Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dogs in Model X - best way to keep clean & scratch-free

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your dogs look happy! This is by far the most expensive car purchase I've ever made, so I'm a bit paranoid when it comes to the dogs in the MX. I'm sure over time I'll be less nervous about it. It's only 3 days new, so It's nice to keep it that way!

It's kind of crazy but if you said tomorrow I could choose two between Serenity (our Model X), Lucy, and Gabby (our two dogs), I'd choose Lucy and Gabby. They are family, Model X is a thing. Would I spend as much on surgeries for the dogs as we've spent on Model X? I hope I never have to make a decision like that.

Reactions: HerrJones
I have the Evannex pet cargo cover and it works well in my 6-seater Model X. However, our dog wants closer contact, so she will have her dog bed In-between the second-row seats. We have made a cover for the front-seat arm rest because we know she'll want to get into my wife's lap from time to time. Mid-sized dog - Portuguese Waterdog. She's going with us as we start our cross-continent tour this weekend - Maryland-California and back.

Reactions: SSD420
It's kind of crazy but if you said tomorrow I could choose two between Serenity (our Model X), Lucy, and Gabby (our two dogs), I'd choose Lucy and Gabby. They are family, Model X is a thing. Would I spend as much on surgeries for the dogs as we've spent on Model X? I hope I never have to make a decision like that.
Trust me. I know exactly how you feel. My dogs (and cats) are family. The Model X is literally just a toy. A very very very expensive toy.

I have the Evannex pet cargo cover and it works well in my 6-seater Model X. However, our dog wants closer contact, so she will have her dog bed In-between the second-row seats. We have made a cover for the front-seat arm rest because we know she'll want to get into my wife's lap from time to time. Mid-sized dog - Portuguese Waterdog. She's going with us as we start our cross-continent tour this weekend - Maryland-California and back.

I plan on trying out the Evannex pet cargo cover.

Any issues with shedding?

I plan on trying out the Evannex pet cargo cover.

Any issues with shedding?

The Evannex cover looks like an awesome solution when you are transporting dogs with no cargo. Our use case is driving to the in-laws for holidays with luggage, baby, dogs, etc in tow which is why we have the dogs cooped up to the third row in my above pics. If we only needed to move the dogs locally I'd totally go for the evannex solution as it covers the sides of the third row.

Even though we have limited cargo space with the third row up, we are thinking about renting a small Uhaul trailer on our return journey from the in-laws over Christmas because we know our little guy is getting a Power Wheels vehicle from them which would be pretty much impossible to transport without a trailer. Thankfully it isn't a long distance and even if we had to stop and charge we could.

Can you show pics of your MX setup for your dogs?

In my previous car, a 2012 Toyota Camry SE, typically my Lab X Husky liked to stand and/or lay down in my backseat. I would put blankets on the leather / ultra suede seats. My little guy, Spaniel X has always been scared of cars. I've wondered if it's merely the engine noise of ICE cars, but he likes to sleep UNDER my passenger front seat. By folding down the third row and blocking off the 2nd row, I was hoping to keep both dogs together and stop him from going under the seat.
Will take a few and post them tomorrow... :)

Thanks. I ordered the evannex dog thingee. Plus the Lloyd's Rubberite mats
Here is our current setup when traveling with the dogs... We bought some Wetsuit seat covers at Costco for the middle row and have two body pillows on the floor. The rear has the S carpet with the dog bed on top. You still get a few dog hairs which will always occur but keeps it pretty clean and protects most of the areas.
IMG_20160714_083731.jpg

IMG_20160714_083630.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: ModelX
image.jpeg
image.png
image.png
image.png
Okay so here's my initial reviews for the Evannex pet cargo liner. (I've attached pics!)...

After installing it looked pretty good (wish it was a darker colour, though). It appeared like it was going to work very well. In fact, in a 7 seater, I think it would have been perfect. Unfortunately I have a 6 seater, so my little one jumped over into the second row and hid under my drivers seat. My big one tried to jump over and had we not commanded her to stop, probably would have done the same,

I had my gf sit in the second row and keep them from trying to jump over as we had to drop them off at the dog sitter's for a few days. At first the big one wouldn't lay down and kept "trying" to escape to the front. One my regenerative brakes kicked in after speeding a bit, she fell over and eventually just stayed down.

My initial thoughts were that this was a fail, but I would like to test it a few more times, including a longer trip to the cottage. Once the dogs get used to this being their area and pehaps adding a blanket or pillow will make it more comfortable as they are definitely not used to riding in the trunk.

P.S. Yes the big one still smelled a bit from being sprayed by a skunk a few days ago and I reluctantly allowed her in my MX - I had no other way to transport her :oops: . After I dropped them off, I ran bio defence mode and I definitely noticed the smell dissipate. My Model X is back to smelling brand new again! :D

I wouldn't rule out this cargo liner just yet - but had I been alone, without me gf's help, both of my dogs would have ridden in the second row without my blessing.

• Informative
Reactions: irishstoutaz
In my S with the rear facing seats, there are two latch hooks on the sides by the wheel well trim. We use these hooks to tether/leash our dogs with a body harness on a short 2' or so tether, one dog on each side. It also allows us to open and close the rear hatch without fear of them bolting out.

I remember searching in the X to see if the 3rd row seats have latch connectors, possibly use that to tie down the dogs? You may need to cut a hole in the cargo liner to get the leash through. They can still circle around and lie down, but would prevent them from crashing into the cabin if you had an accident.

Attachments

• File Jul 16, 6 01 57 PM.jpeg
    File Jul 16, 6 01 57 PM.jpeg
    743.1 KB · Views: 116
Reactions: CmdrThor and SSD420
View attachment 185639 View attachment 185640 View attachment 185641 View attachment 185642 Okay so here's my initial reviews for the Evannex pet cargo liner. (I've attached pics!)...

After installing it looked pretty good (wish it was a darker colour, though). It appeared like it was going to work very well. In fact, in a 7 seater, I think it would have been perfect. Unfortunately I have a 6 seater, so my little one jumped over into the second row and hid under my drivers seat. My big one tried to jump over and had we not commanded her to stop, probably would have done the same,

I had my gf sit in the second row and keep them from trying to jump over as we had to drop them off at the dog sitter's for a few days. At first the big one wouldn't lay down and kept "trying" to escape to the front. One my regenerative brakes kicked in after speeding a bit, she fell over and eventually just stayed down.

My initial thoughts were that this was a fail, but I would like to test it a few more times, including a longer trip to the cottage. Once the dogs get used to this being their area and pehaps adding a blanket or pillow will make it more comfortable as they are definitely not used to riding in the trunk.

P.S. Yes the big one still smelled a bit from being sprayed by a skunk a few days ago and I reluctantly allowed her in my MX - I had no other way to transport her :oops: . After I dropped them off, I ran bio defence mode and I definitely noticed the smell dissipate. My Model X is back to smelling brand new again! :D

I wouldn't rule out this cargo liner just yet - but had I been alone, without me gf's help, both of my dogs would have ridden in the second row without my blessing.
Thanks for the review... We may hold off a little bit before getting another cover.

I would be very nervous driving with my dogs in the car if they weren't attached to anything. What if you get in a wreck? Seems like they would go flying. Ours wear car harnesses and I got some leads that buckle in to the third row seatbelt sockets. As mentioned above, this also prevents them from bolting before I get a chance to put their leash on when exiting the car.

Here is my makeshift solution for protecting things while they enter and exit the car:

IMG_0963.JPG

Reactions: SSD420
my little one jumped over into the second row and hid under my drivers seat. My big one tried to jump over

I have a similar set up with seven seats and my little one, at age 14, still managed to climb over into the second row while I was walking around from the hatch to my seat. The big one would go if he could but it is a tight fit and he’s not one to so much as push open a door.