Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dog mode has a bug

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The bug is in how v9 handles HVAC itself, as far as I'm concerned. In version 8 and prior, you could select each of Fan, Mode, Recirculate and A/C and individually select which you want in Auto and which you want to control manually. It was brilliant and largely like most other cars. Now it's all messed up. I like to not use A/C if I don't have to, keep the car on outside air (Recirculate Off) but leave Mode and Fan on Auto for the most part. It is now really clunky to do this kind of thing and often after a stop/start of the car it's all messed up. Fine for those who like the set-and-forget Auto system, but useless for any kind of manual control. I am guessing the same thing that messes up the HVAC settings when you try to over-ride is also messing up Dog Mode.

I noticed that too. Basically, I threw my hands up and said fine, I'll keep it in auto and just adjust the temperature a lot. Depending on my activity level, I have it set from 62F to 76F. That works OK since I live in a very temperate climate, but if I had to deal with real winters and such, it probably wouldn't work very well.

Tesla used to have another dog related bug in the Model X. By default, the rear AC would be in AUTO, which means it won't even turn on unless it senses a person sitting in a seat. Well, if you have a dog in the back hatch area, the poor dog won't be getting AC while you are driving around if rear AC is set to auto. I don't know if that's the way it is now, but that's another horrible "auto" setting.

I agree, HVAC in general has gotten too "smart" in V9 as it fights the user in getting what they want. I don't want feature interactions bundled, pressing one button off in HVAC causes two other HVAC features to change as a side effect. That's just aggregation - playing whack a mole with HVAC settings.

Again, just bad UI.

I agree, HVAC in general has gotten too "smart" in V9 as it fights the user in getting what they want. I don't want feature interactions bundled, pressing one button off in HVAC causes two other HVAC features to change as a side effect. That's just aggregation - playing whack a mole with HVAC settings.

Again, just bad UI.
Even in 2013, the car kept changing my HVAC settings, but the latest version is worse. Back in the beginning the changes were minor.