TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Dogs are better drivers than cats.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by FreeOfPge, Nov 12, 2013.

1. FreeOfPge

FreeOfPge Member

Dogs are taller, more intelligent and imo better drivers. If a dog were driving this vehicle there would have been far fewer problems, imho.

I had a Tesla," Clooney told the magazine. "I was one of the first cats with a Tesla. I think I was, like, No. 5 on the list. But I'm telling you, I've been on the side of the road a while in that thing, and I said to them, 'Look, guys, why am I always stuck on the side of the f***ing road? Make it work, one way or another.'"

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/george-clooney-not-happy-tesla-140211099.html

2. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Gut reaction:

3. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Whole thread on Roadster Cats over here.

4. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

+100 Absolutely correct. Also "I'm a self centered celebrity that doesn't like dealing with real world issues that regular people have to deal with."

5. SwedishAdvocate

SwedishAdvocate Active Member

#5 SwedishAdvocate, Nov 13, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
    Are you sure?

George Clooney - Humanitarian work - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Personally I think it would be kind of cool if he publicly announced that he had just ordered a Model S. And that actually doesn’t feel like it’s completely out of the realm of the possible... Or then again – maybe he’s just a really hardcore Tango fan… :rolleyes:

Clooney_Tango.jpg

6. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

I'll give you that. It could easily be that I am the one that is being self centered. :)

I would argue that being a celebrity does skew your world view however.

7. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I think of these as different things. I'm not saying the latter doesn't have value (as it definitely does) but it's not evidence that Grendal's position is incorrect.

An example:
    (A) Donating to a soup kitchen, or managing its finances.
    (B) Spending every Saturday for a year at a soup kitchen serving, cleaning up tables, doing first aid if needed, etc.

These are different ways of giving. (A) sounds more like Clooney's involvement described in the latter quote. (B) is what Grendal is talking about in the former quote. Or at least that was my read.

A Tesla example might be:
    (A) Investing in the stock.
    (B) "Donating your time" to help troubleshoot day-to-day problems with an early VIN vehicle rather than whining about how it inconvenienced you sometimes.

8. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

9. SwedishAdvocate

#9 SwedishAdvocate, Nov 13, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
    :biggrin:

- - - Updated - - -

I will let Grendal chime in about that if he wants to. :wink:

- - - Updated - - -

The Huffington Post | George Clooney Spends Nespresso Paycheck On Spy Satellite To Keep Tabs On Omar Al-Bashir

I haven’t really followed this issue, and I also will not claim to be an expert in any way, but it seems to me that keeping a satellite is hard to do with your (B) above… To me, it seems the only way to get a satellite, is by doing (A)… :cool:

- - - Updated - - -

And since we’re already off topic in the Off Topic section… :wink:

About that soup kitchen analogy…

What do you think about – instead of (A) or (B):

(S) In a proportionate election to a single parliament, voting for a so called ‘big government solution’ (i.e. progressive taxation), where all the citizens combined through their own government make sure that everyone, – no matter what[SUP]1[/SUP] – gets:

– A decent roof over their heads (with walls, a window, a door with a lock, a kitchen, a bathroom and a bare minimum of furniture and home appliances).

– Healthcare if medically justified.

– Dental care if needed.

And money to buy:

– Food, so they don’t starve.

– Clothes, so they don’t freeze or have to resort to rags.

– Glasses if needed.

– And an occasional haircut.

:rolleyes:

10. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Race to the bottom. Economic collapse.

No incentive -> no motivation for achievement -> none or low quality work -> everybody gets crap, or maybe even nothing.

And then, in an good roll of the dice situation, it might begin again with "well that was a horrible idea, maybe we should ...".

11. SwedishAdvocate

So do you think you yourself, Elon and the many able and highly skilled people on this forum for instance would decide to go for this the absolute lowest socioeconomic standard?

There would still be plenty of incentive. As I understand it, something like (S) above would not cost that much at all.

In Sweden during the sixties and seventies for example, many people behind corporate entities like H&M, IKEA, ABB, SAAB, Volvo, AstraZeneca, Tetra Pak, Atlas Copco, Electrolux, SKF (ball bearings) and many, many more, did very, very well even though the tax levels were somewhat higher in Sweden than in the US…

12. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Volume dilution of their efforts. If you surround a genius with 999 idiots, he/she can only do so much.