Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dog Mode Improvement Needed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok tons of "disagrees".. I get it ppl - you all enjoy leaving your dogs alone in cars. I DO NOT- feel free to disagree alllll day long. It's my opinion and it wont change.

Kids, animals, elderly should NEVER be left alone. How do you know you're coming back? Seriously.. we are not invincible!!.. with the crazies in the world today I'd rather leave my dog home than risk injury in a car. To me it's like locking a child in the bathroom. It's pretty much the most dangerous of scenarios.

Did you hear about the dog that HUNG HIMSELF BY HIS COLLAR while waiting for his owner to get his Latte?!!

TRUE STORY!!
I don't understand why you think your dog is safer lonely and alone at home than happy nearby in your car.

Please share why you're so opposed to this idea? I have a dog and I use dog mode for short duration chores on medium temp days. Never on scorching hot days. Please educate me/us on your concerns.

And starting a comment with "I will never understand" is never a great leadin because it basically says you don't/can't understand the other side of an issue. And there are always two sides to every issue. See in this case I'm very open to understanding your side of this particular coin.

I appreciate your polite inquiry to my harsh reply. Sure I could have chosen my words more carefully but Im dead set against leaving animals/ childeren/ elderly in a car.. for obvious reasons. They can get hurt. They can die. There are so many places dogs can get stuck, caught, trapped, strangled, etc. you THINK you're running in a store for a quick minute, but we can't predict the future. You could have a heart attack, get robbed, kidnapped, ubducted by aliens- seriously, wouldn't you rather your dog be safe in your climate controlled home if you get waylaid-- for any reason?
There are too many unknowns. The same goes for children. I treat my pets just like children- and I'd never leave them in a car- ever.
Many many many many restaurants and businesses are pet friendly, take them with you or find a pet sitter. I hate to leave my pets too. I have a wonderful lady that babysits them and it took me a looooong time to find someone I trust.

Some people need to get over themselves. Sure your dog/ cat loves you but they won't die out of your presence. That's actually hilarious when ppl say it's for the dogs sake that they cram it in a small hot car- no, it's for you and it's selfish.

Please google the 100s of stories about pets dying in cars. MOST stories are well meaning owners. Just picture for one minute your dog hanging from his collar on the door jamb, or steering shift- or ANY PROTRUDING OBJECT IN THE CAR when you come back with your Whopper. Dogs in cars are fine with me, WHEN THEY HAVE SUPERVISION. I do put my dog in the car, in a kennel--- and I never put it in park and walk away- ever.
Elon can have my dog mode. I wish he'd work as hard on the phone-as-a-key as he does pet mode.

Dog Mode is my favorite feature in this car (used to wish this was an option in my previous car...). But one HUGE oversight by Tesla... Dog Mode DOES NOT lock out the windows. Several times, I have returned to find a window rolled down after my dog stepped on the button. Two obvious concerns here... 1) Falkor jumping out the window, and 2) a dognapper capitalizing on the opportunity (yes, that is a thing here and Falkor is a purebred CKCS so a prime target).

My fix is to use a felt pad to cover over the window buttons. Hopefully it is a temporary fix while we wait for a s/w fix from Tesla.
Yep, our little dog once locked my wife out of her truck when she got out to pick something up on the road. By the time I arrived with the spare set of keys she coaxed him to step on the window and lock buttons and eventually got the window to come down. Your concern is a very good concern and hopefully they will rectify the problem.

Very cute dog by the way! You may want to consider having some of the folks on here who have 3d printers come up with a plastic form fitting window button cover.

This brings up an interesting point, however, do the window buttons still work when the car is locked? It seems like an easy way to open the window by just putting a wire down the window and pushing the button to get at what's inside.

Dog Mode is my favorite feature in this car (used to wish this was an option in my previous car...). But one HUGE oversight by Tesla... Dog Mode DOES NOT lock out the windows. Several times, I have returned to find a window rolled down after my dog stepped on the button. Two obvious concerns here... 1) Falkor jumping out the window, and 2) a dognapper capitalizing on the opportunity (yes, that is a thing here and Falkor is a purebred CKCS so a prime target).

My fix is to use a felt pad to cover over the window buttons. Hopefully it is a temporary fix while we wait for a s/w fix from Tesla.
Ok I agree with all your comments but give me the opportunity to name my dog

Never realized this. Thanks. Our two Basenjis never get in the front seat though, so I guess the child lock for rear windows would work for us. When we're on a road trip, we go eat after we walk them, then keep them safety-strapped in the middle seat of our X while we're charging.

"Dog mode" has room for further improvements, apparently - it should not be possible for him to move the windows, locks, or controls for example - but it is extremist to say that a dog should not or could not ever be left alone in an enclosed, air conditioned, padded, alarmed, and monitored environment like the inside of the MOST ADVANCED MOTOR VEHICLE EVER DESIGNED.

I would certainly do that LONG before I would take my dog across a busy street, walking him along a scorching sidewalk, then tying him to a lamp post in 98 degree heat and 105% humidity.

However, I would rather do THAT long before I would leave him alone for 6-8 hours at a time in a dark, quiet, and empty house on an every-day basis.

I'm looking for an all-electric camper-van (or at least a hybrid camper van) in which I can leave my A/C running even when the vehicle is parked for extended times.

My model 3 is just filling a spot until that model comes along.

Reactions: focher
I appreciate your polite inquiry to my harsh reply. Sure I could have chosen my words more carefully but Im dead set against leaving animals/ childeren/ elderly in a car.. for obvious reasons. They can get hurt. They can die. There are so many places dogs can get stuck, caught, trapped, strangled, etc. you THINK you're running in a store for a quick minute, but we can't predict the future. You could have a heart attack, get robbed, kidnapped, ubducted by aliens- seriously, wouldn't you rather your dog be safe in your climate controlled home if you get waylaid-- for any reason?

Please google the 100s of stories about pets dying in cars. MOST stories are well meaning owners. Just picture for one minute your dog hanging from his collar on the door jamb, or steering shift- or ANY PROTRUDING OBJECT IN THE CAR when you come back with your Whopper. Dogs in cars are fine with me, WHEN THEY HAVE SUPERVISION. I do put my dog in the car, in a kennel--- and I never put it in park and walk away- ever.

No different than your home. They could be strangled/impaled there just as easily. Or if your air conditioning goes out at home and you have a heart attack in the store and your pet runs out of food and water.

Mine like car rides. My car allows me to bring them with and I check to make sure the temperature is staying accurate. We have dogs and foster dogs. We treat them well and keep them safe, without being absurd. Try to take it easy.

When at home do you go out to get the mail? You could get hit by a bus and never come back.
Hey, sometimes you just have to live life. You can't take every possible low probability event into account every moment of every day.
Or maybe that four letter word, WORK

Or are you a California 'I must have my stress dog with me'. In the REAL US you can't take your dog everywhere.

Isn't there a window lock for children that would also work in this case?

Ok tons of "disagrees".. I get it ppl - you all enjoy leaving your dogs alone in cars. I DO NOT- feel free to disagree alllll day long. It's my opinion and it wont change.

Kids, animals, elderly should NEVER be left alone. How do you know you're coming back? Seriously.. we are not invincible!!.. with the crazies in the world today I'd rather leave my dog home than risk injury in a car. To me it's like locking a child in the bathroom. It's pretty much the most dangerous of scenarios.

Did you hear about the dog that HUNG HIMSELF BY HIS COLLAR while waiting for his owner to get his Latte?!!

TRUE STORY!!
I agree. The sky may fall at any moment

While we are talking about the status of the windows, it might be a prudent idea to have the car automatically lower all the windows slightly if the owner has left it in the dog mode, the battery power had dropped to 20%, and the interior temperature climbs above a certain amount that could be life threatening to the animal. This might prevent a tragedy when something had happened to the owner preventing them from returning.

And invariably, knowing human nature, somebody is going to put the car in the dog mode and leave kids in it. In that circumstance, this safety feature could save a human life.

Reactions: SnowFlyer and KenC
All good points but I will never understand people who leave their dog in a car- even for one minute. My dog is a dog, no certificates, no blue ribbons and I would NEVER leave her alone in a car. NEVER EVER.. EVERRRR

Bet my dogs live longer happier lives than yours.

We all take risks.

Is there zero risk leaving a dog in a car? no.
Is there zero risk having a dog in the car with you? no.
Is there zero risk leaving a dog at home? no.
Would you leave children or elderly alone at home?

We feel “safer” when dogs are with us. We often park the car so we can watch it from say a window in a restaurant.

We used to park car always in full shade with all windows open as wide as I could with out them fitting through. If we could not find such a spot we would not leave them. We’d also monitor the car every 10 minutes to be sure it stayed cool.

I still wonder if that was safer than dog mode. We still park in shade even with dog mode. But makes me nervous having windows shut and depending on Elon’s Software Engineers.

Even with dog mode I set a timer for every 10 minutes to check cabin temp. The temp thing is a bit wonky. It’s not always actual temp but desired temp. And it’s desired temp isn’t always what you thought you set it too. Be careful.

I also have a baffle between front seats. Dogs are never allowed in the front. Ever. If they did, they would stay home.

Last edited: