Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dog-proofing the Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a new Model S on the way and are trying to figure out how to transport our 50 lb. Labradoodle without damaging the interior. The key constraint is that I'm a strong believer that our dog, like any other beloved (or even not so beloved) passenger, should be restrained with a belt/harness when the car is moving.

In our current car the dog wears a harness through which the regular seat belt threads, and we place a towel on the seat when he rides in it, but this car is older and far less nice than a Tesla. I'm thinking about a removable, after-market seat cover, if one exists. I'd also be open to having the dog ride in rear trunk area under the hatch if we can find a way to restrain him safely in that location. (We are not getting the rear-facing seats.)

I'm curious to know how other dog owners handle this issue.

Reactions: M-o-D
There is a clip at the rear center of the folding seat back that is used to secure the rear center console if you have one. You could have a strap go under the rear folding seat back to secure your dog. There are multiple seat covers to protect the interior. No hair, so it is just for dirt and scuffing.

I've recently become aware that many of the methods for restraining our pets (principally dogs) in cars are neither tested or, when tested, are proven to be quite dangerous to human and animal. The only unbiased agency examining this issue seems to be the Center for Pet Safety Welcome to the Science of Pet Safety!, a non-profit group trying to put some concrete data behind pet restraint systems. I read that Subaru is a big contributor to this organization because more Subaru owners travel with pets than do owners of any other automobile make.

I encourage anyone shopping for an automobile pet restraint to take a look at the CPS site.

We have a new Model S on the way and are trying to figure out how to transport our 50 lb. Labradoodle without damaging the interior. The key constraint is that I'm a strong believer that our dog, like any other beloved (or even not so beloved) passenger, should be restrained with a belt/harness when the car is moving.

In our current car the dog wears a harness through which the regular seat belt threads, and we place a towel on the seat when he rides in it, but this car is older and far less nice than a Tesla. I'm thinking about a removable, after-market seat cover, if one exists. I'd also be open to having the dog ride in rear trunk area under the hatch if we can find a way to restrain him safely in that location. (We are not getting the rear-facing seats.)

Got something like this from Amazon. Quilted, waterproof, microfiber and had slots to clip in a restraint but you can also use a restraint that's designed for use with seat belts. We prefer directly hooking our Labradoodle to the seatbelt. They're under $30

Solvit Deluxe Hammock Car Seat Cover for Dogs - 1800PetMeds

294403c231ff14031efc2ec235a3506b.jpg

• Love
Reactions: M-o-D and Zfactor
OP, I use a Custom Canine Protector for my MS back seat and 65lb English Creme Golden Retriever -- had custom versions (meaning they are form fit to your model, not a generic solution) in my previous two Lexus RXh as well. It's not cheap, but fits well on the seat bottom and back, can be installed or removed in 5 mins for popping into the wash upon occasion, vacuums off easily during normal MS detailing, is waterproof on the top, yet padded enough on the underside and thick enough that nails are not a concern on your leather. It uses Velcro so you could have half of the back seats in a down position if you like, and it also has Velcro flaps over the seatbelts, so if you do decide upon some sort of harness that uses seat belt connections, that will remain an easy possibility.

It's not a problem with my girl, but the protector itself will not help if your companion puts paws on the window or perhaps on the arm rest... Other than that, and somewhat short Velcro loops that go around the top of the headrests, it works well for us.

...there are other options folks have used in their MS. Do a couple of searches, and you'll find IIRC at least a couple other threads with some other alternatives. IDK if there was info there about harnesses as well... I wasn't paying attention to that when I was researching this past summer before ordering my MS. Good luck.

I got one of these: Sakura Boot Liner Motorbike. This is a UK link but Amazon in the US might sell it. It is 'universal', so not tailored to the MS but it fits pretty well and has a flap that comes out over the rear bumper. It does protect the sides of the trunk and the seatbacks; you can undo a row of poppers (press-studs) each side so that it covers the seatbacks when they're flat(ish).

Reactions: shthpnz
Those canine seat protectors don't protect the inside of the doors. Is there anything that has flaps that might be used to cover the doors? I have a dog that drools a lot.
Mike's recommendation or similar version from Canine Protector is what I'm aware of. I had them, and they worked fine in my former Lexus RXh, but they didn't in my MS. Issue for me was they have a couple hardened plastic tabs on the top that slip between the glass and window gasket to hold them in place. Getting them in place is one thing when it's a tight fit. Rolling down the window for your companion to then pop it's nose out works fine ...but rolling up the window may be another. In my case, the cover stayed in place on my Lexus, but with my MS, the fit is so tight between the glass and gasket that the plastic tabs are raised when the window is, and the whole thing fell off every time while I was driving down the road when my girl lays down at higher MPH... (and I'm not going to glue velcro to my door). Fortunately, she's not a big drooler, so I do without door covers now. I suggest you give them a try and see how they work out on your MS.

Last edited:
Mike's recommendation or similar version from Canine Protector is what I'm aware of. I had them, and they worked fine in my former Lexus RXh, but they didn't in my MS. Issue for me was they have a couple hardened plastic tabs on the top that slip between the glass and window gasket to hold them in place. Getting them in place is one thing when it's a tight fit. Rolling down the window for your companion to then pop it's nose out works fine ...but rolling up the window may be another. In my case, the cover stayed in place on my Lexus, but with my MS, the fit is so tight between the glass and gasket that the plastic tabs are raised when the window is, and the whole thing fell off every time while I was driving down the road when my girl lays down at higher MPH... Fortunately, she's not a big drooler, so I do without door covers now. I suggest you give them a try and see how they work out on your MS.

Good thing you mentioned that. I've never used them and my dog isn't a big drooler.

I have a yellow lab. She sheds a ton of hair so letting her ride in the front and rear seating sections of the car is a no-no. So I created a beige carpet lining for the entire rear hatch area of the car. I makes the hair disappear. I don't harness her in the car, and perhaps I should be scolded for that. I also created a roll out leather bumper protector to prevent scratches when she gets in and out of the trunk, Photos follow.

DSC_3495.JPG

DSC_3499_1.JPG

DSC_5123.JPG