Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dogbone adaptors that work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking for an adaptor to go form the NEMA 14-50 to the 30amp TT-30R plug. I was looking throught the forums but there are so many discussions on this I could not find a confirmed solition. Will an adaptor like this one from amazon work?
Camco 55185 RV Powergrip 30M/50F Amp 18" Dogbone Electrical Adapter with Handles 125Volts/3750Watts
41MT7THQR0L._SS500_.jpg

I'm specifically looking on Amazon cause I need the item delivered overnight.

Lets see if someone else responds, but I think that may NOT work. I think that will provide "one leg" on the NEMA14-50 so 120V between one hot and neutral, and the other hot left floating, so no 240V for the UMC.

You can get little "dongle adapters" that convert TT-30 to NEMA5-15 like this:
nema-tt-30sm.jpg

Then you might be able to use Roadster VDS to boost the amp draw a bit, but it will still be only 120V.

Best to look for a real (240V available) NEMA14-50 at campsites, hotels, and RV parks...

The MC240 is hardcoded to generate a 30amp pilot signal.
If you follow the instructions in the other thread and make an adapter from the TT-30 plug to a plug your MC240 supports (nema 14-50 socket ) and then plug your MC240 into it, you must be very careful to limit the current draw to 24amps on your VDS.
If you do that, then you should be able charge at 120volts and 24amps.
Because of the fixed charging overhead, you get more than double the charge rate when you charge at 24amps versus 12amps.
Since its about $15 in parts from Home Depot, I think its well worth it.

I'm looking for an adaptor to go form the NEMA 14-50 to the 30amp TT-30R plug. I was looking throught the forums but there are so many discussions on this I could not find a confirmed solition. Will an adaptor like this one from amazon work?
Camco 55185 RV Powergrip 30M/50F Amp 18" Dogbone Electrical Adapter with Handles 125Volts/3750Watts
View attachment 3967I

I'm specifically looking on Amazon cause I need the item delivered overnight.

I tried one of these yesterday at an RV park with 50 amp and 30 amp service. My NEMA 14-50 adaptor worked when plugged directly into the 50 amp service and charged at 25 miles/hour. When I tried my TT-30 adaptor into the 14-50 NEMA adaptor into the mobile connector, the connector did not register power at all. The above adaptor will not work.

I tried one of these yesterday at an RV park with 50 amp and 30 amp service. My NEMA 14-50 adaptor worked when plugged directly into the 50 amp service and charged at 25 miles/hour. When I tried my TT-30 adaptor into the 14-50 NEMA adaptor into the mobile connector, the connector did not register power at all. The above adaptor will not work.
Right. The answer on these is very straightforward. The thing you are buying would need to spell out explicitly in the product description that it is "wired for EV charging". It must say that, or it will not work. If they don't say that, then they are just the normal ones for camping and RVs and mobile homes, and those are wired in a different way that just won't show any voltage to an EV for charging.

Many RVs and trailers just treat NEMA 14-50 as 2 120V circuits, and don't expect to get 240V from it.
The RV park may replicate the same phased 120V on both sides so they don't add up to 240V.
You need to have out of phase 120V circuits to get 240V across both.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H

Forget the dogbone. As mentioned above, it is wired incorrectly for EV usage. Even if it were wired correctly, you'd have to remember to manually dial down the amperage to 24 amps.

Although Tesla doesn't offer an official TT-30 adapter for the mobile connector, evseadapters does:

TT-30 Adapter for Tesla Model S/X/3/Y Gen 2 – EVSE Adapters

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H