Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does your X role (fwd or bkwd) when you stop on an incline?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got creap mode off. Talking to a Tesla sales rep he mentioned that it should essentially place itself in park when you have your feet off both pedals and it's at a dead stop. Mine doesn't..if I'm on even a modest incline it'll role fwd (or bkwd).

Does yours stay put or also roll?

I've got creap mode off. Talking to a Tesla sales rep he mentioned that it should essentially place itself in park when you have your feet off both pedals and it's at a dead stop. Mine doesn't..if I'm on even a modest incline it'll role fwd (or bkwd).

You have to hold the brake until you see the (H) light up in the instrument panel. Then you can remove your foot from the brake. Otherwise it rolls.

I don't think it's a dead stop, it will roll...

That's why I keep creep on. With creep on, the car never rolls backwards, even if you forget to enable the hill hold function. I saw somebody on this forum accidentally roll backwards when he forgot to enable (H), and he hit the guy behind him.

That's why I keep creep on. With creep on, the car never rolls backwards, even if you forget to enable the hill hold function. I saw somebody on this forum accidentally roll backwards when he forgot to enable (H), and he hit the guy behind him.

True, but I find creep annoying when I don't want the car to creep, which is most of the time in practice. Using hill hold becomes second nature after a short time and you don't have to press the brake very hard to activate it like you do when it's in creep mode. Basically just a light tap to make it stay put on any incline, however steep. I'm not sure creep alone would hold it back on a very steep hill, not something I've tested personally.

It's all a matter of preference. I prefer a manual transmission or sequential gearbox, so I detest creep and I have my foot on the brake if I don't want to roll. I love the hill hold feature on the Tesla though, since it let's me relax the brake foot, but I always visually confirm hill hold.

If you prefer automatics, then you're likely to prefer creep on. I've been tapped more than once though by somebody at a light who crept into me, so I'll adamantly disagree with anyone who argues creep on or creep off is safer. Paying attention to what you're doing behind the wheel of a multi-ton vehicle is the safer solution.

Reactions: Kacey Green
It's all a matter of preference. I prefer a manual transmission or sequential gearbox, so I detest creep and I have my foot on the brake if I don't want to roll. I love the hill hold feature on the Tesla though, since it let's me relax the brake foot, but I always visually confirm hill hold.

If you prefer automatics, then you're likely to prefer creep on. I've been tapped more than once though by somebody at a light who crept into me, so I'll adamantly disagree with anyone who argues creep on or creep off is safer. Paying attention to what you're doing behind the wheel of a multi-ton vehicle is the safer solution.

Coming from a conventional auto, creep is the easy option as it behaves the same way. I came from driving a mixture of autos and manual transmissions so I wasn't too fussed either way. If find creep off is certainly more convenient in most daily driving scenarios.

I too love the hill hold on the Tesla. Other cars have it too, but they usually rely on an inclinometer to switch it on which I find can be hit or miss. Tesla's simply but very effective manual implementation is perfect! I've never once missed having a conventional handbrake in the Tesla, even with creep off when the hill hold becomes an essential feature.