Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dog (Golden Retriever) in a model Y boot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love my model 3, but we also have an Audi A6 for the sole job of transporting the dog. They are too big for the footwell in a 3 and the boot is obviously no good. My lease ends next April so could be good timing for a Y.

So anybody actually seen a model Y and have any idea if I could

a) fit a golden Retriever in the boot
b) get a dog guard for a model Y

Also looking at the other option of a Ioniq 5. How does its boot compare this a model Y?

Boot seems huge. the below video give you a good indication of the size

Has comparison table at end that included ioniq 5 (if you particularly interested search ioniq 5 banana box and you will find same test for ioniq)
Can't comment on dog guards

Last edited:
I love my model 3, but we also have an Audi A6 for the sole job of transporting the dog. They are too big for the footwell in a 3 and the boot is obviously no good. My lease ends next April so could be good timing for a Y.

So anybody actually seen a model Y and have any idea if I could

a) fit a golden Retriever in the boot
b) get a dog guard for a model Y

Also looking at the other option of a Ioniq 5. How does its boot compare this a model Y?

I assume you will get the 5 seater? If so, or if 7 seat with third row flat, there will be plenty of space to keep your loved one happy.

I have not seen good trunk mats for the 7 seater, but plenty of options for the 5 seater, so you might consider that as well.

I know you didn't ask about second row, but just in case: Model S/3/Y Pet Liner

• Informative
Reactions: CMc1 and MrBadger
Boot seems huge. the below video give you a good indication of the size

Has comparison table at end that included ioniq 5 (if you particularly interested search ioniq 5 banana box and you will find same test for ioniq)
Can't comment on dog guards
Thanks. Both look a pretty good size. I have to be honest I quite like the look of the Iconiq 5 305PS AWD considering it’s £10k cheaper then the model Y LR!

I also like the fact you can run stuff off the battery on the Iconiq 5 - great for camping.

It would be good if you could take this a step further and run your house of it. Negate the need for a separate power wall

I believe that is the very plan for a UK smart grid in the distant future and is exactly the idea behind the Tesla/Octopus powerwall tariff.

It will help solve the problem of storing excess renewable power that's generated when it isn't needed, but currently introduces the problem that not all vehicles can do it and neither can most charge points, but I expect financial incentives followed by legislation to start appearing when it becomes viable.

Biggest problem is Infrastructure right now, you really want a significant number of vehicles plugged in when not being used and we have neither the grid capability or the connections yet - pretty much every parking space will need a hook up.

There's also a lot of thinking about how you price import/export as well as not leaving people stranded because you didn't leave them with enough charge.

It would be good if you could take this a step further and run your house of it. Negate the need for a separate power wall
Interesting thought. Most people with a power wall have solar and use it to harvest. The ones that dont have it, use it just for uninterrupted power supply. Would you leave your car plugged in 24/7? ... Im sure you have something in mind though.

Interesting thought. Most people with a power wall have solar and use it to harvest. The ones that dont have it, use it just for uninterrupted power supply. Would you leave your car plugged in 24/7? ... Im sure you have something in mind though.
I was thinking the car is at home at night when electricity is cheap. I also only use electricity (more or less) when I am at home (which is when the car is at home). So basically my battery goes with me.

As I understand it Tesla’s can’t send power back out the charge port like the Iconiq. Seams as shame they don’t include the electronics for that. Cost I assume

My Golden loved riding in the back of my X. Was much more relaxed back there than in my previous ICE. Not sure why, but the EV seems to have a calming effect.

There is a load floor over the lower trunk area to provide a flat surface and easy loading. It can simply be removed to provide several inches of additional Dog space.