Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dog owners -- anyone have a VarioCage in the cargo space?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a Model Y owner, considering switching to the refreshed Model X. Currently, I'm unable to fit a crate in the cargo area for my dog that's large enough for her, yet she just fits otherwise. We have a VarioBarrier HR (small) that keeps her from flying through the car if there was ever a head-on collision, but for overall safety, I'd still love a VarioCage setup.

The big issue is the sloped back of the Model Y. I'm wondering if the Model X has a little more room for the right sized VarioCage.

Let me know if you have a dog and a variocage in your Model X! Pictures would also be awesome.

Thanks!

There's room for an assembled 24x36" wire crate in the back of a 7-seater. We have a 50lb poodle, poodle legs are long so they need a bigg-ish crate even though they're not very big dogs by mass, he is still eye level with really big breeds and wouldn't be able to fold up his legs in anything smaller. We have one with a side door that works fine for this situation.

I hadn't seen the variocage before, tha'ts pretty sweet I'd think with the 60 side of the 60/40 2nd row in a 7seater slid forward (they slide independently) it could work.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Our pup needs, at a minimum, a 42" long crate. Right now, she has about 41" x 36" of floor space in the Model Y. When she stands, she has to haunch over a bit, but there's enough space for her legs to be fully up. We don't really want her to stand that much in the car anyway, so it's more about the floor space. I think, however, the Model X wouldn't have less headroom anyway.

Model Y.jpg

Variocage 00383 - Double Medium in a Tesla Model Y.
------
Hi,

I can answer your questions.

The largest Variocage you can fit in a Tesla Model Y is a Variocage 00383 - Double Medium. However, you must compress the Variocage to its minimum depth of 760mm/ 29.92inch. This reduces the available interior depth for the dog. However, if you have smaller dogs this may be OK. With a larger dog most people leave out the Center Divider so the dog has room lying down left to right and diagonally.

The largest Variocage you can fit in a Tesla Model X is a Variocage 00383 - Double Medium. However, you can extend this model to its full external length of 40.5" which give you 38.19" of internal depth in the cage.

4x4 North America is the exclusive North America importer of the only world's best Crash Tested Automotive Pet Safety & Travel Products including Variocage, MultiCage, VarioGate, VarioBarrier, CARE-2, AllSafe Harness and the AllSafe Comfort Harness.

You can always contact us directly for a sizing guarantee and to ask questions about our complete line of Crash Tested products. I will also be monitoring this forum to answer questions related to Safe Pet Travel, Crash Dynamics incoming Human Occupants and Canines in a Vehicle, Crash Testing Methodology ad general questions on how to travel safely with your family and pets in a vehicle.

I look forward to being of assistance to those who have questions or concerns.

Thank you.

Richard Casey
4x4 North America, Inc.

View attachment 635420
------
Hi,

The largest Variocage you can fit in a Tesla Model Y is a Variocage 00383 - Double Medium. However, you must compress the Variocage to its minimum depth of 760mm/ 29.92inch. This reduces the available interior depth for the dog. However, if you have smaller dogs this may be OK. With a larger dog most people leave out the Center Divider so the dog has room lying down left to right and diagonally.

The largest Variocage you can fit in a Tesla Model X is a Variocage 00383 - Double Medium. However, you can extend this model to its full external length of 40.5" which give you 38.19" of internal depth in the cage.

4x4 North America is the exclusive North America importer of the only world's best Crash Tested Automotive Pet Safety & Travel Products including Variocage, MultiCage, VarioGate, VarioBarrier, CARE-2, AllSafe Harness and the AllSafe Comfort Harness.

You can always contact us directly for a sizing guarantee and to ask questions about our complete line of Crash Tested products. I will also be monitoring this forum to answer questions related to Safe Pet Travel, Crash Dynamics incoming Human Occupants and Canines in a Vehicle, Crash Testing Methodology ad general questions on how to travel safely with your family and pets in a vehicle.

Thank you.

Richard Casey
4x4 North America, Inc.

Thanks a ton Richard. I actually spoke with you last year about getting the Variocage into the Model Y, but it looks like we'll have the same issue with the Model X. My dog's withers (from shoulder to floor) is already at 26", and maybe a bit more... hard to tell with all the fluff.

It's a bummer that the slope of these hatches are just too aggressive.

Thanks a ton Richard. I actually spoke with you last year about getting the Variocage into the Model Y, but it looks like we'll have the same issue with the Model X. My dog's withers (from shoulder to floor) is already at 26", and maybe a bit more... hard to tell with all the fluff.

It's a bummer that the slope of these hatches are just too aggressive.

@noshadow, I came across an interesting video below. Apparently, the rear trunk cover has two levels. On a 5-seat X, removing the “forward” cover and setting the rear cover to its lowest position may provide an additional 6” of cargo height across the entire trunk! Alas, in the 5-seater you give up the 2nd AC unit and rear vents of the 6- and 7-seater.

View at the 45-second mark of video:

Combined with 3:04 mark of below video:

Last edited:
Reactions: noshadow
View attachment 635420
------
Hi,

Thank you.

Richard Casey
4x4 North America, Inc.
I am new to Tesla Y and am looking for a travel crate or cage that fits. I have a Standard Poodle. I'd love your help with sizing of variocage.

What do you mean by "cargo strapped?" Did you use a ratchet strap around the entire crate? Under the floor? Do you mean in the cubby hole?
I didn’t see a response, but we just added tie downs to our 2021 model Y without any drilling for our variocage. Removed the rear trunk floor and the carpet in the bucket area and then used the existing bucket bolts to attach a motorcycle tie down. We ran a tie down strap from that hook under and to the outside of the side rails the the floor sits on.
D77F3E12-DEA1-4F56-BE5A-2C233C7D080E.jpeg

8E271D82-5A61-4619-8167-A8FF911D7635.jpeg

We put the variocage on a 2x4 platform that ends before the rear cargo platform so that we could still access the rear truck bucket.
36CF38A6-088C-404A-BEF6-058B9AAAD111.jpeg

Reactions: Genie
Hi … reading through this thread it appears the variocage double medium will fit into my new model Y … curious as to how big a dog will fit in this kennel? I have a 4 month old German Shepherd puppy that‘s projected to grow to 95 +/- lbs when full grown. Wondering if the kennel will give him enough room to move around. Appreciate any insights other members might have.

Thanks!

I'm trying to figure out the same thing. I've got a German Shepherd too and I'm trying to figure out if this will work for me... From the dimensions I've found it looks like he should fit lying down, but most likely won't be able to stand comfortably.

I'm trying to figure out the same thing. I've got a German Shepherd too and I'm trying to figure out if this will work for me... From the dimensions I've found it looks like he should fit lying down, but most likely won't be able to stand comfortably.
Appreciate the response … I tend to agree with you that the dog would not be able to stand, which may be ok for short trips. I’d like to know that they can at least turn around in the kennel. Hopefully someone with a big dog can weigh in.