Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dog mode failed and my dog was overheated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had innumerable issues with my Model X “black screen of death” and reboots that have gone un-fixed but described as a “known issue”. Last week I had an emergency appt. with my dog in the car. Put the car in dog mode as it was 90 degrees out. Was in the appt for about 30 minutes and upon opening the car, it had the black screen of death and was hot inside with my dog in obvious distress. Had her checked by my vet and she was ok after much hydration. This is my last straw with Tesla!

I have had innumerable issues with my Model X “black screen of death” and reboots that have gone un-fixed but described as a “known issue”. Last week I had an emergency appt. with my dog in the car. Put the car in dog mode as it was 90 degrees out. Was in the appt for about 30 minutes and upon opening the car, it had the black screen of death and was hot inside with my dog in obvious distress. Had her checked by my vet and she was ok after much hydration. This is my last straw with Tesla!
No excuse for this.

Reactions: GreenT
If it is 90 degrees outside - why not -also- crack a window (or one on each side) about 1/2 inch?

Yes, you are right about the car should not be rebooting itself and that needs to be fixed.
But your dog also needs to have some air and 'monitoring'. Was the "known issue" also
accompanied with a "we'll have the fix in about ___ weeks"?

- Jim in the PNW

First post, I noticed. I’ve used Dog Mode but never without constantly checking the mobile app for the status of the car.
This is the first time I've looked for the dog mode in my mobile app after seeing your post to locate the status of the car but cannot find the dog mode anywhere. I'm on 2022.20.6 version and I walked back to my car frequently to check up on the statues of my pooch. Thank you for any insight to locate it in my app.

This is the first time I've looked for the dog mode in my mobile app after seeing your post to locate the status of the car but cannot find the dog mode anywhere. I'm on 2022.20.6 version and I walked back to my car frequently to check up on the statues of my pooch. Thank you for any insight to locate it in my app.
Got to Climate and scroll down to the bottom.

Reactions: Inci Willard
This was a guy who put one message up. Total. I'm not sure this really happened, may have just been somebody trying to make Tesla look bad.

I've never had the dog mode (or keep, or camp modes) fail, and I own a 12/2014 S. Also it's easy to check the temperature inside your car at any time on the mobile app. So, yeah, need to share the blame.

And, If this is real, what year is this? What firmware are you on? Does it have MCU1? If so, of course you can't trust it, get the upgrade, best bang for the buck Tesla offers. And then you can trust it.

Lots of questions!

Reactions: John in LB
This was a guy who put one message up. Total. I'm not sure this really happened, may have just been somebody trying to make Tesla look bad.

I've never had the dog mode (or keep, or camp modes) fail, and I own a 12/2014 S. Also it's easy to check the temperature inside your car at any time on the mobile app. So, yeah, need to share the blame.

And, If this is real, what year is this? What firmware are you on? Does it have MCU1? If so, of course you can't trust it, get the upgrade, best bang for the buck Tesla offers. And then you can trust it.

Lots of questions!

I've had this happen with me sitting in the car with dog mode on. MCU2. Must be software because I had near daily restarts. Not so much anymore, but I wouldn't trust it.

How hot did it get? Even without Dog mode, Cabin Overheat should have kept the cabin to a maximum of 105ºF. While not as cool as one would like, 105ºF is not really dangerous.

Reactions: henderrj