Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dogs in a Model S??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Newfoundlands have better traction control.

P.S. Kudos to Roseanne for the backmat. Drove all day, no slippage and no messes, an accomplishment with Newf drool. She even designed a foldout flap that covers the bumper for us.

Loki in MS.jpg

Borealis update:
March 10 is 70 days after the New Year's Eve accident. He's been to the vet more times in that period than all my malamutes over the past 30 years combined - not good. He still is not walking on all 4 - but now it's fairly obvious it's "pain memory" that's holding him back. So we're working with him on tricks to get him to use the affected limb - like getting him to "crawl" using that leg to get a Yummy Chummy treat and so on. His bone marrow donor site scar and the stainless splint scar have nicely healed; on the other hand, insult to all the injury revealed itself a week ago when his support bandage was removed: When they shaved his leg (his fur is intensely thick and matted - he's what's known as a Wooly Malamute - they mowed right through the dewclaw pastern, removing it entirely - OUCH! No wonder he's been in pain. Poor fella.

I thought I'd share the below with all. With the onset of warm weather, I know that there are some central Arizonans - including LEOs, possibly - who take umbrage...or a hammer....when they see animals inside parked vehicles. I completely empathize with them, but with the Tesla App and its climate control, Model Ss are the ideal vehicle for your pooch.
So this is the notice we created, made copies for both sides of the vehicle, and slipped into clear sleeves. We close the door on them as we exit the vehicle. Happy to hear of others' suggestions, but we like the responses we've noticed as we've surreptitiously spied on passers-by.

DSC_7235.JPG

Yes - that's a good point. We know that, and have to continuously monitor it. You can re-turn it back on.
Okay, wanted to make sure that was still true so that someone else doesn't put a similar sign in their car and unwittingly roast their pet if they are away for more than 30 minutes.

I guess one could attempt to use the VisibleTesla scheduler to setup periodic points in time when it would turn the A/C back on, but that probably is more of a hassle to setup than just checking the car status using the remote app every 30 or so minutes.

You might want to change the url from tesla.com to Tesla Motors | Premium Electric Vehicles

I thought I'd share the below with all. With the onset of warm weather, I know that there are some central Arizonans - including LEOs, possibly - who take umbrage...or a hammer....when they see animals inside parked vehicles. I completely empathize with them, but with the Tesla App and its climate control, Model Ss are the ideal vehicle for your pooch.
So this is the notice we created, made copies for both sides of the vehicle, and slipped into clear sleeves. We close the door on them as we exit the vehicle. Happy to hear of others' suggestions, but we like the responses we've noticed as we've surreptitiously spied on passers-by.

View attachment 45025

oops!
I put that last line in for two reasons: one as a smidgen of a cop-out...so that anyone would think there was something a bit "official" in this otherwise obviously homemade piece, and second, for a bit of marketing. It was at the end of a long afternoon and I didn't get the url quite right there...... :(

IN OTHER NEWS>>>>> Borealis today took his first steps! He put together a series of as many as thirteen steps - the first time he has put any weight on his paw; until now he has been hopping around on only three. What a long road to recovery this has been - but at least we now think he'll re-join the dog-world and stop being a bunny rabbit.

That's not fair! In Hawaii you get license plates that say "ELECTRIC"...

Congrats on the award too! My Maltese isn't quite to that level.

I didn't know that Cali doesn't have EV plates? In Hawaii, you can opt for personalized plates but then you don't get all the EV benefits the State has (free public parking, carpool lane privileges, etc).

Good luck with your Maltese..I haven't seen any doing agility here.

Last edited:
We have one of these: Large Dog Throws and Pet Blankets by Crypton at Home that we lay on the folded down seat. We use the 60/40 split seat so baby is in the middle and dog on the 40 side folded down with the blanket on it. She went on her first ride last night and although put her paws on the window sill the sill looks no worse for wear. But my girl has almost no hair so don't have to worry about shedding.

View attachment 12674

We have 2 Weims. They havent been in our Model S yet.