Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dog-proofing the Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a yellow lab. She sheds a ton of hair so letting her ride in the front and rear seating sections of the car is a no-no. So I created a beige carpet lining for the entire rear hatch area of the car. I makes the hair disappear. I don't harness her in the car, and perhaps I should be scolded for that. I also created a roll out leather bumper protector to prevent scratches when she gets in and out of the trunk, Photos follow.
That second pic of your dog is adorable! I'm still unsure what I will do when I get my car (hopefully next month). I have three dogs (1 large and two medium sized), so if I put them in the back I think I'd still have to fold the rear seats down to give them some more space. Not sure how to harness them in tho because I'd be afraid they'd be jumping/rolling around all over. Right now they sit three wide in the back seat of my current car, but my corgi always ends up as the monkey in the middle and I feel a bit bad for him because he is too short to see out lol.

We just got our MS60 a week ago. We have 2, and sometimes 3 Border Terriers. Can't put them in the back because it will usually be full of stuff. We have black beach towels to cover the seats. I'll make a center console cover with some non-slip because as soon as they get in the car they try and sit there. My problem is that I am going to have to figure out a way to protect the whole front dash and screen. We leave them in the car quite a bit when we are at dog agility events. At at typical event we could have 3 dogs with 5 runs each so we are continuously switching dogs out for their events. The only place I can see to attach a front "wall" is from the visors. I sure am open for suggestions. I'll post pictures if I get something worked out.

That second pic of your dog is adorable! I'm still unsure what I will do when I get my car (hopefully next month). I have three dogs (1 large and two medium sized), so if I put them in the back I think I'd still have to fold the rear seats down to give them some more space. Not sure how to harness them in tho because I'd be afraid they'd be jumping/rolling around all over. Right now they sit three wide in the back seat of my current car, but my corgi always ends up as the monkey in the middle and I feel a bit bad for him because he is too short to see out lol.

Thanks. She's approaching 14 years now and I shudder to think about losing her. She's the sweetest most human friendly dog I've ever seen. Took her in Model S to California for TMC connect a few years ago (an 7,000 mile trip)-- she had a great time. My brother rode along with his Cockapoo. We did have to fold the rear seats down to make more room for the dogs on that long a trip.

Reactions: skitch23 and Skipdd
Thanks. She's approaching 14 years now and I shudder to think about losing her. She's the sweetest most human friendly dog I've ever seen. Took her in Model S to California for TMC connect a few years ago (an 7,000 mile trip)-- she had a great time. My brother rode along with his Cockapoo. We did have to fold the rear seats down to make more room for the dogs on that long a trip.

She's adorable in that second photo. Can she still hop in and out okay? My lab is around 12 and he's started having issues hopping into the bed (yes, we let him in the bed). Even with a roll-out, the idea of a dog scrambling against the bumper freaks me out more than hair in the back seat on the floor, where my dog has always gone in previous cars.

She's adorable in that second photo. Can she still hop in and out okay? My lab is around 12 and he's started having issues hopping into the bed (yes, we let him in the bed). Even with a roll-out, the idea of a dog scrambling against the bumper freaks me out more than hair in the back seat on the floor, where my dog has always gone in previous cars.

She can only get over the rear bumper if I back into a curb or other higher place. Otherwise I have to assist her. I do that by placing her front legs on the bumper then lifting her hind legs into the car. She knows the drill now.

She had surgery on both of her rear legs when she was about 7. If the surgery hand't been don't she probably wouldn't be able to get up and down stairs now, which she does quite well.

Reactions: Gig103 and msnow
I recently bought one ot these BlackMats. It is customized on order to fit the model S year and options. I added the optional bumper protection flap. I have been using the BlackMat for my large dog and particularly like the fact that it works with the rear seats either up or down, as I only use the seats up (small cargo area) for very short trips with the dog but put them down so he has more room for longer journeys. BlackMat is easy to install and also to remove. With the seats up the Tesla cargo area cover still fits in place. This is a well thought-out Model S ancillary and I recommend it for transporting dogs or bicycles.

I constructed my dog transport module using three products: 1) folding blowmold plastic platform; 2) seat liner with mesh panel; and, 3) side panel skirts. You can see the telescoping aluminum leg in the footwell of the backseat. The platform provides a hard and stable footing for my two dogs. There is still plenty of room for them to get up and turn around, but mostly they just lie side-by-side and snooze. For me it was key because they didn’t like the hammock sling style of the seat liner. The mesh panel was also important to allow adequate a/c flow to their area.

5CC6844B-146B-4D41-A90D-1F4519319931.jpeg
9E2AC125-D4EA-40EE-B6A9-476F10347369.jpeg

Reactions: masamitsu
Sadly I had to put my yellow lab down a few weeks ago. Old age (14 1/2) did her in. But we’re getting a golden doodle in a few weeks, so I’ll keep the set up I created for Button (the yellow lab). Of course a golden doodle sheds very little so she may ride in other parts of the car when she’s a pup. Button slept most of the time she rode in the trunk area but she could sit up just fine when she wanted.

Artsci. So sorry to hear about your beautiful Lab passing on. Put our Yellow Lab (age 16.5) down 2 months ago - nearly killed me. Will be taking the other two dogs - small mutt and black lab on trips to the mountains. I am torn between having the dogs ride in the back seat with a cover on the seat and riding all the way in the back. I think I can set the back up so if we had an accident they would not be thrown around the car (i.e., the metal/adjustable dog barriers that go behind the second row seat). Not so sure I can create a safe place on the rear seat. Planning a trip in a couple of weeks.

Artsci. So sorry to hear about your beautiful Lab passing on. Put our Yellow Lab (age 16.5) down 2 months ago - nearly killed me. Will be taking the other two dogs - small mutt and black lab on trips to the mountains. I am torn between having the dogs ride in the back seat with a cover on the seat and riding all the way in the back. I think I can set the back up so if we had an accident they would not be thrown around the car (i.e., the metal/adjustable dog barriers that go behind the second row seat). Not so sure I can create a safe place on the rear seat. Planning a trip in a couple of weeks.

Thanks @dog_car. I understand, and sorry about yours as well. 16.5? I thought Button was old. 16.5 is more than three years beyond the average lifetime of a lab.

We were heartbroken when we put her down and I'm still grieving. Button was our first dog and I didn't know how much I could love a dog. She had a very sweet personality and was adored by everyone who met her. She accompanied my brother and his Cockapoo on our trip from Baltimore to San Jose for TMC Connect in 2015 and she was with me for most of the sessions there. She was my TeslaDog:) and a great companion. We're planning to get a Goldendoodle puppy in a few weeks -- having a new puppy in the house should help fill the hole in our hearts left with Button's passing.

DSC_6150.JPG

Last edited:
I constructed my dog transport module using three products: 1) folding blowmold plastic platform; 2) seat liner with mesh panel; and, 3) side panel skirts. You can see the telescoping aluminum leg in the footwell of the backseat. The platform provides a hard and stable footing for my two dogs. There is still plenty of room for them to get up and turn around, but mostly they just lie side-by-side and snooze. For me it was key because they didn’t like the hammock sling style of the seat liner. The mesh panel was also important to allow adequate a/c flow to their area.

View attachment 258930 View attachment 258931

Beautiful dog!

Reactions: George Jetson
I've also Dog proofed my Tesla:

TDG1203.jpg

This option is called: "Volvo V70". It's a great addition to your Tesla. The benefits are:

• Cleaner Tesla
  • No stinking wet-dog smell
  • No scratches from the dog getting into the car
  • Always a quiet Tesla ride
My wife wanted a Labrador Retriever. This devilish monster, I mean family member, is now 7 months old. When I ordered my Tesla, the first thing I told my wife: Ain't no dog coming in my car

So hence, the Volvo

Got something like this from Amazon. Quilted, waterproof, microfiber and had slots to clip in a restraint but you can also use a restraint that's designed for use with seat belts. We prefer directly hooking our Labradoodle to the seatbelt. They're under $30

Solvit Deluxe Hammock Car Seat Cover for Dogs - 1800PetMeds

View attachment 163350

I am waiting for my Model 3 delivery and looking for dog proof options. I have a labradoodle just like your and will take up your suggestion

View attachment 258930 View attachment 258931

Do you have links to the products you use? Amazon is so confusing