Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dog Mode ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Rottie

Jun 24, 2019
CT
Is dog mode going to dramatically affect my range when using it for longer than running into a store? I drive to many destinations daily and I plan to bring my dog along and Im wondering if a 75d will be sufficient.

It will greatly depend on the climate and what you set your temperature at, but I found that it only uses a few miles an hour.

How long are you going to use it total in a day? I've "left climate on" the lowest for an hour and it only used 1%...I was trying to get my battery down for a supercharger test and it was an extremely ineffective way to use the battery lol

It will greatly depend on the climate and what you set your temperature at, but I found that it only uses a few miles an hour.

How long are you going to use it total in a day? I've "left climate on" the lowest for an hour and it only used 1%...I was trying to get my battery down for a supercharger test and it was an extremely ineffective way to use the battery lol

I drive all over CT area to different stables to work on horses. I can be at each one anywhere from 30 mins to 4 hours so it could be quite a bit of time. Usually it's more like an hour and a half.
So far you are giving me good news!

Which battery would you lean towards? I drive approximately 175 a day with occasional longer drives. Not a ton of super chargers in CT

Reactions: DirtyT3sla
Is dog mode going to dramatically affect my range when using it for longer than running into a store? I drive to many destinations daily and I plan to bring my dog along and Im wondering if a 75d will be sufficient.
It will depend on the outside temp, direct sun, and the desired inside temp.

Personally, I’d use it for short trips inside but not very long just due to risk.

If you do use it, suggest putting a note on the window or dash.
- pet mode activated
- see inside temperature in the screen
- contact number

It will depend on the outside temp, direct sun, and the desired inside temp.

Personally, I’d use it for short trips inside but not very long just due to risk.

If you do use it, suggest putting a note on the window or dash.
- pet mode activated
- see inside temperature in the screen
- contact number

I absolutely plan to hang a note, check on her after every horse I work on, park in the shade, and leave the whole vehicle open with a battery operated fan on her when temerpture outside is cool enough.

I drive all over CT area to different stables to work on horses. I can be at each one anywhere from 30 mins to 4 hours so it could be quite a bit of time. Usually it's more like an hour and a half.
So far you are giving me good news!

Which battery would you lean towards? I drive approximately 175 a day with occasional longer drives. Not a ton of super chargers in CT

Range is king...are you buying a new or used X? Standard range is rated at 255 miles, and in your coldest months you can expect to lose 30-40%...so if you can get away with 150 miles with no charging, then that may be tough, especially running climate control. Can you plug in at any of these places you're going? Even with a high quality extension cord on a standard outlet that could help the battery a bit, altho I've heard you can still lose range on a standard outlet with the battery trying to warm itself (not as much of an issue if you were just driving, battery should be warm).

Get the most range you can afford and then don't worry about it. If this is on the top end of your budget already, then check plugshare and see what kind of charging you can do throughout your day.

I'll second the "range is king" sentiment. Given your described usage, I would recommend the 100 kWh pack if you're looking at a used Tesla or the "long range" version if you're buying a new Tesla. Keep in mind that winter can nearly double your energy consumption, especially if you're parking for hours on end with the heat running for the dog. A 75D Model X's realistic range would be 140 - 175 miles in the winter, assuming you start with a full charge. A 100D/long range would be 170 - 210 miles.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I'll third range is king. I go to quite a few dog competitions and am pretty aggressive on my use of the AC. Surprised at how much battery it uses actually.

I also have Evannex black out shades to keep the car cooler (essential for dogs in car). I also keep 70% Aluminet Shade Cloths and Ryobi battery packs with a fan, Ruffwear Cool Vest, and mini tent for crate in case I run low on battery and need a backup

Evannex Shades ($300 for all shades)
Sunshades: Tesla Model X
Shade
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CM5TQJ1/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A1DYXLZ3XCJYNK&psc=1
Fan
RYOBI 18-Volt ONE+ Hybrid Portable Fan (Tool Only)-P3320 - The Home Depot
(best purchased during Ryobi promotion of free accessory with purchase of battery)

On another note, even after the software update, my Dog Mode is still glitchy. I have an alarm set to check car temps every 15 minutes depending on conditions because it's been so squirrely. Wish Tesla could get this right and have a mobile alarm and have the car alarm go off when the temp gets above a certain point.

I LOVE dog mode. I use it frequently, even when the dogs are not in the car. I do like the fact that getting in and out of the car doesn't shut down the climate.
In the winter, it's nice to return to a warm car.
In the summer, it's nice to return to a cool car.

How much range/battery does Dog mode use?
I took a before and after picture, when using dog mode yesterday.
I was going to be sitting at a dog agility trial and I knew it was going to get warm.
I did put a windshield screen in front.
I also played Cat's Quest and Beach Buggy Racing while I was waiting, as well as listening to the radio.
Not sure what the drain is for each, but not suspecting much.

After 5 hours, I'd lost about 10% of the battery.
The Starting temp was 74 at 9:30AM. Sorry for the fuzzy picture.
View attachment 665228

I then took the after picture at about 2:30 PM. Not sure what I did differently, but at least the picture is clearer. The high temp the car registered was 92.
Dog mode set to 74.
View attachment 665229

As this was just one recorded test, it is not a double blind study with complete scientific results, but it's a reasonable approximation.
Plus I haven't done a record test in the winter to see how well the heat pump does.
Hope this helps folks.

Reactions: FirstInTown
I use it all the time and LOVE IT! No need to put a sticker one the window. This is what the screen shows on dog mode :cool:

dog_mode.jpg
No need to put stickers on

Reactions: Prairie