Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dog cage in Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hi! posting from Norway. We have ordered a Model Y, delivery this autumn and hopes that some kind souls out there can help us measure the trunk space, so I can check if our current dog cage will fit in the trunk with the rear seats non folded.

its 35,5 inches wide, 26,5 inches tall (slightly tapered from bottom to the top, 34,5 inches deep.
Fits perfect in our current model X.

thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20210223_151405.jpg
    20210223_151405.jpg
    791 KB · Views: 1,869
I was trying to get a VarioCage into the Model Y, but the largest one that would fit was still too small for my dog.

I know the floor of the cargo area is 35.75" wide, 40" deep. I think 27" is lowest point on the liner in the middle, and maybe 25.5" on the extreme sides, but that's over the wheel bumps so the height of yours might be perfect.

I know that the Model X does not allow for a larger VarioCage than the Model Y can fit, so if it fits the Model X, I think there's a decent chance the Y will be just fine.

hi! posting from Norway. We have ordered a Model Y, delivery this autumn and hopes that some kind souls out there can help us measure the trunk space, so I can check if our current dog cage will fit in the trunk with the rear seats non folded.

its 35,5 inches wide, 26,5 inches tall (slightly tapered from bottom to the top, 34,5 inches deep.
Fits perfect in our current model X.

thanks in advance!

I had the same question and actually tried fitting my pup's crate behind the rear seats in the Y. The crate is 36" L x 22"5 W x 25" H and it did not fit. The main issue is the height as the lip for the hatchback as it tapers down and you also loose some space at behind the seat due to the recline of the back seats (I was surprised as I thought the Y had more space behind the back seat than it actually does). By my crude calculation (and equally crude pictures attached) the largest crate I could fit back there would be 36" L x 20" W x 22" H which is an odd size and not sure I'll be able to one with those dimensions (or even close to them). My pup is medium size and 50lb so could go in a smaller crate than the one I have, but the space in the trunk is going to severely limit options. Let me know if you find something that works!
IMG_0917.jpeg
IMG_0918.jpeg
IMG_0920.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I had the same question and actually tried fitting my pup's crate behind the rear seats in the Y. The crate is 36" L x 22"5 W x 25" H and it did not fit. The main issue is the height as the lip for the hatchback as it tapers down and you also loose some space at behind the seat due to the recline of the back seats (I was surprised as I thought the Y had more space behind the back seat than it actually does). By my crude calculation (and equally crude pictures attached) the largest crate I could fit back there would be 36" L x 20" W x 22" H which is an odd size and not sure I'll be able to one with those dimensions (or even close to them). My pup is medium size and 50lb so could go in a smaller crate than the one I have, but the space in the trunk is going to severely limit options. Let me know if you find something that works!View attachment 639383 View attachment 639387 View attachment 639391

Many thanks, that was super helpful! maybe its easiest to have a custom built cage..

I had the same question and actually tried fitting my pup's crate behind the rear seats in the Y. The crate is 36" L x 22"5 W x 25" H and it did not fit. The main issue is the height as the lip for the hatchback as it tapers down and you also loose some space at behind the seat due to the recline of the back seats (I was surprised as I thought the Y had more space behind the back seat than it actually does). By my crude calculation (and equally crude pictures attached) the largest crate I could fit back there would be 36" L x 20" W x 22" H which is an odd size and not sure I'll be able to one with those dimensions (or even close to them). My pup is medium size and 50lb so could go in a smaller crate than the one I have, but the space in the trunk is going to severely limit options. Let me know if you find something that works!View attachment 639383 View attachment 639387 View attachment 639391

By the way, what is the height of the trunk if you remove the trunk bottom plates?.. that should probably add a few inches? it defiantly did on our model x!

If you can get them out your way, a Ruffland Medium dual door kennel fits my 60 pound Australian Shepherd perfectly, and fits in the Model Y trunk perfectly as well. Rufflands are also great in that they are full molded plastic, super easy to clean, and if you drop the middle seat in the rear, the ventilation holes line up perfectly with the rear vent. He sleeps in a large, and I can 100% confirm for anyone curious that the large will not fit, at least not sideways like this without having to put the seats down.

IMG_1240.jpg

If you can get them out your way, a Ruffland Medium dual door kennel fits my 60 pound Australian Shepherd perfectly, and fits in the Model Y trunk perfectly as well. Rufflands are also great in that they are full molded plastic, super easy to clean, and if you drop the middle seat in the rear, the ventilation holes line up perfectly with the rear vent. He sleeps in a large, and I can 100% confirm for anyone curious that the large will not fit, at least not sideways like this without having to put the seats down.

View attachment 881443
Is that a medium or a intermediate as I don't see the side door option available for mediums just the intermediated I'm guessing my 40 lb aussie would need a medium and not an intermediate, but that side entrance is nice in the Y

Is that a medium or a intermediate as I don't see the side door option available for mediums just the intermediated I'm guessing my 40 lb aussie would need a medium and not an intermediate, but that side entrance is nice in the Y
It seems they've changed their sizing around a bit. Mine has two grab handles, and two sets of holes in the back, so looks like it's what they now call the intermediate.

I'd also give a little tip after running this setup for a while... remove the side door. Your dog won't be able to get out even with it off, and it is the cause of a ton of rattling in the back. For whatever reason the side door rattles way more than the front.

I was working on coming up with some bushings to fit into the locking mechanism to keep it super snug so it didn't rattle around, but got tired of playing around with it and just removed the door completely.