lines, I'd say 10% of them will induce a quick movement towards the exit and a quick movement back into the lane. I generally am in the fast lane, so no issues other than on roads with left exit ramps (much rarer).

On local roads, it will take about 33% of the only lanes that do not have dashed lines. It will, occasionally, take dashed only lanes (5% is my guesstimate).

Its definitely getting better but 17.17.4 did not take any exits or only lanes so there was a regression when we went "silky."