Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Doesn't have a Request FSD beta button, what am I doing wrong?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

A new 2023 MYLR with software v11.1 (2023.2.11) and I got the "Full Self-Driving Capability" under specs in the app.

I subscribed to FSD ($199/m) today and got the navigate on autopilot option made available, but the Full Self-Driving (Beta) switch on the same screen is grayed-out.
I do not have a Request FSD Beta button anywhere on the Autopilot settings screen.

Any idea what else I might need to do to be able to request the beta?

Thank you!

1676644140926.png

1676643945687.png

Reactions: Jesse75
Hi,

A new 2023 MYLR with software v11.1 (2023.2.11) and I got the "Full Self-Driving Capability" under specs in the app.

I subscribed to FSD ($199/m) today and got the navigate on autopilot option made available, but the Full Self-Driving (Beta) switch on the same screen is grayed-out.
I do not have a Request FSD Beta button anywhere on the Autopilot settings screen.

Any idea what else I might need to do to be able to request the beta?

Thank you!

View attachment 908230

View attachment 908229

You will get it automatically on the next FSD beta software release.
You no longer have to request it (and no more safety score either).

1676644651205.png

Last edited:
Reactions: usrbin
You will get it automatically on the next FSD beta software release.
You no longer have to request it (and no more safety score either).

View attachment 908232

Thank you, @n.one.one!
Since I can probably still cancel the subscription without being charged, would it make sense for me to cancel the subscription and just wait for the "upcoming release", or will I be in this loop (subscribe first and then wait for next release again)?
I apologize for asking, this is a little confusing.

With the recent NHTSA recall nobody knows what will happen with FSD since the issues brought up by the NHTSA don't appear to be easily resolvable.

Right, we dont know, but at this point no one should "expect" to be getting "FSD Beta". The OP (and everyone else) should expect to get the FSD they already have, and nothing else, until this is resolved (if it ever is).

Reactions: Genie and 240vPlug
Thank you for all the information. I should probably cancel my new subscription and avoid being charged and wait it out until this "recall" issue gets resolved. Thank you everyone!
As of May 18, 2023, still greyed out, and Tesla support won't give any date that it will be made available. Perversely, those who had it before the 'recall' have gotten and are getting periodic updates. Just not all us new buyers, for whom FSD is a myth used to entice us to buy, but not available. Under the circumstances, it is rather shameful to keep charging $199 a month but give only a couple minor features. They should at least lower that price to half or less in the meantime.

As of May 18, 2023, still greyed out, and Tesla support won't give any date that it will be made available. Perversely, those who had it before the 'recall' have gotten and are getting periodic updates. Just not all us new buyers, for whom FSD is a myth used to entice us to buy, but not available. Under the circumstances, it is rather shameful to keep charging $199 a month but give only a couple minor features. They should at least lower that price to half or less in the meantime.
As it's been said 1,000 times, your purchase or subscription of FSD does not guarantee you getting FSD Beta.

As it's been said 1,000 times, your purchase or subscription of FSD does not guarantee you getting FSD Beta.
The problem is that if you go to subscribe at $199 for FSD, you're still not told clearly that you're getting very little for your money beyond enhanced autopilot, and nothing that remotely should be called 'Full Self Drive'. It's misrepresentation. Calling it 'enhanced driver assistance' say, and pricing it at $99 would be more honest

The problem is that if you go to subscribe at $199 for FSD, you're still not told clearly that you're getting very little for your money beyond enhanced autopilot, and nothing that remotely should be called 'Full Self Drive'. It's misrepresentation. Calling it 'enhanced driver assistance' say, and pricing it at $99 would be more honest
You are, though. You just didn't read the description.

It details out what you get and City Streets driving isn't one of them.

screenshot-2023-05-18-at-8-14-32-am-png.938819

But who reads the descriptions before they make a purchase, right?
As more and more people are saying on Youtube, it is pretty much fraudulent to call what Tesla is calling Full Self Driving as that. It is most certainly NOT that at the moment, nor has it been for several years. It not only doesn't Full Self Drive on city streets, it doesn't full self drive anywhere at all. It doesn't currently even do automatic lane changes, autopark, summons or smart summons. About all it does is adaptive cruise control (which many other mfgs cars do now) and autosteering in simple situations. Tesla should suck it up and just call it what is is, not what they hope it may (or may not) be some day.

As more and more people are saying on Youtube, it is pretty much fraudulent to call what Tesla is calling Full Self Driving as that. It is most certainly NOT that at the moment, nor has it been for several years. It not only doesn't Full Self Drive on city streets, it doesn't full self drive anywhere at all. It doesn't currently even do automatic lane changes, autopark, summons or smart summons. About all it does is adaptive cruise control (which many other mfgs cars do now) and autosteering in simple situations. Tesla should suck it up and just call it what is is, not what they hope it may (or may not) be some day.
It absolutely makes turns on the interstate.

It's what it has always been.

In 2018 or prior, you'd have a legit complaint, but Tesla clearly states what FSD is and isn't and there's a wealth of additonal resources including this forum if "City Streets Coming Soon" doesn't make sense to you.

Agree about buyer beware warning but you also have to see the point about how misleading the usage of terms such as Full self drive and Autopilot are- if Tesla would offer EAP subscription for $99 , id probably buy that as I find auto lane change and summon somewhat useful. EAP would also be better termed as EDA (Enhanced driver assist) for now. Don't think buying EAP upfront is worth for $6k plus state taxes unless you hold on to your car for 5+ years (since it's kinda official now that HW4 is not going to be available to upgrade to for current car users). If pricing is dynamic, no reason why names of these terms need to be static- give it the FSD moniker when it actually hits L4 level! That's my 2 cents but pending some successful legal action probably not gonna happen!

Reactions: melmalinowski
While I agree that Tesla's naming is confusing it is NOT called Full Self Driving. It is called FSD Capability Package. So it has the capability to do FSD in the future.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

ca·pa·bil·i·ty
the power or ability to do something.

Not "the potential to do something", but the "ability to do something". The word is used because they needed a noun to identify the feature. Even your sentence "So it has the capability to do FSD in the future" is using "capability" correctly, suggesting that it is the ability to do something. You've simply added "in the future" to suggest that it is part and parcel of the meaning of "capability".

Reactions: SidetrackedSue
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

ca·pa·bil·i·ty
the power or ability to do something.

Not "the potential to do something", but the "ability to do something". The word is used because they needed a noun to identify the feature. Even your sentence "So it has the capability to do FSD in the future" is using "capability" correctly, suggesting that it is the ability to do something. You've simply added "in the future" to suggest that it is part and parcel of the meaning of "capability".
...and Tesla covers that. Tesla says:

"...The activation and use of these features are dependent on achieving reliability far in excess of human drivers as demonstrated by billions of miles of experience, as well as regulatory approval, which may take longer in some jurisdictions. As these self-driving features evolve, your car will be continuously upgraded through over-the-air software updates...."

So it is capable according to Tesla (not me) of FSD but needs improvement and approval. So capability doesn't necessarily mean you are presently doing something but the ability. For instance you could say: I have spent many hours in a flight simulator landing planes and I'm fully capable of landing one.

Last edited:
...and Tesla covers that.
It doesn't matter what Tesla said. You wrote "capability" - in large, bolded letters - and followed it with a statement that it implicitly means "in the future". It doesn't. That's all I was pointing out.

As a result, there's no caveat emptor ethic applicable to the feature as a result of the word "capability" being part of its name. The caveat emptor here is that Tesla says that "Autosteer on city streets" is "Coming Soon". Anyone paying Tesla money for the FSD capability and expecting to get the city streets stuff as well should also expect to be disappointed. Caveat emptor.

Agree about buyer beware warning but you also have to see the point about how misleading the usage of terms such as Full self drive and Autopilot are- if Tesla would offer EAP subscription for $99 , id probably buy that as I find auto lane change and summon somewhat useful. EAP would also be better termed as EDA (Enhanced driver assist) for now. Don't think buying EAP upfront is worth for $6k plus state taxes unless you hold on to your car for 5+ years (since it's kinda official now that HW4 is not going to be available to upgrade to for current car users). If pricing is dynamic, no reason why names of these terms need to be static- give it the FSD moniker when it actually hits L4 level! That's my 2 cents but pending some successful legal action probably not gonna happen!
It absolutely makes turns on the interstate.

It's what it has always been.

In 2018 or prior, you'd have a legit complaint, but Tesla clearly states what FSD is and isn't and there's a wealth of additonal resources including this forum if "City Streets Coming Soon" doesn't make sense to you.
You are conflating FSD and FSD Beta. FSD does not full self drive on interstates. All it will do is self-steer within a lane, change a lane if requested by driver, and adaptive cruise control. That's it. Anyone who paid $15,000 for FSD since November 2022 expecting to get more than that have been out of luck. I'm a pilot, and it seems to me that Tesla 'Autopilot' is also misnamed, as its functionality is still very limited. If this situation continues, and word gets out that new Tesla buyers do not get FSD Beta for their money, people may start looking at other alternatives in EVs. I want Tesla to succeed, but I also want what Tesla promoted in order to get me and others to buy in the last 6 months. Not just a vague promise that it may come 'someday' in the future. Or not. Otherwise, 'City Streets coming soon' may translate for them into 'Defer buying Teslas, it's not ready yet'

Last edited: